congrats to GB

Old September 2nd 03, 08:02 PM
BMacLean

Default congrats to GB

Beyond impressive.

Barb 18

"John Shelton" wrote in message
ink.net...
Jim Norris, aka GB, won the 15M championships at Region 12 with a 5 for 5
showing against a pretty impressive field of competitors. That's 5000 of
5000 possible points.

Unconscious.

Jim says that the Ventus thinks its former owner, Roy Cundiff, was flying
it.

Old September 2nd 03, 11:06 PM
JJ Sinclair

And where did John Shelton end up? Nothing on SSA page as yet. Any words of
wisdom on the ASW-20 driver with a bent bird?
JJ Sinclair
Old September 3rd 03, 12:02 AM
John Shelton

Flew 2 of the 5 days. Not very inspired. I think I had less than 40 hours
this year due to work and helicopter crashes. Just went to get the shirt,
see friends and support Cindy a little.

There's always next year....

Old September 3rd 03, 12:06 AM
John Shelton

And as far as the busted bird, if I had anything to say, I would have said
it when I went to get him. I think I said that I was sorry to see his ship
busted but I was glad to see him safe.

Oh yeah. I told him that I could sure use a pizza. : )

Old September 3rd 03, 06:36 AM
Mark Navarre

Any words of
wisdom on the ASW-20 driver with a bent bird?
JJ Sinclair

That would be me. Words of wisdom: yes, I should have followed my own, given
during that very morning's safety meeting. That chain of events that is so
obvious in hindsight, that chain which leads to an accident, that chain which
is easily broken in the beginning if only those whispering voices of warning
are heeded early.
The field at the SE corner of the intersection of Hwy 395 and Kennedy Meadows
Rd. (about 20 miles N of Inyokern) has a landable zone, but I missed it's
centerline by about 3 feet laterally and ground looped after clipping a
creosote bush with the right wingtip. Would have been better to have landed at
Cinder Cone dry lake (10 mi N) which I left in an effort to escape from
overcast to sunlight and a possible save of the flight. Only emotional damage
to me, another lesson learned, and the glider is easily repaired. Could have
been worse....
-
Mark Navarre
ASW-20 OD
California, USA
-
Old September 3rd 03, 03:00 PM
JJ Sinclair

Thanks for the report, Mark. I've been there & done that. Most of us can
benefit from the mistakes of others and I think it is good to discuss our
accidents in a forum like RAS. I have learned over the years that old JJ has
only two racing modes, conservative and stupid. The only way I can survive is
to keep reminding myself to stay conervative and cautous.
A Black Ace,
JJ Sinclair

Old September 4th 03, 07:10 AM
Al

to save us Googling....

Tell us some stories about becoming a black ace JJ

Al

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
Al wrote..
How many planes have you killed now JJ?

Just the basic 5 to qualify for the Black Ace title. I'm retired now and

not
looking for any more victories. In my defence, I was the GIB (guy in back)

when
the RF-4C was demolished and I was in the right seat (WSO) on the day the
F-111F didn't return home. However, there was only one seat in the DG-300

that
was dinged in a circular weat field, and only one seat in the ASW-20 that

was
dinged trying to land on a dirt road in the desert and only one seat in

the
Nimbus 3 that was dinged in a harvested corn field 1 mile short of Uvalde,

Tx.
JJ Sinclair

Old September 4th 03, 09:45 AM
JJ Sinclair

Al wrote
Tell us some stories about becoming a black ace JJ

Most is old stuff, Peter Kelly has a bunch of my ramblings at
http://www.soaringnet.com/~pk/index.html
JJ Sinclair
Old September 4th 03, 04:18 PM
aeroweld

John Shelton wrote:

Did you hear the one about Jim Norris getting 5000 points?

In the pantheon of Pez comic strip characters, it sounds like a gooney
bird is about to replace the flying squirrel.

P7 unit