Improve performance of Continental O-300-D??

Old April 14th 05, 02:32 AM

Default Improve performance of Continental O-300-D??

Hi folks - I just purchased a 1964 172e with a newly overhauled
Continental O-300-D engine and was hoping to get some suggestions for
improving performance on it. Is this feasible with this engine? I knew
buying it that climb performance was quite a bit different than the
150HP Lycoming, but I wonder if there are modifications/enhancements
that people have tried that would provide any worthwhile gains in HP
(like maybe change exhaust perhaps)?

Any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!!

Old April 14th 05, 03:05 PM

tony roberts wrote:
: None that I'm aware of.
: I repitched my prop to climb for better high density altitude
: performance. But to increase HP? Let me know if you find anything - I
: haven't.

: Tony

Are there any high-compression STC's available? I haven't looked, but they're
by default 7.0:1 compression (great for autogas!). IIRC, the exhaust ports on the
O-[23]00's were poorly baffled so high-compression makes them run enough hotter to
have valve problems.

I think the Powerflow exhaust folks have an STC for the 172 as well as the
PA-28. I don't know if it's applicable to other than the O-320 Lycoming, though.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old April 15th 05, 01:15 AM

Thx for all the comments. I hadn't considered a pitch change to the
prop. I'll have to look into it. I don't notice any cruise difference
between the plane and my old 150HP trainer. In fact, I believe I have a
few knots improvement. But the climb is very noticable.