Crowded Pattern

Old October 4th 05, 04:24 PM
Michael 182

Default Crowded Pattern

Was flying pattern work after a long layoff yesterday. Very crowded, with
five or six planes in or entering the pattern at Longmont (2V2), which has
one runway 29-11. I always try and keep a mental picture of every plane
approaching or in the pattern. Since I know the airport well, I can usually
place planes pretty well by their calls.

I announced and made the crosswind to downwind turn (left traffic for 11).
Two seconds later a Cherokee makes the same announcement. Immediate
sphincter tightening.

"Cherokee at Longmont, 6RP just turned crosswind to downwind, is abeam
numbers 29 at 6050, say position"

"Looking for you"

Well, that helps a lot. I have no idea where this guy is. I'm in a high
wing, he's in a low wing. I quickly checked below me, and 9 back to 6 (as
well as I can see 6 in a Skylane).

"6RP is descending and turning left toward midfield"

The Cherokee thanked me.

Before I've even reached the runway the Cherokee announces a turn to base.
There is no way this guy was anywhere near the turn from crosswind to
downwind at the same time I was, in fact, he was probably already past
midfield on the downwind. All he had to do was respond with "Cherokee is
midfield downwind" when I asked him to "say position".

No big deal, but it sure would be nice if people had a better feel for and
ability to communicate situational awareness in the pattern.

Michael

Old October 4th 05, 05:57 PM

No doubt this thread could go on forever with similar accounts of
questionable position reporting. I hear this often from the tower staff
at my airport - they get frustrated with pilots calling 5-6 miles out
when they're actually well inside the Delta. Sometimes with instructors
onboard.

Yikes.

Old October 5th 05, 12:51 AM
Jack Lee

Yeah, I fly to 2V2 sometimes (I fly from 1V5 and BJC, and I did my
checkride mostly at and around 2V2), it can really get busy on some
days. I think the key is accurate and quick position report, fly the
published pattern altitude (I saw someone flying 500AGL there, and cut
off everyone else), and alway be ready to yield to other traffic no
matter who has the right of way.

But so far even on the busiest day everything eventually work out in
2V2.

Old October 5th 05, 01:00 AM
Michael 182

"John Doe" wrote in message
Did you talk to him after he landed ?

No. For one thing, he was still flying when I left. Besides, even though if
I did talk to him I would be totally non-confrontational, my experience
(partially from reading this newsgroup), is that pilots tend to be somewhat
charged up in these situations. My tendency is to just take the approach
that I need to do a better job protecting myself in the air.

Michael

Old October 6th 05, 02:51 PM
Paul kgyy

Might the 500 AGL be someone doing a practice circle to land IFR
approach? Once you get to MDA, you're not supposed to go any higher.

Old October 7th 05, 07:55 PM
John Larson

One should always fly as though there are planes in the pattern who
either don't have an operating radio, or who chose not to use one.
All one can do is continue to look around, back and forth, up and
down, and try to look around the blind spots in the airplane being
flown.
Just remember that just because someone is not giving a gazillion
position reports doesn't mean they are not there.

Old October 8th 05, 03:02 PM
Clay

A big problem with a good many pilots is they fixate on the runway.
I have often seen this during flight training and flight reviews.
You never know when someone will sneak into the pattern.
Keep looking around.