compass fluid

Old September 15th 03, 03:57 PM
D.A.L

Default compass fluid

My compass fluid level is low and needs refilling,is there a substitute
fluid I can use rather than buying an overhaul kit. I had heard that
using mineral spirits would suffice. Any suggestions?
Old September 15th 03, 04:30 PM
Bill Higdon

D.A.L wrote:
My compass fluid level is low and needs refilling,is there a substitute
fluid I can use rather than buying an overhaul kit. I had heard that
using mineral spirits would suffice. Any suggestions?

Aircraft Spruce, has jsut the fluid for sale, go to the online catalog,
then instruments, then compasses, then you'll see a listing of repair
kits,it's under that heading.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catmain.php
Bill Higdon

Old September 16th 03, 04:14 AM
Scott Correa

"Bill Higdon" wrote in message
D.A.L wrote:
My compass fluid level is low and needs refilling,is there a substitute
fluid I can use rather than buying an overhaul kit. I had heard that
using mineral spirits would suffice. Any suggestions?

Aircraft Spruce, has jsut the fluid for sale, go to the online catalog,
then instruments, then compasses, then you'll see a listing of repair
kits,it's under that heading.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catmain.php
Bill Higdon

I wouldn't recommend anything except compass fluid. It probably makes no
difference
day vfr, but compass markings use luminous paint for nighttime visability
and solvents
are hard on them. Also, one needs to ask the question, where did the fluid
go???
Compasses are sealed devices. Loss of fluid means loss of gasketing
integrity. Filling
the compass treats the symptom, not the cause of the fluid loss. Do it
correctly and
get the O-haul kit for the compass and service it the right way.

Scott Correa

Old September 20th 03, 03:06 PM
Larry Goddard

Use mineral spirits that has been de-aerated... I pour the mineral spirits
into a wine bottle and use one of those "suckers" to remove the air from an
opened bottle of wine. After a day or so, the "air" will be pretty well
extracted. Fill the compass appropriately. One trick to filling is to
submerge the compass into a cup filled with the liquid and tilt it around
so that all the trapped air pockets inside the compass can fill.

Larry Goddard
"01" USA

"D.A.L" wrote:

My compass fluid level is low and needs refilling,is there a substitute
fluid I can use rather than buying an overhaul kit. I had heard that
using mineral spirits would suffice. Any suggestions?

Vertical Card Compass Mystery Rosspilot Owning 3 November 3rd 04 07:01 PM
help - whiskey compass has gone wild Jim Owning 5 July 12th 04 03:33 AM
Do you use your magnetic compass? Roger Long Piloting 42 May 25th 04 12:08 PM
Strange compass behavior me Owning 10 February 14th 04 05:24 AM
Compass turning error Marty Ross Piloting 3 August 21st 03 02:53 PM