ILS Rwy 20 at Marion, ILL

Old February 21st 05, 05:23 PM
Robert Scott

Default ILS Rwy 20 at Marion, ILL

In the latest Jepp update for Marion, ILL, the procedure has changed
to what looks for all the world like a LOC approach. The minimums for
the ILS have been replaced by ‘NA’, and the DA has been replaced by an
MDA. Yet the title of the approach is still ILS Rwy 20. Why didn’t
they change the name of the procedure to LOC Rwy 20?
-Robert Scott
Ypsilanti, Michigan
(Reply through this forum, not by direct e-mail to me, as automatic reply address is fake.)
Old February 21st 05, 05:45 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Robert Scott" wrote in message

In the latest Jepp update for Marion, ILL, the procedure has changed
to what looks for all the world like a LOC approach. The minimums for
the ILS have been replaced by 'NA', and the DA has been replaced by an
MDA. Yet the title of the approach is still ILS Rwy 20. Why didn't
they change the name of the procedure to LOC Rwy 20?

The NACO charts still show S-ILS minima, a current NOTAM indicates S-ILS
MINIMUMS NA. Looks like Jeppesen incorporated the NOTAM into their new
plate. That seems reasonable, but they don't have the authority to rename
approaches. My guess is the GS is out of service temporarily. When it's
returned to service the NOTAM will be dropped and Jeppesen will issue a
plate with ILS minima.

Old February 21st 05, 09:46 PM

Robert Scott wrote:
In the latest Jepp update for Marion, ILL, the procedure has changed
to what looks for all the world like a LOC approach. The minimums for
the ILS have been replaced by ‘NA’, and the DA has been replaced by an
MDA. Yet the title of the approach is still ILS Rwy 20. Why didn’t
they change the name of the procedure to LOC Rwy 20?
-Robert Scott
Ypsilanti, Michigan
(Reply through this forum, not by direct e-mail to me, as automatic reply address is fake.)

When all else fails, check the NOTAMS:

FDC 5/1241 - FI/T WILLIAMSON COUNTY REGIONAL, MARION, IL. ILS RWY 20,
AMDT 11A... S-ILS MINIMUMS NA. DISTANCE FAF TO MAP 4.57 NM. DELETE ALL
REFERENCE TO MM. WIE UNTIL UFN

Old February 21st 05, 10:33 PM
Bob Gardner

If your "why" refers to the OPs "why" (why didn't they change the title?),
the answer has already been posted...Cap'n Jepp can't change procedure
titles on his own. I very much doubt that NACO can, without a lot of paper
shuffling. They are just chart printers, not procedures developers.

Bob Gardner

"Stan Gosnell" wrote in message
wrote in
nk.net:

When all else fails, check the NOTAMS:

FDC 5/1241 - FI/T WILLIAMSON COUNTY REGIONAL, MARION, IL. ILS RWY 20,
AMDT 11A... S-ILS MINIMUMS NA. DISTANCE FAF TO MAP 4.57 NM. DELETE ALL
REFERENCE TO MM. WIE UNTIL UFN

But that doesn't answer the OP's question - why?

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin

Old February 22nd 05, 03:42 AM
J Haggerty

Since the LOC MAP is now closer to the FAF (4.57 NM vs 4.90 NM), my
guess is that they extended the runway at the approach end, since the
LOC MAP would be at the runway threshold. This would put the runway
point of intercept for the glideslope (RPI) too far from the new
threshold for an ILS, and the ILS TCH would now be too high for an ILS
without a waiver.
The LOC could continue with a different FAF to MAP distance, but not the
ILS.
As far as the name, it's still an ILS procedure, except that the
glideslope is currently NA. To change the name would require NFPO to
create an amendment and have that published in the National Flight Data
Digest. They are probably creating an amendment, but rather than change
the name, they would be amending the ILS data to have it published with
a new FAF, glideslope intercept point, and TCH to match wherever they
would be installing the new glideslope (assuming the runway was lengthened).

JPH

Stan Gosnell wrote:
wrote in
nk.net:

Old February 22nd 05, 03:15 PM
gregscheetah

I recently had a similiar experience at Ponca City where the FSS said
the ILS was operational during the pre-flight briefing. Center cleared
me for the ILS-17 approach. I queried about the lack of GS information,
they said all was well as far as they knew. About 3 miles past the
OM,Center asked me if I wanted to switch to the LOC approach. I
didn't, so Missed approach, no GS, minimum conditions, slight icing
conditions.
Anyway, after landing and reviewing what I had done wrong, I found that
the FSS will not read you all the notams unless you specifically ask.
DUATS will not provide all the notams.

During the review of the flight, I read the notam that was similar to
the one below, I read all the FAA abbreviations list, and I can not
find what, exactly, "S-ILS" means. Just like the notam below, I don't
see where the ILS is OTS? What does "S-ILS" mean?

Greg

Old February 22nd 05, 03:54 PM
Roy Smith

gregscheetah wrote:
I recently had a similiar experience at Ponca City where the FSS said
the ILS was operational during the pre-flight briefing.

Did the briefer specifically say that the ILS was operational, or did
he just fail to mention the GS OTS notam?

Anyway, after landing and reviewing what I had done wrong, I found that
the FSS will not read you all the notams unless you specifically ask.
DUATS will not provide all the notams.

What a F***ed up system. They tells you about unlit cell-phone towers
300 feet AGL 4 miles from the airport, but leave out important stuff
like the GS being OTS. Some of this may have made sense in the days
of teletypes, but it's assinine today. Mapquest gives me more
complete information about my drive to the airport than DUATS gives me
about my flight.

During the review of the flight, I read the notam that was similar to
the one below, I read all the FAA abbreviations list, and I can not
find what, exactly, "S-ILS" means. Just like the notam below, I don't
see where the ILS is OTS? What does "S-ILS" mean?

FDC 5/1241 - FI/T WILLIAMSON COUNTY REGIONAL, MARION, IL. ILS RWY 20,
AMDT 11A... S-ILS MINIMUMS NA. DISTANCE FAF TO MAP 4.57 NM. DELETE
ALL REFERENCE TO MM. WIE UNTIL UFN

The S means "straight-in" (as opposed to circling). I'm looking at
the NOS chart (http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0501/05215I20.PDF). It's got
three lines of minimums: S-ILS 20, S-LOC 20, and CIRCLING.

Tearing apart the notam piece by piece, it says:

FDC 5/1241

This is Flight Data Center notam number 5/1241. I think that's just
the 1241st notam issued in 2005.

- FI/T WILLIAMSON COUNTY REGIONAL, MARION, IL. ILS RWY 20,

What approach this applies to; i.e. the approach titled "ILS RWY 20"
at Williamson County Regional airport in Marion IL.

AMDT 11A...

The version of the approach it applies to. If your plate doesn't say
AMDT 11A on it, you're applying the changes to an out-of-date plate.

S-ILS MINIMUMS NA.

The minimums shown in the line titled "S-ILS" in the minimums section
of the plate is not authorized (i.e. may not be used).

DISTANCE FAF TO MAP 4.57 NM.

The distance shown on the profile view from the FAF (JONNY) to the MAP
should be changed from 4.9 NM to 4.57 (bottom-right of the plate).
They leave it to you to work out new timings. At 90 kts, it's a
change from 3:16 to 3:03. There's no information as to *WHY* they
moved the MAP, but if you're still using the old timing, you're going
to drive 15 seconds past the MAP before starting your missed.

DELETE ALL REFERENCE TO MM.

There is no more middle marker. They're de-commissioning MM's left
and right these days, so this should be no surprise. It's also of no
operational consequence that I can think of.

WIE UNTIL UFN

These changes are "WIth Effect Until Further Notice.". That's
probably the reason Jepp decided to issue a new chart. My guess is
that the S-ILS minimums will come back some day, perhaps after some
transmitter or antenna is repaired, and/or some flight testing can be
done. But there's no date scheduled.

Old February 22nd 05, 04:10 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"gregscheetah" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

"S-ILS" means "Straight-in ILS", you'll find it on page A1 of the NACO
charts.

The controller is going to clear you for an ILS whether or not the GS is
working. If the GS is out of service he's supposed to say so when the
approach clearance is issued; "Cleared I-L-S Runway one seven approach,
glideslope unusable." Naturally, he'd have to know that it was out of
service. He should have been aware of the NOTAM.

You say the FSS said the ILS was operational during the pre-flight briefing.
I would take that statement to mean fully operational, including the
glideslope. Navaids are assumed to be operational unless there's a NOTAM
saying they aren't. FSS isn't in a position to definitely say that it is
operational unless they've checked NOTAMs.