dirty bird

Old November 5th 04, 07:48 PM
The Weiss Family

Default dirty bird

A question for those of you who tie down:

I flew just a couple days ago, then went out to the airport today. I was
APALLED at how dirty my plane got!
We had a little rain, and there's been frost in the morning, but I still
couldn't believe how dirty she was.

Does anyone have a good method for washing their plane out on the tarmac?
Is it even possible?
I was thinking of bringing gallon jugs of water out.

I'm interested to hear your solutions.

Thanks,

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III

Old November 5th 04, 09:10 PM
dave

Is there a washing station on your field? Ask the FBO. If it's like
ours, it's just a hose. Bring your own bucket, soap, etc. I know what
you mean about the dirt. It's amazing. I was using a kennon cover made
out of sunbrella. That thing really showed the dirt. I would still
recommend a quality cover. It really protects the plexiglass.

One other thing, clean your windows or at least your windshield after
every flight. Some recommend pledge. I use Meguires plexi cleaner
with a flannel cloth. Always move the cloth vertically up and down the
windshield. Never in circles. It just seems like those little bugs are
easier to clean after landing than a couple of days later.

Isn't great having your own plane? I've flown more in the past year
that I thought I would and I plan to fly more this year. I was planning
on going out today but 40MPH gust are beyond my comfort level.

Dave
68 7ECA

Old November 5th 04, 09:55 PM
The Weiss Family

[...]

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I'll check and see if there is a washing station.
I've been using Lemon Pledge on the windshield (but I've been going in
circles).
I'll be sure to go up and down from now on.

Owning IS great! I've been flying whenever I can.

Thanks again,

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III

Old November 5th 04, 10:19 PM
Elwood Dowd

For ramp washing---indeed all washing---I use a product called Wash &
Wax, available at every pilot shop I have been into. Uses no water, and
is probably chemically identical to Pledge. There is also a "heavy
duty" version that does a good job cleaning the belly when combined with
some elbow grease and human lubricant (beer---after flying, of course).

Beech Super III

Glad to see you decided on a Mouse! Hopefully it will keep a couple of
bucks in your wallet. If you haven't yet, come over to
http://www.beechaeroclub.org.

Old November 5th 04, 10:42 PM
The Weiss Family

"Elwood Dowd" wrote in message
For ramp washing---indeed all washing---I use a product called Wash & Wax,
available at every pilot shop I have been into. Uses no water, and is
probably chemically identical to Pledge. There is also a "heavy duty"
version that does a good job cleaning the belly when combined with some
elbow grease and human lubricant (beer---after flying, of course).

Beech Super III

Glad to see you decided on a Mouse! Hopefully it will keep a couple of
bucks in your wallet. If you haven't yet, come over to
http://www.beechaeroclub.org.

Hi Elwood,

Boy, I LOVE my Super III. What a great plane!
I don't have any Wash & Wax handy, but I do have Lemon Pledge.
Do you think it would be OK to use it to clean the plane?
I've heard it can cause build up.
The weather is getting pretty darn cold around here, so if I can avoid
water, that would be great.

I've been reading Musketeer Mail religiously, but haven't made it to BAC
yet.
Is there anything there that I won't get at Musketeer Mail?

Thanks,

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III

Old November 6th 04, 01:50 AM

On 5-Nov-2004, "The Weiss Family" wrote:

I flew just a couple days ago, then went out to the airport today. I was
APALLED at how dirty my plane got!

You don't say which airport you tie down at, but if it is one used
extensively by jets then much of the dirt may be soot from burned kerosene,
especially if your plane is downwind from the runway. With a light rain,
the sooty powder turns into a grime that usually coats in streaks -- really
ugly. Unfortunately, I can't offer much in the way of a solution to prevent
the mess.

If the air temp is above freezing, you can wash with water. Then, a trip
"around the patch" will effectively dry the plane to prevent standing water
from freezing at night.

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old November 6th 04, 03:26 AM
The Weiss Family

wrote in message

[...]

I tie down at Minden-Tahoe.
I called my mechanic to see if I could use his hose to wash the plane.
By the time I got there, he was almost done washing it (no, I'm not giving
you his number).
The county is re-paving a taxiway.
My mechanic said that on Wednesday it looked like they poured *dry* cement
that made a HUGE cloud that you couldn't even see through.
So, it wasn't just dust and dirt on my plane. In fact, about 20 planes had
the same problem.
I didn't think my plane could get that dirty in three days.
Now at least I know what happened, and I'm not parking over there until
they're done.

Adam

Old November 8th 04, 09:02 PM
Elwood Dowd

I don't have any Wash & Wax handy, but I do have Lemon Pledge.
Do you think it would be OK to use it to clean the plane?

I know several folks who have used Lemon Plege exclusively for years and
not had a problem. Maybe they put in some extra elbow grease. Wash &
Wax can be ordered if you can't find it locally, but I would bet one of
the pilot shops in that area carries it. Could also try auto speed shops.

I've been reading Musketeer Mail religiously, but haven't made it to

BAC
yet.
Is there anything there that I won't get at Musketeer Mail?

BAC has a full archive of all of MusketeerMail, as well as a TON of
other information, including all ADs, service bulletins, and the like.
The discussions tend to be more or less along the same lines as on the
yahoo-based list, but the answers are more technical and are always
archived afterward in such a way that they are easy to find. Plus, as a
type club they have some leverage in finding parts, getting insurance
discounts, and a number of other benefits.
Old November 9th 04, 02:35 PM
PaulH

I second the recommendation on the cover. I kept my Arrow at Chicago
Midway for a couple of years and used a full set of covers from
Kennon. The covers got filthy but I only had to wash the airplane a
couple of times a year.

To wash it, I asked the FBO where I bought my fuel (Million Air in
this case) if I could park in front of the hangar and use their hose.
They were totally cooperative.

At Gary Airport, where I now have it hangared, the FBO lets me put the
plane inside their hangar and use their brushes and cleaning solution.
Old November 9th 04, 05:14 PM
Ron Natalie

PaulH wrote:

At Gary Airport, where I now have it hangared, the FBO lets me put the
plane inside their hangar and use their brushes and cleaning solution.

My home field has was stations set up for the benefit of based aircraft
and transients. However, 9/11 shutdown the transient traffic.

Back when we were based at Dulles (and when the FBO was still locally owned
they let Margy wash the plane in the hangar). A few days later I went to
take it down to the instrument shop and I can't find the darn thing. Take
a peek in the hangar and sure enough it's sitting there proudly between
a G-III and a Hawker. The line guys decided it was so clean and shiny that
they'd keep it in until they needed the space for something else.

I Want My Own Bird Yeah_right Owning 72 October 18th 04 02:25 PM
Republican Party Dirty Tricks WalterM140 Military Aviation 12 June 12th 04 04:30 PM
"Dirty Tricks" and "Both Sides Do It" Leslie Swartz Military Aviation 19 March 29th 04 06:11 PM
Vic Tatelman's Pictures of "Dirty Dora", "Dirty Dora II" and the Surrender Mission Adam Lewis Military Aviation 0 February 3rd 04 03:39 PM
Bird control David Naugler Aviation Marketplace 7 September 22nd 03 03:40 PM