Primary Glider Drawings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 4th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Primary Glider Drawings

To All:

As promised, I've began posting drawings of primary glider(s). You
will find them in PRIMARY_GLIDERS Group, in the FILES archive, in the
Folder 'The Northrup Primary Glider.' So far I've only posted a few.
The others will be posted as time -- and my medical condition --
permits.

The drawings are in DeltaCAD's native format; the file suffix is .dc.
DeltaCAD will give you a free but time-crippled copy of their
software. It is about 6megabytes and will run on any WINDOWS system
from 95 on up. Most of the drawings are of fittings. The main
advantage in using a CAD format is that the drawings may be printed
full-scale, allowing them to be used as patterns.

I believe I have drawings for five different primaries but so far I've
only found the Northrup and the SG-38. These use a wooden fuselage.
Other primaries use welded steel tubing.

'Northrup' is a seed company. A member of the Northrup family
imported a primary glider after seeing them being flown in Europe
(circa 1929) and 'Northrup' became synonymous with 'primary glider.'
The drawings depict one of the earliest configurations of the primary
glider, in which the wings are wire-braced. Later versions have a
strut-braced wing.

NORTHROP refers to John Northrop, the American engineer best known for
his flying wings.

-R.S.Hoover