Pin holes (again)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 4th 17, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Pin holes (again)

After removing all the gelcoat, a friend recommended applying a very thin cloth known as Vail to fill most pinholes. We brushed on epoxy and rolled on the Vail, followed with thin peal-ply, then squeegee'd it out with excess resin toward the trailing edges of the wing. Not sure it worked all that well and took two of us 4 hours + $400 bucks for Vail, resin and peal-ply. In some areas (near spoilers), we trapped some resin between the Vail and peal-ply which was full of pin holes!
I think the concept is good, but next time I believe I'll skip the Vail and just brush on epoxy and cover it with peal-ply. The resin has got to fill most pin holes and the peal-ply will leave the surface ready to prime.
Would like to know what others are doing?
JJ

Where do main pin holes come from? Bob Kuykendall Soaring 17 November 2nd 10 11:02 PM
Mystery holes. Monk Piloting 16 January 2nd 09 04:43 AM
Covering holes [email protected] Soaring 9 May 2nd 08 05:57 PM
When Poorboys drill holes ...was: Drilling holes in steel tubing wright1902glider Home Built 4 November 4th 05 01:19 AM
Filling Holes AKperson Owning 1 July 20th 05 03:54 PM