Notable Power Flarm saves - Is it 'worth it'?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 1st 18, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default Notable Power Flarm saves - Is it 'worth it'?

On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 8:01:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 7:59:26 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
When I installed Power Flarm (PF) in 2013, I had no idea whether it would ever 'save my butt'. Not many people have it in my area.......

Regarding Flarms and Transponders, I find it odd that my glider insurance isn't reduced when one of these is installed. I assume the insurance companies believe neither produces a significant reduction in accidents. However the worry of collisions, however remote, induced me to install something.

The hassle/cost/space/power/antenna considerations of fitting either system caused me to consider which (Transponder or Flarm) would be the best choice. My decision was to get a Trig 22 and not a Flarm. I also easily generated SIL=0 ADSB-out using one of my two existing onboard (uncertified) GPSs (I am experimental). I could move to SIL=3, but right now see not much added protection, and feel the price of a certified gps is a gouge.

My reasoning was that a transponder gave me better protection than Flarm from commercial power traffic, which seems the most catastrophic risk. I will be visible 'for free' to gliders with Flarm, which will see my transponder, and maybe my SIL=0 ADSB-out too.

I'm now looking for a low-cost ADSB receiver and traffic display, to be able to see all transponder traffic myself. Regrettably, I don't believe that will enable me to see Flarm-only traffic, but they will continue to be able to see my transponder.

Would anyone disagree that a Transponder is now a better choice than Flarm in the USA?

I second your opinion. With all its obvious merits, FLARM is glider-specific. It's not seen by the GA participants.

And BTW, if everybody is so concerned with the safety (including the FLARM people), how come we don't have inexpensive FLARM receivers on the market? Why can I get a cheap, under $100, ADS-B-in devices and follow the traffic through all kinds of apps, without having myself (yet) an ADS-B-out? Why can I get a TCAS or PCAS which informs me about transponder equipped planes around me - but no FLARM signal receivers which could show the targets on XCSoar even without the PowerFlarm in my ship?

Or maybe I'm wrong? Please correct me, let me know what cheap FLARM receivers are out there, and I will be happy to start my experience with the FLARM signals and increase safety, say by 20-50% ...

Power Flarm with ADS-B out? Dave Benjamin Soaring 24 May 19th 17 02:11 AM
Power Flarm Problems Charlie Flagg Soaring 18 August 27th 16 05:11 PM
Power Flarm [email protected] Soaring 3 May 25th 14 11:03 PM
Power flarm [email protected] Soaring 10 March 24th 14 02:31 AM
Power FLARM power Andy[_1_] Soaring 9 June 6th 12 12:38 AM