How it's Made - Gliders

Old March 2nd 09, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

Default How it's Made - Gliders

I just ran across this for those of you who missed this segment on
Discovery Channel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxhwkM0ZXRM

Craig

Old March 3rd 09, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Part 1 of that episode is available in the link below. Start at 5:35 for
the glider part.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwiF8pi26Nc

Paul Remde

Old March 3rd 09, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Interesting -- SH is vacuum bagging the wings, and then curing in an
oven. I didn't know they were so high tech.

Old March 3rd 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Mar 2, 8:05*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
Interesting -- SH is vacuum bagging the wings, and then curing in an
oven. *I didn't know they were so high tech.

Ssshh! Everyone will want one!

Mike

Old March 3rd 09, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Craig" wrote in message
I just ran across this for those of you who missed this segment on
Discovery Channel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxhwkM0ZXRM

Craig- Hide quoted text -

The resins used in our modern gliders must be cured at 60 deg C for 12
hrs or more to achieve their full strength properties. Since you can't
see that the carbon cloth is completely wetted out, vacuum bagging is
used so that a minumum of excess resin is required. Not as low a resin
content as autoclaved prepreg but much less costly in terms of
equipment and tooling required since molds don't have to remain stable
at very high temperatures. Also more practical to field repair due to
materials used.
No axes are required to build a modern sailplane- nor rocks and
chisels.
Cool to see our stuff shown on TV.
UH
Old March 3rd 09, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Greg Arnold wrote:

"Craig" wrote in message
I just ran across this for those of you who missed this segment on
Discovery Channel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxhwkM0ZXRM

Interesting -- SH is vacuum bagging the wings, and then curing in an
oven. I didn't know they were so high tech.

Vacuum bagging has been used for many decades, even by people repairing
gliders, and you'll know it's "high tech" oven curing only when you can
order your new Ventus painted red!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old March 4th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Anyone else notice that when the wing is being put on during the assembly,
one of the auto hookups misses? Watch closely at 3:15 into Part 2.

Oops! I bet the "amatuers" that assembled and launched the Discus in
under a minute didn't have that problem!

Steve
Old March 4th 09, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Copeland[_2_]

Hmmm! Just as I had always suspected, there is a connection between gliding
and bell ringing!

Some of it looks more like cookery than engineering! Mix some ingredients
together and then bake in an oven for x hours!

Derek

Old March 5th 09, 08:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Real Doctor

On 3 Mar, 13:39, wrote:
Since you can't
see that the carbon cloth is completely wetted out, vacuum bagging is
used so that a minumum of excess resin is required.

Presumably it also helps to outgas the resin as much as possible. I
spent a couple of years of my life developing a standard test for
measuring resin-matrix bonds in composites...

No axes are required to build a modern sailplane- nor rocks and
chisels.

The final hand finishing is still pretty primitive!

Ian
Old March 5th 09, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 3, 7:30*pm, Steve Leonard wrote:
Anyone else notice that when the wing is being put on during the assembly,
one of the auto hookups misses? *Watch closely at 3:15 into Part 2.

I didn't see that first time but yes, it did miss and roll down the
side of the fuselage didn't it. Is that possible with everything
rigged properly?

Andy

I think we've made it through 2008... Bob Fry General Aviation 2 January 1st 09 02:42 AM
Science Channel - How It's Made - Gliders Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 19 November 20th 08 01:54 PM
2, People know that Swiss made watches are best, while the Asia madeare worst but cheapest, but Some of Asia made Oyster Perpetual Air King - AllStainless Steel are also close to a real thing that is in fact almostimpossible to tell the difference. [email protected] Piloting 0 April 26th 08 07:49 PM
Made in the USA Lou Home Built 37 August 3rd 06 02:10 PM
If they only made one for pilots. bryan chaisone Piloting 6 November 28th 04 06:44 AM