UK - CAA consultation on Mode S transponders

Old April 18th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_2_]

Default UK - CAA consultation on Mode S transponders

I've just responded and received reference number 0088. If these numbers
are incremental, it really is urgent that all UK glider pilots respond!

The current proposals are for mandatory transponder use in all
controlled airspace, and the creation of Transponder Mandatory Zones
(effectively increasing controlled airspace).

I estimate that the cost of fitting a transponder to my Open Cirrus
might be 50% of the hull value, and operating costs could increase the
cost of my fling by 20%. The alternative is to squeeze my flying into
the increasingly limited amount of uncontrolled airspace.

The consultation is at:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...90&pageid=9307

Old April 19th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Field[_3_]

On Apr 18, 2:34 pm, Chris Reed wrote:
I've just responded and received reference number 0088. If these numbers
are incremental, it really is urgent that all UK glider pilots respond!

The current proposals are for mandatory transponder use in all
controlled airspace, and the creation of Transponder Mandatory Zones
(effectively increasing controlled airspace).

I estimate that the cost of fitting a transponder to my Open Cirrus
might be 50% of the hull value, and operating costs could increase the
cost of my fling by 20%. The alternative is to squeeze my flying into
the increasingly limited amount of uncontrolled airspace.

The consultation is at:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...90&pageid=9307

I submitted my response last Tuesday, and my reference number was
0055. If it is incremental and only 88 people have replied, then
that's really worrying...

And to fit a transponder to my glider is 500% of the hull value (It's
a 1956 Skylark)!!! Think of all the gliders that people would want to
sell if this came into force. We would suddenly have hundreds of older
gliders flooding the market and no way of selling them on. Clubs would
have to jack up prices to buy more single seaters (to cater for the
pilots who can no longer afford their own), as well as outfit every
glider other than those solely for the most basic of Ab-Initio
training (and that's only if the club is not inside a TMZ). With UK
membership declining and cost being quoted as one of the prime
reasons, how many clubs and how many pilots would survive this radical
change?

We need to oppose this as strongly as possible and the only way to
make an impact is with sheer numbers of valid people making valid
points.

Mode S transponders Wallis Home Built 4 March 10th 05 10:33 AM
AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE CONSULTATION DWANE CLIFFORD Products 0 March 11th 04 09:51 PM
AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE CONSULTATION DWANE CLIFFORD Naval Aviation 0 March 11th 04 09:51 PM
AEROSPACE AND DEFENSE CONSULTATION DWANE CLIFFORD Military Aviation 0 March 11th 04 09:50 PM
Mode S Transponders - Can ATC tell the difference? Doodybutch Owning 2 August 10th 03 06:21 AM