A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

Old October 23rd 18, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

My shoulders ache just reading this.
Old October 23rd 18, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 5:43:08 AM UTC-7, POPS wrote:
'Richard Pfiffner[_2_ Wrote:
;976901']Pictures and process for refinishing a ventus b fuselage. Work
in progress pictures and process as work is completed.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Yo, that's a great pic log. I know you said you'd never do it, but when
your all finished you could roll your old trusty-rusty all-terrain tow
vehicle in there, hook it onto that lazy-susan contraption and put the
spit shine to that sucker!
Just think how Gooood yud look coming and going!
Just think about it...

--
POPS

Previa has a new paint job already. 441,236 miles replaced the right door handle, never changed transmission fluid. changed spark plugs and engine oil.

On to 500K
Old October 23rd 18, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

I've always wondered if someone who wanted to create make a business refinishing gliders , here in the USA, make a go of it. It seems to me its a lot of semi skilled monotonous labor.
I've employed many Mexicans that are Really good with there hands and produce high quality work. And they want to work , show up everyday rain or snow or shine. These guys work for 15-17/hr here in Telluride.
I've told Craggy I can send him some help when he gets tired but so far he seems to keep moving forward on his own!
Old October 23rd 18, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

Ask that Kingair 350 owner how he liked having the rivet heads sanded off by semiskilled laborerers a few years ago. The airplane was totaled!
Old October 23rd 18, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Well, most people, especially new at the job, need to be supervised, Thats why there are supervisors and managers.

Old October 23rd 18, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Seaborn (A8)
external usenet poster

Nick, the refinish question is a large problem for an aging fleet of gliders with gelcoat. That club GROB which is worth about $30,000 but needs refinishing will cost around $20,000 to refinish commercially if the club cannot do it using members sweat equity. Same with other aging gliders with gelcoat. There has to be a better way in which a single company with the right tools (think standing robot) could specialize in this type of refinish at a lower cost structure. Hats off to Richard for documenting his refinish project. There used to be a company in Eastern Europe that did refinish and refurbishment of older gliders. Anyone know if they are still in business?
Old October 23rd 18, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 2:56:36 PM UTC-4, John Seaborn (A8) wrote:
Nick, the refinish question is a large problem for an aging fleet of gliders with gelcoat. That club GROB which is worth about $30,000 but needs refinishing will cost around $20,000 to refinish commercially if the club cannot do it using members sweat equity. Same with other aging gliders with gelcoat. There has to be a better way in which a single company with the right tools (think standing robot) could specialize in this type of refinish at a lower cost structure. Hats off to Richard for documenting his refinish project. There used to be a company in Eastern Europe that did refinish and refurbishment of older gliders. Anyone know if they are still in business?

http://refinish.pl/en
Old October 23rd 18, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 11:49:08 AM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
I've always wondered if someone who wanted to create make a business refinishing gliders , here in the USA, make a go of it. It seems to me its a lot of semi skilled monotonous labor.
I've employed many Mexicans that are Really good with there hands and produce high quality work. And they want to work , show up everyday rain or snow or shine. These guys work for 15-17/hr here in Telluride.
I've told Craggy I can send him some help when he gets tired but so far he seems to keep moving forward on his own!

Hey Nick,

It's an excellent question - some of us who have done more than 1 refinish have had a lot of time to ponder this question in the middle of every 4 hour sanding session :-)

Quick back of the envelope would be something like this:

- Routine full refinish of a standard class glider for a shop with the right tools, process and skills is around 450 hours (just as a baseline - YMMV)
- Rough SWAG suggests 25% skilled 75% un/semi-skilled
- Figure you want to charge the skilled labor at $60/hr and the un/semi-skilled at $25/hr (note - assume the owner/operator is the skilled guy/gal and that there is some margin on the un-skilled rate that goes to him/her as well)
- At those ratios and rates the labor for a refinish would be about:
* $6750 for the high-skilled
* $8500 for the un/semi-skilled
* Total labor around $15K +/-
- Add in another $5000 for materials and consumables, shop charges, other fixed costs
- You're at a $20K refinish +/- a few percent.
- You can argue around the margins a bit (say bill the unskilled out at $18/hr), but it's not going to end up with a $10K number.

Kind of explains why the only people refinishing 1st and 2nd generation glass are either DIY owners or clubs.

P3
Old October 23rd 18, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Anyone know if they are still in business?

http://refinish.pl/en

https://www.aerospool.sk/index.php/e...f-gliders.html

Old October 24th 18, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

P3
Thank you for the cost breakout. That 450 hour hurtle is a high one. I didn't realize it was so high, I would have guessed half that to 2/3rds of that 450 number.
AS
I contacted both company's on your posting requested a quote for shipping from the East Coast USA and a complete exterior refinish on my LS3a.
I'll report back on what I find out at today's rates.
Luckily my 1980 LS3a is still in good shape gelcoat wise, I keep it waxed and hope for the best.