Boeing Formally Protests US Air Force Tanker Contract Award

Old May 8th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Boeing Formally Protests US Air Force Tanker Contract Award

On Wed, 07 May 2008 19:52:20 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote in
:

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

Well, you've got to give Boeing high marks for tenacity even if their
history of unethical/criminal behavior put them at a disadvantage in
this competitive bid for USAF tankers. Here's the latest:

"history of unethical/criminal behavior"? Aside from the Drunyan stuff,
what history are you thinking about?

(Note: I have no interest in Boeing and nothing against Northrup, I'm just
uncertain as to what history)

That's what I'm thinking about; isn't that enough? But there is the
issue with the CEO and something about sexual harassment that got him
fired, IIRC.
Old May 8th 08, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Larry Dighera wrote:

Well, you've got to give Boeing high marks for tenacity even if their
history of unethical/criminal behavior put them at a disadvantage in
this competitive bid for USAF tankers. Here's the latest:

"history of unethical/criminal behavior"? Aside from the Drunyan stuff,
what history are you thinking about?

(Note: I have no interest in Boeing and nothing against Northrup, I'm just
uncertain as to what history)

That's what I'm thinking about; isn't that enough? But there is the
issue with the CEO and something about sexual harassment that got him
fired, IIRC.

Are you talking about Clinton????? He didn't get fired did he?

Big John
Old May 8th 08, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Larry Dighera wrote:

Well, you've got to give Boeing high marks for tenacity even if their
history of unethical/criminal behavior put them at a disadvantage in
this competitive bid for USAF tankers. Here's the latest:

"history of unethical/criminal behavior"? Aside from the Drunyan stuff,
what history are you thinking about?

(Note: I have no interest in Boeing and nothing against Northrup, I'm just
uncertain as to what history)

That's what I'm thinking about; isn't that enough? But there is the
issue with the CEO and something about sexual harassment that got him
fired, IIRC.

Are you talking about Clinton????? He didn't get fired did he?

Big John

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2005Mar7.html
Boeing CEO Resigns Over Affair With Subordinate

By Renae Merle
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 8, 2005; Page A01

Boeing Co. announced yesterday that it forced its chief executive
to resign after an investigation uncovered that he had an affair
with a female employee.

Harry C. Stonecipher, 68, had rejoined Boeing from retirement 15
months ago to help repair the aerospace giant's reputation after a
string of military procurement scandals led to the resignation of
his predecessor.

Harry C. Stonecipher, 68, returned to Boeing on the heels of
scandal. (M. Spencer Green--AP)

Boeing officials said Stonecipher's ouster was a sign that the
company's board has little tolerance for missteps as it struggles
to regain its place as a leading global corporation. The board
used a code of conduct, adopted last year and proudly touted by
Stonecipher as evidence of Boeing's progress, to dismiss him.

"It's not the fact that he was having an affair" that caused him
to be fired, said Lewis E. Platt, Boeing's non-executive chairman.
"But as we explored the circumstances surrounding the affair, we
just thought there were some issues of poor judgment that . . .
impaired his ability to lead going forward."

It was another embarrassing blow for Chicago-based Boeing, whose
former chief financial officer Michael M. Sears was sentenced to
four months in prison last month for illegally negotiating a job
at the company for a former Air Force procurement official who
admitted showing Boeing favoritism for years. Boeing promoted
current finance chief James A. Bell to be interim chief executive
and launched an accelerated search for a permanent replacement.
Old May 8th 08, 08:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Benjamin Dover

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

Larry Dighera wrote:

[...]

So, according to you, a CEO of a corporation fooling around is bad, but it
is OK for the CEO of the United States, aka POTUS, to get a hummer from an
aide while in the Oval Office!

Old May 8th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Larry Dighera wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2005Mar7.html
Boeing CEO Resigns Over Affair With Subordinate

By Renae Merle
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 8, 2005; Page A01

Boeing Co. announced yesterday that it forced its chief executive
to resign after an investigation uncovered that he had an affair
with a female employee.

Boeing did exactly what the EEOC expects a company to do in this
situation. They investigated the complaint and terminated the employee
when they found wrong doing.
Old May 8th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2008-03-12 07:12:17 -0700, AJ said:

Boeing Formally Protests US Air Force Tanker Contract Award
Says KC-X RFP Differs From Criteria Cited In Going with KC-45A

Boeing's plane actually met the requirements of the request for
proposal. Airbus offered a more expensive plane that offered a cargo
capability and other features that Boeing was not allowed to offer.
Boeing could have offered a 747 tanker with the same capability, but
was discouraged from doing so. Then they selected the EADS design on
the basis of the cargo capability. Somebody had already decided from
the very beginning that the Airbus design would be selected and simply
rigged the bidding process to make sure Airbus won.

No doubt this was partially in revenge for the way Boeing was awarded
the original contract.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old June 18th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Now the real fun begins:

The Boeing Company
http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/index.html
Boeing Statement on Tanker Protest Ruling

ST. LOUIS, June 18, 2008 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] was informed today
that the Government Accountability Office (GAO) found in Boeing's
favor on a number of issues related to its protest of the U.S. Air
Force's award of a $35 billion contract to supply the service with
its next-generation aerial refueling aircraft -- or KC-X tankers
-- to begin replacing the current fleet of KC-135 tankers.

from Mark McGraw, vice president, Tanker Programs:

"We welcome and support today's ruling by the GAO fully supporting
the grounds of our protest.

"We appreciate the professionalism and diligence the GAO showed in
its review of the KC-X acquisition process. We look forward to
working with the Air Force on next steps in this critical
procurement for our warfighters."

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 07:12:17 -0700 (PDT), AJ
wrote in
:

Boeing Formally Protests US Air Force Tanker Contract Award
Says KC-X RFP Differs From Criteria Cited In Going with KC-45A

(From: Aero-News.net)

It's official. Citing irregularities with the process of the
competition and the evaluation of the competitors' bids, on Tuesday
Boeing filed a formal protest with the Government Accountability
Office (GAO), asking the agency to review the decision by the US Air
Force to award a contract to a team of Northrop Grumman and European
Aeronautic Defense and Space Company (EADS) to replace the aging fleet
of KC-135 aerial refueling tankers.

"Our analysis of the data presented by the Air Force shows that this
competition was seriously flawed and resulted in the selection of the
wrong airplane for the war fighter," said Mark McGraw, vice president
and program manager, Boeing Tanker Programs. "We have fundamental
concerns with the Air Force's evaluation, and we are exercising
our right under the process for a GAO review of the decision to ensure
that the process by which America's next refueling tanker is selected
is fair and results in the best choice for the U.S. war fighters and
taxpayers."

Following an internal analysis of data presented at a March 7
debriefing on the decision, Boeing concluded what began as an effort
by the Air Force to run a fair, open and transparent competition
evolved into a process replete with irregularities. These
irregularities placed Boeing at a competitive disadvantage throughout
this competition, the American plane maker asserts, and even penalized
Boeing for offering a commercial-derivative airplane with lower costs
and risks and greater protection for troops.

"It is clear that the original mission for these tankers -- that is, a
medium-sized tanker where cargo and passenger transport was a
secondary consideration -- became lost in the process, and the Air
Force ended up with an oversized tanker," McGraw said. "As the
requirements were changed to accommodate the bigger, less capable
Airbus plane, evaluators arbitrarily discounted the significant
strengths of the KC-767, compromising on operational capabilities,
including the ability to refuel a more versatile array of aircraft
such as the V-22 and even the survivability of the tanker during the
most dangerous missions it will encounter."

Boeing is asking the GAO to examine several factors in the
competition, that it states were fundamentally flawed: The contract
award and subsequent reports ignore the fact that in reality Boeing
and the Northrop/EADS team were assigned identical ratings across all
five evaluation factors: 1) Mission Capability, 2) Risk, 3) Past
Performance, 4) Cost/Price and 5) Integrated Fleet Aerial Refueling
Assessment. Indeed, an objective review of the data as measured
against the Request for Proposal shows that Boeing had the better
offering in terms of Most Probable Life Cycle Costs, lower risk and
better capability.

Flaws in this procurement process resulted in a significant gap
between the aircraft the Air Force originally set out to procure -- a
medium-sized tanker to replace the KC-135, as stated in the RFP -- and
the much larger Airbus A330-based tanker it ultimately selected. It is
clear that frequent and often unstated changes during the course of
the competition -- including manipulation of evaluation criteria and
application of unstated and unsupported priorities among the key
system requirements -- resulted in selection of an aircraft that was
radically different from that sought by the Air Force and inferior to
the Boeing 767 tanker offering.

Because of the way the Air Force treated Boeing's cost/price data, the
company was effectively denied its right to compete with a commercial-
derivative product, contrary not only to the RFP but also to federal
statute and regulation. The Air Force refused to accept Boeing's
Federal Acquisition Regulation-compliant cost/price information,
developed over 50 years of building commercial aircraft, and instead
treated the company's airframe cost/price information as if it were a
military-defense product. Not only did this flawed
decision deny the government the manufacturing benefits of Boeing's
unique in-line production capability, subjecting the Air Force to
higher risk, but it also resulted in a distortion of the price at
which Boeing actually offered to produce tankers.

In evaluating Past Performance, Boeing claims the Air Force ignored
the fact that Boeing -- with 75 years of success in producing tankers
-- is the only company in the world that has produced a commercial-
derivative tanker equipped with an operational aerial-refueling boom.
Rather than consider recent performance assessments that should have
enhanced Boeing's position, the Air Force focused on relatively
insignificant details on "somewhat relevant" Northrop/EADS programs to
the disadvantage of Boeing's experience.

"Boeing offered an aircraft that provided the best value and
performance for the stated mission at the lowest risk and lowest life
cycle cost," said McGraw. "We did bring our A-game to this
competition. Regrettably, irregularities in the process resulted in an
inconsistent and prejudicial application of procurement practices and
the selection of a higher-risk, higher-cost airplane that's less
suitable for the mission as defined by the Air Force's own Request For
Proposal. We are only asking that the rules of fair competition be
followed."

For better or for worse, they're gonna do it. Boeing announced early
Tuesday it will file a formal protest later today, asking the
Government Accountability Office (GAO) to review the decision by the
US Air Force to award a contract to a team of Northrop Grumman and
European Aeronautic Defense and Space Company (EADS) to replace aerial
refueling tankers.

"Our team has taken a very close look at the tanker decision and found
serious flaws in the process that we believe warrant appeal," said Jim
McNerney, Boeing chairman, president and chief executive officer.
"This is an extraordinary step rarely taken by our company, and one we
take very seriously."

Following a debriefing on the decision by the Air Force on March 7,
Boeing officials spent three days reviewing the Air Force case for its
tanker award. Boeing states a "rigorous" analysis of the Air Force
evaluation that resulted in the Northrop/EADS contract led the
American plane maker to the conclusion that a protest was necessary.

"Based upon what we have seen, we continue to believe we submitted the
most capable, lowest risk, lowest Most Probable Life Cycle Cost
airplane as measured against the Air Force's Request for Proposal,"
McNerney said. "We look forward to the GAO's review of the decision."

Boeing said it would provide additional details of its case in
conjunction with the protest filing on Tuesday. Stay tuned.

FMI: www.boeing.com, www.globaltanker.com

Old June 18th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

[...]

http://www.gao.gov/press/press-boeing2008jun18_3.pdf

Of particular note (to this non-lawyer) is:

"The GAO recommended that the Air Force reopen discussions with the
offerors, obtain revised proposals, re-evaluate the revised proposals,
and make a new source selection decision, consistent with the GAO¹s
decision. The agency also made a number of other recommendations
including that, if the Air Force believed that the solicitation, as reasonably
interpreted, does not adequately state its needs, the Air Force should amend
the solicitation prior to conducting further discussions with the offerors; that
if Boeing¹s proposal is ultimately selected for award, the Air Force should
terminate the contract awarded to Northrop Grumman; and that the Air Force
reimburse Boeing the costs of filing and pursuing the protest, including
reasonable attorneys¹ fees. By statute, the Air Force is given 60 days to
inform the GAO of the Air Force¹s actions in response to GAO¹s recommendations."

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old June 19th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:37:56 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for that information.

This looks like an opportunity for the USAF to perhaps end up with a
price reduction on the contract.

Here's an excerpt from Northrop Grumman's last press release before
the GAO ruling:

http://www.irconnect.com/noc/press/p....html?d=144827
In addition, more delay makes it more likely that money currently
set aside for the tanker program could be diverted to other
service or U.S. Department of Defense programs. The loss of these
funds would require drawing on monies set aside for the KC-X
program in 2009, which in turn would cause rippling delays to the
entire effort and ultimately increase the overall cost of the new
tankers.

"While Boeing was within its rights to protest, it has knocked the
program three months off schedule," Belote added. "Further delay
will achieve nothing but an increase in cost and risk." GAO
affirmation of the Air Force selection will be the second win in a
row for Northrop Grumman and the KC-45.

Old June 21st 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:25:49 -0400, John Smith wrote
in :

Norhtrup-Grumman announced the ground breaking for the Alabama assembly
facility will be next week.

That may be a bit premature.

Needless to say, American labor feels granting the contract to
Northrop Grumman will send too many US jobs overseas:

http://www.teamster.org/08news/nr_080619_1.asp
Hoffal Urges Air Force to Terminate Foreign Contract, Keep
Military
Jobs in U.S.

Keeping Military Manufacturing Jobs at Home A Matter of National
Security

June 19, 2008

(Washington, D.C.) – The Teamsters Union called on the U.S. Air
Force to terminate a $35 billion contract for 179 aerial refueling
tankers that it unfairly gave to a European manufacturer, and
award it to U.S.-based Boeing Co., keeping important military
manufacturing jobs in the United States.

The Government Accountability Office (GAO), the investigative arm
of Congress, cited major errors yesterday in the Air Force’s
selection of foreign-built Airbus A330, including unfairly
skewering the selection process and misleading Boeing. GAO said
the Boeing tanker is less costly to operate, saving American
taxpayers $8.5 billion over 25 years.

“The Air Force should be ashamed of supporting Europe’s military
readiness and economy at the expense of America’s during a time of
war and economic duress at home,” said Teamsters General President
Jim Hoffa.

With the GAO’s scathing report, the Air Force has little choice
but to reopen the competition, at the very least. The contract,
worth an estimated $108 billion over 25 years, would support
44,000 new jobs at home -- at a time when the United States needs
them the most. The nation’s unemployment rate soared to 5.5
percent last month, the biggest jump in 22 years. Americans lost
49,000 jobs in May.

“Our skills, knowledge, technology and capital are being packed up
and sent overseas,” Hoffa said. “America’s economic power, once
the envy of the world, is being threatened. We are giving away our
industrial base under the guise of so-called ‘free trade
agreements.’”