A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Pin holes (again)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 4th 17, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Pin holes (again)

After removing all the gelcoat, a friend recommended applying a very thin cloth known as Vail to fill most pinholes. We brushed on epoxy and rolled on the Vail, followed with thin peal-ply, then squeegee'd it out with excess resin toward the trailing edges of the wing. Not sure it worked all that well and took two of us 4 hours + $400 bucks for Vail, resin and peal-ply. In some areas (near spoilers), we trapped some resin between the Vail and peal-ply which was full of pin holes!
I think the concept is good, but next time I believe I'll skip the Vail and just brush on epoxy and cover it with peal-ply. The resin has got to fill most pin holes and the peal-ply will leave the surface ready to prime.
Would like to know what others are doing?
JJ