DAFIF going away?

Old August 9th 04, 05:57 PM
Paul Tomblin

Default DAFIF going away?

For my waypoint generators, my main source for data for outside of the US
is the Digital Aeronautical Flight Information File, a product of the US
National Geospatial Intelligence Agency NGA (Formerly NIMA - National
Intelligence and Mapping Agency, I think, but that's not relevant anyway).
I've been hearing nasty rumours that the DAFIF file will no longer be
available on the net for free download, and the CD won't be available to
non-government users.

That could be the death of my waypoint generator for outside of
the US.

Does anybody know about this?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
About Windows XP, seen in Forbes Magazine ..
Old August 9th 04, 10:58 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Murphy" said:
Does anybody know about this?

I sure hope not because I've used the DAFIF a lot. Where did you hear this
?

Somebody forwarded me an email that he supposedly got from the DAFIF
program manager.

:Recently there has been a petition that has passed through the chain
f command in NGA to remove DAFIF and all FLIP products from the www. It is
:now at the stages of being incorporated into the federal register for
:comments. Due to legal issues, I won't give you any final answers; but I
:will say that internally the move has been approved.
:What does this mean to everyone; DAFIF will be moved to PKI access.
:Meaning anyone with a logon and password will still be able to download it.
:So any US govt agency, and govt contractors with a requirement for DAFIF
:will still have access.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
You're nicer than I. I was thinking "Mark, would you recognize a clue
Old August 10th 04, 03:30 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (Paul Tomblin) said:
I've been hearing nasty rumours that the DAFIF file will no longer be
available on the net for free download, and the CD won't be available to
non-government users.

Here is an email I got from Jerry Leicht, the DAFIF Program Manager:

:From: "Leicht, John J. "
:To: "'Paul Tomblin'"
:Subject: DAFIF data

:Paul,
:
: Thank you for sending in your question about DAFIF and whether it'll
:be available any longer. Here's what I know. There is an initiative to
:remove DAFIF from the www and from public sale. The issue is not set in
:stone, but is being entered into the federal register for comments and
:complaints. There is still some talk about having a US only DAFIF, but for
:now that's just talk.
: This initiative began because the Australian AIP producers are suing
:Jeppesen for copyright infringement. I don't know any of the details
:involved, but in order to prevent a similar situation, we are researching
:contingencies like this.
:
:Jerry Leicht
AFIF Program Manager
:National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA)
:Comm: 314-263-4636
SN: 693-4636
:Pager and Voicemail: 877-523-0130

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
D: is just a data disk. That's why it's called "D", for "DATA".