Your fancy schmancy dream machine

Old August 6th 03, 08:42 AM
Corrie

Lawn flamingoes or gnomes?
Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

I want a plywood yardbutt, but She Who Must Be Obeyed nixes it every
time I suggest it.
Old August 6th 03, 08:47 AM
Corrie

With the 4-Runner I can slip a K1-A5 300 HP Lycombing right in back
with room to spare. (I have a plastic liner for the back)

Hey - you can drop that baby by ANYTIME.

What you need in place of the truck is one of those huge SUVs in the
"Snickers" candy bar add. :-)) Then you can tell her the whole
family, the neighbors, and the local soccer team can ride in it...all
at the same time. I mean, if you got 4 kids then they are going to
have to show up at some kind of sports event all at the same time, on
opposite sides of town. Better get a spare SUV and Pickup.

Not that I particularly want an SUV, mind you, but I might have do it.
Haven't seen the Snickers ad, but there's another one that looks
interesting. A Chevy somethingerother, IIRC. Something about seating
seven and having room for gear - and they call it midsize! Sheesh.
Old August 6th 03, 11:53 AM
Badwater Bill

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 18:25:51 GMT, Ernest Christley
wrote:

Rich S. wrote:
"Brock" wrote in message
om...

Your absolutely right on, Brock! I can't believe that all those assholes
that tried to design and build airplanes since the discovery of fire tried
and failed. They were absolutely so stupid!!!!

No, they weren't stupid. They just didn't have the advantage of a
library full of books, a dozen computer simulation programs, college
courses, NACA studies printed online.

Well put.

Some of you snot nosed ****ers are so full of yourselves. Anyone with
above average intelligence can design a build a plane with the right
attitude. Unfortunately, that attitude does not include, "Heh, Bubba.
Watch this!!", but there's no reason to believe that someone can't do it
just because you can't.

Some of these ****ers are not only so full of themselves, they don't
know **** to boot. Most haven't even soloed by the way they write.
They are the Kitplanes subscribers of the world who have 3 hours in
their logbook mostly. Then they get in here and try to talk the talk
and walk the walk. It's hillarious at times.

Or you have the old ****ers who think they know it all and who've been
flying for40 years but been screwing it up for that 40 years...doing
the same **** wrong over and over, yet, somehow surviving.

RAH, collectively has a mean aviation IQ of about 50. Expect that and
you might get some entertainment out of the place.

Badwater Bill
Old August 6th 03, 11:58 AM
Badwater Bill

Because it's dangerous? Isn't that the point of experimenting, BEFORE
you fly it? Even then, isn't it better than sitting in your own
excrement until the nurse comes while you wait to die at the end of a
boring life. (Yes, it is a horribly mangled attempt to paraphrase a very
good sentiment.)

I liked it. You have the right perspective. My motto from Heinlin is
to Take Big Bites of Life, Moderation is for Monks.

And as a final statement, try a thought experiment. Assume all the
dreamers dissappear. Given that people who participate here represent
an extreme wealth of knowledge, what will happen to that knowledge?
Will Jim Weir just randomly drop pearls of wisdom (I know he does in
Kitplanes, but I mean here for free)? Will Veedubber just mindlessly
throw out information on why you can't get 2,000hp out of 50cu. in.?
What will be the sounding board?

Good points...all.

I say let the dreamers share what they're thinking. And let the rest of
us try to keep up.

You see, your in the wrong place for this, for the most part. Be
careful. I've seen a lot of information passed on here over the years
that's actually directed people to do dangerous things, especially
some of the maintenance comments.

BWB

Old August 6th 03, 12:50 PM
Richard Lamb

Brock wrote:

It still seems people are a wee bit mystic and dreamy about airplane
design, construction and flight.

Brock

yeah...

http://home.flash.net/~lamb01/dreams.htm
Old August 6th 03, 06:38 PM
O-ring Seals

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:25:42 -0500, Barnyard BOb --
wrote:

P.S.
Did you fly that gorgeous C-310 to OSH this year?

Barnyard BOb - 50 years of flight

No Bob, but I did go to Arlington. The old bird won a Champion award
in the contemporary category there for the second year in a row.

Old August 7th 03, 05:06 AM
Capt. Doug

pac plyer wrote in message Now that I
think about it, the go fast arg makes sense, cuz the first 2 degree
position is almost all lift, no drag. (BTW My email is current inop)

The 727 wing is still the most awesome wing Boeing designed. It will do
decent short-field work (at reasonable weights) and still cruise M.88 (Mmo
is .90). Then computers replaced slide-rules.

Dragging the flaps wasn't done for speed. It was done for altitude. There is
a current STC that resets the LED and flap settings for optimizing cruise at
M.77 instead of M.84. The LEDs droop slightly, the flaps hang down 2
degrees, and winglets are installed. That allows the 727 to climb from FL290
to FL330 while weighing 8000# more.

D.

Old August 7th 03, 02:01 PM
OldCop

Thanks Pac, I almost choose that direction. I used to go along on some
frieght trips years ago, hauling kidneys for transplants and checks to ATL
in a 310. I was along for the ride and experience. The guy I used to be
facinated with flew either a Beech 18 or Loadstar into SDF with his black
lab as his copilot. I think he had pt6's on it if my memory serves me
correct. I thought that was kind of cool. Oh well, my life has turned out
pretty well sticking with the cop shop but I am really tired of it after 29
years.
My son just graduated from Purdue and is instructing at JVY so I might get
off my rusty dusty and do it yet, become a freight dog. I enjoy your post,
keep your sense of humor,

Dirtyside Down

OldCop
"pac plyer" wrote in message
om...
"OldCop" wrote

Woof, Woof, was all the olddog could mutter. It seems he was comfortable

on
the the porch even if the letters on the mat were well worn. But, he

felt
safe there watching as all the big dogs growled and snapped at each

other in
playful glee on the busy street.

He knew his place,

Woof, Woof

OldCop

Pac sez:

Major, you would have made a great cargo dog. :-) Good luck on you

project.

pacplyer

Old August 8th 03, 11:14 PM
Brock

Again, it is very easy to copy the work others have done. The early
pioneers should get the credit for airplane design, they did the work.
I'm not the one dreaming.

Whether airplane construction and maintenence are learned with a
"proven" design or a "one off" design is irrelevant, both plane should
be constructed and maintained properly, if only to make cause of death
easier to determine.

I would set the power limit for a UL seaplane at 20 HP, anything less
and the wing need to be unreasonable large. 30HP is more reasonable
and 60-100HP is needed for a plane with good cruise speed.

Brock