HOW MANY GLIDER PILOTS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB

Old September 21st 05, 10:06 PM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

Because of the thread drift I have started a new thread "Oximetry".

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Derrick Steed wrote:
This is exactly why Bill Daniels and I recommend pilots carry and use an

oximeter at all times, even while in the club house. This is
especially=20
important in high elevation areas, like Colorado.=20

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Might I suggest that you read the post on URASB regarding oxymeters and
caution regardingt their use, by Peter Saundby (the BGA medical advisor,
and retired wing commander from the RAF medical branch with significant
knowledge in regard to aeromedicine).

Severe "thread drift" from darksucking light bulbs, but I did read the
posting, and hope Peter will elaborate on what comprises "extreme caution
should be exercised when using oximetry at altitude because it can offer a
false assurance", if he thinks pilots would be better off leaving the
oximeter at home (given the difficulty of exercising extreme caution when
hypoxic), and what he might suggest in place of an oximeter to detect or
avoid hypoxia.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old September 21st 05, 10:06 PM
Derrick Steed

Peter Saundby is a Retired Air Commodore RAF Medical Branch.

Oops! My sincere apology to Peter Saundby, I had no intent to demean him
by my ignorance of his rank on leaving the service.

Rgds,

Derrick Steed

Old September 22nd 05, 12:37 AM
Tony Verhulst

You need to have more Youth involved in changing your
light bulbs. The lack of youth in lightbulb changing
is going to ruin this sport.

Nah, what you need are the new high power LED bulbs. They don't burn out
and they don't need changing. It's easy, all you need to do is to go to
the FAA (or your country's equivalent) and get it certif...... oh, never
mind.

Tony V.

Old September 22nd 05, 02:57 AM

recruiting drive for female members so that we can fill the
requirement for a sixth light
changing team member - a woman to tell all us men what we are doing wrong.
Yours,
Frustrated, UK.

Frustrated men looking for women?
Ooookaaayyy, there's too much light on THAT subject...

Old September 22nd 05, 05:59 AM
pbc76049

NONE.

Glider pilots aren't afraid of the dark...........

Scott

Old September 23rd 05, 05:52 AM
309

Scott wrote:
NONE.

Glider pilots aren't afraid of the dark...........

Scott

EXCEPT for when they land AFTER dark...

....and somebody's waiting for them...

....with a big stick.

Old September 23rd 05, 10:06 AM
Mal

Glider pilots aren't afraid of the dark...........

Scott

EXCEPT for when they land AFTER dark...

...and somebody's waiting for them...

...with a big stick.

AHHH the boogie man.

Old September 23rd 05, 09:04 PM

And after everything is said and done, some sucker is going to run to
WAL-MART to try purchase the cheapest high quality bulb possible, and
then he will run to COSTCO and demand that they sell him a cheapest
high quality socket...since they don't have one made in Germany for
that price he will whip-up his "politus interaptus" to make a call to
some friends and government entities and cry to them why everything is
made in China....

Old October 4th 05, 05:39 AM
309

Mal wrote:

AHHH the boogie man.

Don't talk about OUR tow pilots that way!

Everybody knows that (in North America), you can't change a glider
light bulb without a tow pilot.

Having worked both ends of the rope, I can attest it IS much easier to
change a bulb with the assistance of a tow pilot.

Having also been flung off of the cliffs of Torrey, and having "flown
out" from a six dollar winch launch at Elsinore, I can also attest that
you can change a bulb with the assistance of a winch "pilot." However,
it's usually not a bulb that will last long...akin to a "flash blulb."

It's still fun, even in a 1-26!

-Pete

Seniors Contest Bob Fidler Soaring 68 March 17th 05 03:50 AM
LS-4 ? What about 1-26 ? Ian Cant Soaring 63 December 1st 04 03:27 PM
Did commercial glider pilots used to give instruction? Mark James Boyd Soaring 7 December 19th 03 07:51 AM