Looking for 2 Piper Control Wheels (Ram's Horn)

Old July 23rd 05, 11:24 PM
Mike Spera

Default Looking for 2 Piper Control Wheels (Ram's Horn)

Tired of the ugly bow tie yokes (and the repetitive inspections). Anyone
have 2 ram's horn 1.125" yokes for sale? Piper P/N 79276-00V.
Thanks,
Mike
Old July 24th 05, 02:26 AM
Dave S

Try a search for aircraft salvage yards...

www.asod.com for example.. (air salvage of dallas)

Dave

Old July 24th 05, 03:00 AM
Bob Noel

In article et,
Mike Spera wrote:

Tired of the ugly bow tie yokes (and the repetitive inspections). Anyone
have 2 ram's horn 1.125" yokes for sale? Piper P/N 79276-00V.
Thanks,
Mike

Back in 2002 I got a pair from Wentworth for my 140, and then
had the powdercoated by, iirc, Sanderson Aircraft.

Be prepared for the expense of the hardware and labor required
to install them. It was 19 hours to remove and replace, plus a
chunk of money for all the correct parts. Between the parts,
labor, yokes, and powdercoating, I think it was over $1500.

good luck

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old July 24th 05, 03:13 PM
Mike Spera

Bob Noel wrote:
In article et,
Mike Spera wrote:

Tired of the ugly bow tie yokes (and the repetitive inspections). Anyone
have 2 ram's horn 1.125" yokes for sale? Piper P/N 79276-00V.
Thanks,
Mike

Back in 2002 I got a pair from Wentworth for my 140, and then
had the powdercoated by, iirc, Sanderson Aircraft.

Be prepared for the expense of the hardware and labor required
to install them. It was 19 hours to remove and replace, plus a
chunk of money for all the correct parts. Between the parts,
labor, yokes, and powdercoating, I think it was over $1500.

good luck

Bob,

What is involved other than swapping the yokes at the ends of the
control shafts?

Were you converting from one shaft size to another?

Thanks,
Mike
Old July 24th 05, 05:35 PM
Bob Noel

In article .net,
Mike Spera wrote:

Back in 2002 I got a pair from Wentworth for my 140, and then
had the powdercoated by, iirc, Sanderson Aircraft.

Be prepared for the expense of the hardware and labor required
to install them. It was 19 hours to remove and replace, plus a
chunk of money for all the correct parts. Between the parts,
labor, yokes, and powdercoating, I think it was over $1500.

good luck

Bob,

What is involved other than swapping the yokes at the ends of the
control shafts?

Actually, it's kind of hard to just replace the plastic yoke. The part number
you specified in an assembly that includes the metal shaft and not just the yoke.
There is no separate part number for just the plastic bow-tie or rams horn yoke.
But if you can do it, that would be great because it'll save you a lot of money.

And now I finally remember why I had to do it (at least one anyway), it was
because one of the universal joints was worn beyond the service limit
and some moron had used a regular bolt instead of the tapered bolt.
So, in my case I had to replace the universals on one side anyway.

The universals are custom fit and blind drilled. It's probably unlikely
that the old universal will have the hole in the same place as the
replacement shaft. There is this special tapered bolt that has
to be fitted. I can't find my parts list that I used to order all the
stuff for the mechanic.

If you have access to the illustrated parts list, it's on page 3G16.

Were you converting from one shaft size to another?

nope.

Old July 26th 05, 01:00 AM
Mike Spera

I see. The bowties have a drift pin (or bolt/nut - cannot remember)
through the plastic. Not sure if the ram's horns are attached via a
fastener. So, I think you are telling me that they drill the u-joint
hole last after all is aligned and that each plane gets the hole drilled
in a different place. Sounds kooky.

Does not really matter. The boneyards don't have these things and nobody
has actually done an STC on a reasonably priced alternative. I can live
with the bowties for a LOOOOOONG time when we are talking $1000+ for a
purely cosmetic upgrade.

Thanks,
Mike

Old July 26th 05, 01:29 AM
Bob Noel

In article k.net,
Mike Spera wrote:

I can live
with the bowties for a LOOOOOONG time when we are talking $1000+ for a
purely cosmetic upgrade.

I hope your bowties don't develop cracks. For me, that was the initial reason
for going down that expensive path.

Old July 31st 05, 08:03 AM
Chuck

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:24:09 GMT, Mike Spera
wrote:

Tired of the ugly bow tie yokes (and the repetitive inspections). Anyone
have 2 ram's horn 1.125" yokes for sale? Piper P/N 79276-00V.
Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

I've been trying to replace the bow-tie yokes in my Cherokee 180 since
I bought it almost a year ago.

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding some for 1 & 1/8th inch
shafts -- I've found two or three used parts places that had them.
Try Stan at Faeth Aircraft Salvage 916-368-1832. He had a pair and
offered them to me for $150 a piece. My only problem is my Cherokee
has the older 3/4 inch shafts.

Only place that I found with the 3/4 inch shaft yokes wanted $995
EACH! I thanked him and let him know that he shouldn't hold them for
me...

Recently, I ran across someone selling Cherokee parts on eBay who told
me he can get 3/4 inch shaft yokes for $300 each with a 337 for
approval. I suspect that means a field approval which I'm not
interested in trying for. I've had a couple DERs and IAs tell me the
FAA informed them any incoming 337 will sit in an in-basket for at
least 90 days before being looked at. And of course, 9/10s of the FAA
people are so obsessed with covering their butts -- they won't approve
water to put out a fire. So, unless its an approved, PMAed, or STCed
part -- I'm not interested.

Good luck Mike. And send a post back if you want the names of the
other companies. Like I said -- they all had 1 & 1/8 shafts, so
they're no use to me...

Chuck

Old July 31st 05, 01:27 PM
Mike Spera

Chuck,

Thanks. I'll give them a call.
Mike

Old August 1st 05, 04:05 AM
George Patterson

Chuck wrote:

Good luck Mike. And send a post back if you want the names of the
other companies. Like I said -- they all had 1 & 1/8 shafts, so
they're no use to me...

You should be able to sleeve the larger yokes down to 3/4".

George Patterson