video - pilot runs out of fuel, pops parachute

Old January 31st 15, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default video - pilot runs out of fuel, pops parachute

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 08:34:49 +1300, george152 wrote:

Rolling a non aerobatic C150 is no biggie but it could point to the old
pilot and the bold pilot.

Decades ago, when I was training, my flight instructor attempted a loop in a
C-150; we fell out of the top, and dirt rained down on us. At the time, I
didn't know better.

And I never flew an aircraft with a 'glass' cockpit, saw some, made
enthusiastic noises and that was about it

It sure makes life a lot easier. It'll even fly the approach for you.
Technology marches on...

Old January 31st 15, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

If you're a programmer, you know that nearly 50% of the code in any
project is related to error handling routines.

Or more.

Most of my code is for myself. Programming is a tool for me to be
able to accomplish something else. So for the most part I dispense
with all the extra stuff because I know what to NOT do. Although I
still have to deal with input, because a lot of my programs are
reading someone elses database and crunching the data. There's
always errors in the input that I have to look out for.

Now, for the very few programs I've intended for public consumption,
80% of the code is for the user interface and error handling.
Perhaps more. Modern GUI's are very code intensive.

Brian
--
http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/index.php - Earth Sciences discussion
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old January 31st 15, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

It sure makes life a lot easier. It'll even fly the approach for you.
Technology marches on...

But NEVER become reliant on it. If you can't fly on steam, take
a refresher, or stay on the ground.

It's disturbing to think that airline pilots, the ones with
thousands of hours, suddenly forget the basics you learn in the
first week of training when something goes wrong.

Brian
Old January 31st 15, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george152

On 31/01/2015 12:17 p.m., Larry Dighera wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 08:34:49 +1300, george152 wrote:

Rolling a non aerobatic C150 is no biggie but it could point to the old
pilot and the bold pilot.

Decades ago, when I was training, my flight instructor attempted a loop in a
C-150; we fell out of the top, and dirt rained down on us. At the time, I
didn't know better.

There's a lot of people out here who don't know about that
Mine was a demonstrated stall with a pax and I didn't secure the covers
on the ashtrays

And I never flew an aircraft with a 'glass' cockpit, saw some, made
enthusiastic noises and that was about it

It sure makes life a lot easier. It'll even fly the approach for you.
Technology marches on...

I started when the airfield was non audio. The only Approach aid was the
light gun and the Controller in the tower

Old February 2nd 15, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bug Dout

Skywise writes:

it reminds
me to be very very thorough when I write my software.

Being thorough doesn't prevent errors in any activity...it might only
reduce the frequency of errors.
--
Wherever there is great property, there is great inequality, for one
very rich man; there must be at least five hundred poor.
Old February 2nd 15, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bug Dout

Skywise writes:

But NEVER become reliant on it. If you can't fly on steam, take
a refresher, or stay on the ground.

Oh bull****. If you can't fly entirely by the old radio range, take a
refresher. If you can't fly a taildragger, you're not a real pilot, and
other bull**** from ignorants.
--
"We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad
and east, west, south and north somewhat." --Defense Secretary Donald
interview, March 30, 2003
Old February 2nd 15, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Bug Dout wrote in
:

Skywise writes:

But NEVER become reliant on it. If you can't fly on steam, take
a refresher, or stay on the ground.

Oh bull****. If you can't fly entirely by the old radio range, take a
refresher. If you can't fly a taildragger, you're not a real pilot, and
other bull**** from ignorants.

WOOOOOOSH!!!!!

Brian
Old February 2nd 15, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Bug Dout wrote in
:

Skywise writes:

it reminds
me to be very very thorough when I write my software.

Being thorough doesn't prevent errors in any activity...it might only
reduce the frequency of errors.

True. Rarely is software perfect. But that's no excuse NOT to
make the effort.

I'm just a little astounded that the software engnineers at Garmin
did not have account for all data inputs going out of expected ranges,
in either direction. Yeah, how can a fuel tank ever be more full than
"Full", but obviously it happened, and the system failed due to the
lack of checking.

Failure to bounds check data input is why a lot of software breaks,
or allows hackers to run malicious code. Look up "buffer overflow".

I'll make it easy for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow

Brian