Vans RV-10

Old September 24th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Vans RV-10

Although I am still trying to sell my Vans RV-10 (lack of time---I have
a toddler), I have decided that I will keep it if I don't get any nice
offers. (in case anyone is interested,
http://welch.econ.brown.edu/n325hp/).

Now, I am still flying once a month with it to familiarize myself with
it. Flight characteristics are wonderfully simple---as easy as a piper
cherokee, and this at 50% faster and with fuel consumption that is
fairly similar at comparable speeds. Vans make amazing airplanes.
Alas, I find that the ground handling, like any other nose-steerable
plain with wheels close together and castoring front-wheel (eg SR-22),
is less pleasant. I am a low-time pilot, and not flying often does not
help.

So, I would love to ask some other RV-10 pilots what practices they
like best about landing. At 80 knots, the airplane is in slow-flight
mode---behind the power curve. still very easily controllable, but not
as crisp as it is at 110 knots. When I land with full flaps, I also
think it is not as easily controllable (tends to want to jump up again)
as when I land with 2/3 flaps. Finally, I find that it lands nicer
with a passenger than without one. In fact, I can usually grease the
landing in such situations. Am I imagining these characteristics, or
do other RV-10 pilots have the same experience?

I was thinking about landing another 10 knots slower for easier ground
handling, but even though this is still about 20 knots above stall
speed, the fact that it is in slow flight makes me hesitate. Any other
pilot experiences would be appreciated.

Regards,

/iaw

FWIW, I would sacrifice 5 knots in flying speed for wheels further
apart, bigger, and perhaps front wheel steerable. If nothing else, it
would make soft-field landings safer. I wish Vans and Cirrus and
everyone else offered some options to improve ground handling.

Old September 24th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jerry Springer

wrote:
[...]

You would probably get better response by posting to the RV-List or the
RV-10 list. I doubt that there are very many RV-10 pilots here in RAH.
When you say a low time pilot that does not tell me what your flying
experience is but by your descriptions that sounds like your problem.
A RV-10 as with any of the RV's is a very simple airplane to land. If
you as you say "tends to jump up again" with full flaps you are landing
to fast. 80 kts. is not in "slow flight mode" you should be able to
land very comfortably at 80kts. I would suggest you find a experienced
RV pilot in your area to show you how to fly your airplane.
Old September 24th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
.Blueskies.

It sounds like you are still too fast on final. Try it slower, maybe not the 10 knots you mention, but slower,
especially when solo...

Nice looking bird, btw....

:

Old September 25th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:23:52 GMT, ".Blueskies."
wrote:

It sounds like you are still too fast on final. Try it slower, maybe not the 10 knots you mention, but slower,
especially when solo...

1.3 Vso for final. Of course Vso is at gross so you need to be even
slower when light.

Nice looking bird, btw....

wrote in message ups.com...
:
: Although I am still trying to sell my Vans RV-10 (lack of time---I have
: a toddler), I have decided that I will keep it if I don't get any nice
: offers. (in case anyone is interested,
: http://welch.econ.brown.edu/n325hp/).
:

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com