Pinging Tommy Cooper

Old September 30th 03, 08:28 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Default Pinging Tommy Cooper

Hey Tom,

Remember N6183J, that Cherokee we took up to Cherry Ridge, PA? Alas, she is
no more. Just a fuselage sitting in the shop with the firewall forward torn
away, the right wing carry through destroyed, and a lot of damage to the
underside where the engine ended up. It's being stripped for parts. Seems
a student flying solo tried to land alongside a helicoper on the same runway
instead of going around, and got lawn darted into the ground by the rotor
wash. The pilot was very, very lucky and walked away. Really bad decision.
It hasn't made the NTSB reports yet, so I don't know all the details, but I
saw the plane today and was very sad to see an old friend beat up like that.
I counted up over 39 hours in her in my logbook.

Raise a glass to absent friends.

Bob