Spanaway crash

Old October 20th 03, 03:04 AM
Dave Burton

Default Spanaway crash

Someone got upside down at Spanaway (WA) on Saturday. 1946 red
something, looked a little like a Stinson but I don't think so.
Anybody know more? I have a friend who owns a similar plane. Pilot
injured, pass. OK. Looked like a lovely plane. Shame. Hope the
pilot gets back on their feet soon.
Dave
C172 RNT,
RV6, wings
Old October 20th 03, 03:38 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Dave Burton wrote:
Someone got upside down at Spanaway (WA) on Saturday. 1946 red
something, looked a little like a Stinson

It's not getting any coverage here (west of Portland, OR) because
a Cessna 340 did a Vmc roll (speculation based on witness reports of a
single engine approach followed by a go-around for traffic on the runway
followed by an inverted impact) into the ground near Scappoose (SPB)
on the same day.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 20th 03, 06:39 AM
Chris Hoffmann

A guy's got an engine out, and he has to go around? Is this normal, or was
there some ball-dropping involved?

--
Chris Hoffmann
Student Pilot @ UES

Old October 20th 03, 07:40 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Chris Hoffmann wrote:
A guy's got an engine out, and he has to go around? Is this normal, or was
there some ball-dropping involved?

Another plane was on the runway.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 20th 03, 03:05 PM
Newps

Ben Jackson wrote:

Another plane was on the runway.

I don't get it. Land the damn plane. Move to one side or the other,
whatever.

Old October 20th 03, 04:24 PM
Bob Gardner

When you get your twin rating, Ben, and I know that you will, remember this:
Below 200 feet with an engine out, put it down somewhere...anywhere...do not
even think of going around.

Bob Gardner

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message

Old October 20th 03, 05:12 PM
Big John

Lost a good friend on SE. Commander of Vermont ANG F-89 Squadron.

Had and engine explode and was cleared to land SE. Another Aircraft
(civilian on joint use airport) pulled on R/W without clearance and he
took it around SE. On downwid the bird blew up killing both him and
his Radar Observer.

Also lost a very good friend trying to come aboard the carrier in a
F2H3 on SE, but that's another story.

Big John

Old October 20th 03, 08:11 PM
David H

It was incorrectly identified as a Cessna by the local TV news.

It sure looked like a Luscombe to me (even upside down and bent).

David H
Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

Old October 20th 03, 09:46 PM
Ben Jackson

In article l6Tkb.837378$uu5.148065@sccrnsc04,
Bob Gardner wrote:
When you get your twin rating, Ben, and I know that you will, remember this:
Below 200 feet with an engine out, put it down somewhere...anywhere...do not
even think of going around.

One key thing I've learned about flying it's that there are plenty of
things that sound easy on the ground but are much harder in practice.
For example, it's better to run off the end of the runway at 20kts than
to hit the tops of the trees at 60kts. But when actually confronted
with landing long on a runway with trees obstructing the go-around it's
a lot harder to commit to landing and overrunning than it is to try the
go-around.

When I read about an accident like this one I try to take away not only
the obvious lesson but also put myself in the position of the pilot and
think about why he didn't make the right decision. A decision he probably
could have made and argued for in an FBO lounge the day before but was
unable to make in flight.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/