Friday 072707 in Oshkosh Pt 1 - the Raptor [01/30] - "F22 lifting off 18 after very short takeoff roll.jpg" yEnc (0/1)

Old August 1st 07, 06:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew-S

Default What are you really trying to accomplish

Dave,
I will happily stand corrected on the PhD issue and offer my apologies for
that miss-reading... Blame it on the heat of the emotions...

In fairness though you too have misread a few things.. Such as why I am
opposed to yEnc or that even though I dislike using it I am in fact yEnc
capable. A big Part of the reason for my anti-yEnc stance is that this
group is aimed towards Amateurs in both aviation Photography AND the
Newsgroups. Oh and by the way most of the other NON-Porn image groups have
had similar discussions and arguments as this one has at some point in their
respective histories. Why it has reached the levels of intensity that this
one has I can only attribute to the fact that this a male dominated
(frequently ex-military or police) group. And lads who disagree typically
want to puff out their chests and expound their views. The hardest part
though is resisting those urges without feeling or looking like a panzy
(spelling?) showing off his frilly pink underwear in public.

In my opinion given how angry people get about yEnc, it should for moment be
considered a taboo subject for a few weeks in the NG. As in no discussion
of why it is good or bad. No remarks about the whining (and please don't
try to argue that the pro yEnc crowd doesn't whine). No snide remarks about
the abilities associated with this or that reader. Just let the it die as a
subject for the moment... A cooling off period that I think would do the
group a world of good. I am looking at the broader issue which is what it
is hurting the group.

Having said that someone just posted a batch of images in yEnc without the
required yEnc in the subject line. Now then yEnc supporters here is your
chance to enforce your own rules... I fully expect to see all the pro yEnc
names that have engaged the anti-yEnc side when the flaming begins.
Preferable without all the nasty comments regarding those of us who dislike
yEnc...

Now go get him!!!

Andrew

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 02:12:14 -0400, "Andrew-S"
I-Still-Hate-Spammers@Sorry-I had-to-leave-for-bit.com wrote:

You have a PhD and your point is??? Hell 2/3rds of the population in
Washington DC metro area have degrees. Even more impressive is that I
think
it is something like only 1 in 6 is actually the degree in the field for
which they where trained. As for your specific graphics training? I work
in
a camera shop and I have at least 3 or 4 people a day tell me they either
pro or they have this or that degree in either graphics or photography.
The
more professional ones come in asking for advice or knowing what they
want,
it is only later on when they pull out a Black Amex Titanium (as in a
real
titanium not plastic card) with their company name on it that you realize
what they are.

Uhh, you need to take a course in reading comprehension, kid. Where
did I say I have a PhD? I have no graphics training. (Twenty years in
the Navy, twenty years as an opto-electronics engineer, ten years as a
high performance driving instructor for cops, but no PhD.) d;o)

Forty-three? So I *was* correct. I have kids older than you.

This thing can end very easily, Andrew: Stop your incessant whining.
It does not become you.

As for the cowardice thingy.... we all say things on the internet that
we would not say if we were face to face with each other. Your
telling me to **** off is an example. I know you wouldn't say that to
me face to face, not because you are a coward, but because I know you
are better than that. You read to much into peoples' words.

Dave
(Who, at 70 and 6"1' (shrinking!), 220 pounds has absolutely NO
interest in fighting anyone. Been there. Done that. Have the
t-shirt.)

Old August 1st 07, 06:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Meyer

In article ,
wrote:

You have a PhD and your point is??? Hell 2/3rds of the population in
Washington DC metro area have degrees.

[Much vitriol snipped]

quickly realize that I may commit a 1000 sins, but cowardice isn't one of
them. On the other hand I am simply stating that I have no wish to continue
a war of words that I see as detrimental to the group. So if you continue
it, that is your choice, but it will be a very lonely war of words.

Andrew

Take a xanax or something Andy, before you burst a vein.

--
One is always considered mad when one perfects something that others can
not grasp.*- Ed Wood
Old August 1st 07, 07:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
AWem

Dave,

I like your $0.02
If these habitual complainers put $0.02 in a jar each time they
launched off into their peurile diatribes, they'd soon have enough
saved up so that they could pay for a real newsreader - the ones that
handle Yenc as well as any other format - instead of expecting to
piggy-back on others' efforts for FREE. But I guess they're too tight.

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:46:11 -0400, Dave LaCourse
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:46:47 -0600, "Chuck"
wrote:

Just take your pics to someone who cares and leave us peasants alone.

Why are you folks giving this guy such a hard time? If you can not
see his posts, why the hell are you complaining about it. Modernize
and your computer will do it automatically - it doesn't matter whether
it's yenc, jpeg, mpeg, gif, whatever. All this complaining because
you won't modernize your computers maks no sense. Get real. I enjoy
all the photos on this ng, regardless the format posted in. If
someone is posting in a new format and I can't read that format, then
I will up-date my computer so I can read it, or I'll shut the eff up.

Just my $0.02

Dave

Old August 1st 07, 07:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Shiver

Default * * * - TO THE GROUP - * * *

TO THE GROUP.

You know folks this has always been a friendly group.

Oh yes a few agitators show up from time to time just like they have
this past few weeks.

But on the average it has always been a friendly group.

It's surprising that in the past few weeks just two or three
johnny come latelys have shown up with a desire to destroy this group.

HEY - LET'S BE HONEST.

They must be here to destroy it because they certainly are not
acting like reponsible adults who wish to build it up.

NOW ARE THEY.?????

I'll bet that these little assholes have jobs and that on the first day
of the job they were told there were certain standards and that they
were expected to follow those standards or else.

I'll bet they raised their children in a household that has certain
standards and that they expected those children to follow those
standards.

I'll bet they sleep beside a woman who has certain standards that have
to be met.... or else.

If they joined a social club, sports club, or any organization there
would be certain standards that they would be expected to adhere too.

Or else they would be told to leave and not come back.

In reality if people don't follow certain standards they get fired from
their jobs, divorced by their wives, or kicked out of the club.

But this is cyber space and instead of coming into the group and
realizing that the majority had settle the Yenc problem by declaring
this a Yenc free group years ago..... they have decided as a small
group
of relative unknowns and newcomers to be total assholes and disregard
the requests of the majority.

They have decided that their standards are more important than the
overall welfare of the group as a whole.

People like Andrew who has been here for ten years posting many many
thousands of pictures can't hold a candle to these guys.

People like Andrew are strictly dirt under their fingernails and the
way they behave is this group is more important than anybody and
everybody else.

But within a few months they will disappear just like every other
asshole who has tried to disrupt this group has disappeared.

They say they won't but we all know they will.

They will realize that no matter how much they mouth off, or try to ram
Yenc down everybodies throat that the following they are hoping for did
not materialize.

And when they realize they have few friends here and that the majority
is not responding to their postings in a positive manner they will go
and this group can get back to normal.

And to you the small group who are disrupting this newsgroup right now
I point out the obvious that you could have come in with your best foot
forward, telling us a little bit about who you are, what your interests
are. You would have seen that Yenc was frowned upon, and for all that
software you talk about I presume that if Yenc can be turned on it can
also be turned off.

Now that would have been the mature way to join the group, and if you
had done that you guys would have been immediately welcomed into this
little group of airplane enthusiasts with open arms.

Instead you have decided that for a short time you will be the assholes
of the group.

And guys I just can't understand why you take that attitude and act
this way when the absolute majority here would rather welcome you with
open arms as new friends.

But that's a decision you guys made.

SO GO AHEAD AND ENJOY YOURSELF.

When you get tired of little or no attention or response, you will
disappear just like every other asshole has disappeared before you,
because you will be ignored just like every other asshole before you
has been ignored.

You guys came here with no friends and you will leave here with no
friends. And that is a decision you guys made all on your own.
Old August 1st 07, 08:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
DS

So far, Andrew is ahead in the war of words, if you consider volume. (word
count, not dB)
,
Anti yEnc: Not missing what you can't see is kinda like not answering the back
doorbell because you don't like the sound. (look a gift horse in the mouth)
Maybe the newbies can't decode yEnc. They should not be urged to expand their
capabilities. Three newsreaders that don't decode yEnc. Wise choice. How
many do you needed?
,
It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness. Then, if you don't
like what you see, extinguish the candle, but hold harmless the one that
furnished it.
,
Pro yEnc: Old dog, new trick - horse to water come to mind. (what's left of
it)
,
The anti and and pro yEncers are a continual source of amusement. To see
folks banging their heads against opposite sides of the same brick wall, and
they still haven't figured out that the pain will fade if they stop. Everyone
is entitled to their own opinion, but nobody has the right to stifle others'.
,
I have no problem with yEnc. I have a problem with those that think I should.
,
DS

Old August 1st 07, 08:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Maple1

Well Said............
Old August 1st 07, 09:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Boomerang

What a sensible statement! Whilst all this hubris has been happening, I
quietly downloaded the free yEnc thing that works just fine and I've been
enjoying some great Oshkosh stuff that I surely would have otherwise
missed...

Old August 1st 07, 09:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew-S

I need a break so I think I will go fly a patrol with a local PD...

If anyone cares to hold up a liquor store and give me a stress reliever now
is the time!!! Just remember to keep it within the air defence perimeter of
Washington DC. This way all the Police Helicopters can have a clear view of
the chase without having to worry about annoying news copters...

Andrew

Old August 2nd 07, 01:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Just Plane Noise[_2_]

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 16:11:32 -0400, "Boomerang"
wrote:

What a sensible statement! Whilst all this hubris has been happening, I
quietly downloaded the free yEnc thing that works just fine and I've been
enjoying some great Oshkosh stuff that I surely would have otherwise
missed...

Assuming you meant my pix, thanks for the kind words!
Old August 2nd 07, 01:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Just Plane Noise[_2_]

Having said that someone just posted a batch of images in yEnc without the
required yEnc in the subject line. Now then yEnc supporters here is your
chance to enforce your own rules... I fully expect to see all the pro yEnc
names that have engaged the anti-yEnc side when the flaming begins.
Preferable without all the nasty comments regarding those of us who dislike
yEnc...

Now go get him!!!

Andrew

The only "just posted" batch I see is mine, and all are marked "yEnc."
Did I miss a batch?