RST Audio Panel Kit Assembly

Old March 27th 04, 01:54 PM
Tim Witt

Default RST Audio Panel Kit Assembly

I am not a shill for Jim Weir but am interested in his audio panel
kit. How difficult are they to put together? I'm not an EE but I do
enjoy tinkering with cars and planes. I just bought a second Nav/Com
and thought an audio panel acquisition should be in order next
(airplane currently has separate switches for radios and a portable
intercom). It would be nice to clean up all the wires hanging around
from the portable intercom and headsets, too. I'll leave the
installation up to the pros but I'd like to save some money and the
kit route for the audio panel looks like a possibility. Jim's
comments are welcome but I'd like some input from someone who has put
together a kit and doesn't solder for a living. Thanks in advance.
Tim Witt/C-150M
Old March 27th 04, 05:01 PM
Jim Weir

I will stay completely out of it. Anybody is welcome to post positive as well
as negative comments and I will just let those comments stand on their own
merits.

Jim

(Tim Witt)

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old March 27th 04, 05:40 PM
jsmith

I cannot speak for his audio panel kit, however, 20-some years ago I
built one of his intercoms.
If the audio panel construction manual is anything like the intercom
construction manual, follow the directions as printed and it will work.

Old March 27th 04, 09:10 PM
Bill J

I built the audio panel kit and it worked great for many years in my
Cherokee 140. I am a ham and had lots of kit experience, but think
anyone who can solder (wires, not pipes) would have no problem. It works
as good as a King KMA24, with switches instead of push buttons.

Old March 27th 04, 10:19 PM
Jay Masino

I bought and assembled one, years ago. It was pretty easy to assemble,
and the instructions were pretty clear. Unfortunately, I am an EE, but I
don't solder for a living. As I neared completion, I decided I didn't
feel like re-wiring my planel, so I ended up selling it to someone on the
net.

--- Jay

--

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old March 28th 04, 03:46 AM
Greg Burkhart

I have considered getting the RST audio panel kit but, with my current
setup, I don't "need" it. I only have the MicroAir com that has a built-in
intercom feature and that's the only radio in my Ercoupe. If I ever add
another radio then I'll probably get the RST kit.

om...

Old March 29th 04, 03:06 AM
N7155A

I bought one (a 522 I think) already assembled off ebay and installed
it in a 172, under a 337 by my AI - as part of a radio upgrade.

It performs fine, especially considering I didn't pay much for it.
RST's newer audio panels have more features such as Volume and squelch
knobs. It has worked fine for me.

All if RST's audio panels use the same connectors and pinouts, So I
should be able to upgrade without any rewiring.

I later assemble a marker beacon, and it works fine also.

Mitch