Soaring sites in Palm Springs area

Old March 5th 04, 07:54 AM
Dave Kuchenbecker

Default Soaring sites in Palm Springs area

I am planning a trip to Palm Springs to get some sun. I would like to
do some flying while there. Any thoughts on commercial ops in the
area where I could rent a single place.
Thanks

Dave
Old March 5th 04, 05:55 PM
Quietpilot

Sky Sailing at Warner Springs.. You can go the "back way" out of Palm Springs
to get there.

Old March 8th 04, 04:58 PM
JohnD

Be careful of advice from this source. The last two times I flew at 29
Palms (stumps) we had to bring our own tow plane, the local club had
only a winch. There is no FBO. I have heard they may have a tug on
occasion. Maybe that has changed. The desert is absolutely beautiful
to fly over, if you don't believe it has to be green to be beautiful!

Hemet. I would call and talk to Betty about rentals. I think the
'pickins' are pretty slim. They are open Tues. - Sun. inclusive. But
sometimes they don't have a tow as their fleet is over near Palm
Springs for rides.

A source of a quality rental not too far away would be Warner Springs.
Don't take the freeway, go by way of Anza. A very nice drive on two
lane highway. But also call ahead. They are really picky about who
they will allow to fly their ships.

A little further would be to go up on the high desert north of Los
Angeles. Crystal (Great Western Soaring @ Llano, Ca. and Caracole @
Calif. City.

The info on the SSA website is out of date in many situations. Calling
ahead is imperative.

(Liam Finley) wrote in message . com...
(Dave Kuchenbecker) wrote in message . com...
I am planning a trip to Palm Springs to get some sun. I would like to
do some flying while there. Any thoughts on commercial ops in the
area where I could rent a single place.
Thanks

Dave

Hemet or 29 Palms.

Hemet definitely has rentals, I don't know about 29 Palms.

Soaring conditions at Hemet are usually not great, but you might get lucky.