Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!

Old July 8th 06, 09:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Emily" wrote)
Larry Dighera wrote:
[Paraphrasing] ...blah, blah, blah.

I think I like you.

If Larry writes back:

"Right. The truly superior don't need to act superior; their superiority
is tacitly apparent. It is those who feel inferior who need to constantly
assert their pseudo superiority."

You know, I resisted the urge to respond with, "Stick around a while.
There's still time to change your mind."

But it looks like I didn't, anyway! g
--
Jim in NC

Old July 8th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Matt,

The reality is that criminals will always have guns. Making it an even
fight is the only way to maintain any semblance of freedom.

And your view is supported by what numbers? To me, it sounds like utter
BS. Very old testament, though.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 8th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Matt,

Why do you think so many European pilots come to the US
for flight training?

That number has declined a lot since the US started to move on freedom
after 9/11.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 8th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Wolfgang,

you can't even trust that the
tower person will.

Yes, but it is mandatory for the tower people to be able to speak
English in Germany.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 8th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Larry,

Are you referring to the fact that French pilots tend to announce
position reports at uncontrolled fields in their native tongue?

That's done in every country I know of, including the US. I was
referring to the fact that even controllers often speak only very
marginal English, and that Air France pilots will talk in French even
at CDG.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 8th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Well, what is "flight critical"? The laws of physics don't change.
Pattern entries are different (at least in Canada), is this flight critical?

Differences (for example) in runway markings and cloud clearances from
country to country are not critical to the successful conclusion of the
flight.

Differences in airspace restrictions and fee structures *are* critical
to my not being arrested, or worse. They are therefore flight
critical, and I want to know what they are at this stage.

Well, we differ here. I would say differences in runway markings are
not critical so long as they are pretty much self evident. They would
be critical if they are different enough to cause confusion (marking a
runway as a taxiway, for example). To this end, a clearance to a runway
here allows one to taxi across all =other= runways. In other places
this is not the case. That is critical (though granted, it's not a
"runway marking" difference)

Differences in cloud clearances are critical IMHO inasmuch as not
knowing them you could easily be flying VFR in (their) IMC, and become a
hazard to other aircraft who are expecting separation and not getting it.

Differences in fee structures are not "critical to the successful
conclusion to the flight", nor will they likely get you arrested.
You'll discover these differences via your MasterCard.

They may be critical to your repeating the experience though.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 8th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 02:53:41 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote in ::

Yep, that's what happens in the liberal nanny-state. Nothing is
anyone's fault and we must all be taken care of by the government.

First, I wouldn't characterize Bush as a liberal.

Second, the notion of 'taking care of the unwashed masses' has its
origins in organized religion, hence my earlier statement concerning
the undue political influence of the religious-right in US policy
decisions. One can easily see evidence of the magnitude of the power
religion asserts over its adherents in Islamic suicide bombers who
willingly give their lives for their irrational beliefs.

Because of (what I believe is a genetically based personality
attribute or instinct,) religiosity, that shamans are able to exploit
in controlling the opinions and beliefs of their flocks of followers,
the religious-right are able to muster and deliver cadres of voters
who vote the slate. Because religion is well organized, the magnitude
of its results are significantly more influential among politicos than
those unorganized voters who think for themselves and vote
accordingly. The church is able to deliver votes, and actively
exploits that power politically (when it's not sexually molesting the
children of its faithful).

The church has historically always sought to assert control over its
followers by telling them what to believe, whether its rational or
not. Religion's commendable role in civilizing the masses is
overshadowed by its demand for obedience and belief in irrational
dogma.

The news and entertainment media also play a role in shaping public
beliefs. In their unending search for audience share, screenwriters
and journalists must provide content that is shocking, so that it will
get the publics' attention. Unfortunately, the only remaining source
of shocking material dwells ever deeper in the depths of those
subjects that have traditionally been taboo: sex, violence,
corruption, ... and this is what we are continually fed by the media.
Unfortunately, the well of shocking subjects has been almost exhausted
over the decades, so that now the really hardcore taboos are being
presented to the public in the name of entertainment and news, and the
public is thus being continually ever more desensitized to their truly
vile nature.

The word 'self-restraint' is rapidly ebbing from the vocabulary of
Americans as a result of pursuit of capitalistic gain.

/today's sermon
Old July 8th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 03:27:48 GMT, Jose
wrote in ::

I hope those who were abused by the misguided LEOs were justly
compensated, and those who committed such a repugnant act were
appropriately punished.

Is there an easy way to find out?

Perhaps the person who posted the account of that story may be able to
provide a link to the news story. That would give us a starting place
to research.
Old July 8th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

Second, the notion of 'taking care of the unwashed masses' has its
origins in organized religion, hence my earlier statement concerning
the undue political influence of the religious-right in US policy
decisions.

is it that you object to religious influence on US policy or just any
influence from the religious-right?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old July 8th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 02:12:28 -0500, "Montblack"
wrote in
::

...I'm pulling a Stephen King in "Creepshow" (1982)

Have you ever considered dwelling in the real world instead of the
realm of fiction? Fictional accounts are so vastly inferior to real
life events, that I find them (and hence most of your cinematic
references) unworthy of notice.