Trig TN72 Antenna

Old April 3rd 17, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Ainslie

Default Trig TN72 Antenna

Greetings all,

Well, the TN72 is to be released shortly, and for those of us with Trig transponders this looks to be a great way to get ADS-B compliant. But... they recommend also buying a phenomenally expensive $300 plus antenna with it. Basically, it's this antenna he

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...mi11-14354.php

I see why it's $300 - after all, it contains an amplifier and yet can handles being exposed to god knows what placed on the outside of an aircraft. But we will no doubt be placing ours somewhere inside where they never get wet. So is there any reason why one can't sue this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Ac...+antenna+%2B5V

Both use the +5V to run a 28dB gain amp built into the unit. Not sure I want to spend $300 when I can spend $14! Possible issues are 1) technical and 2) regulatory, and I thought I'd test the knowledge on this board to see if I can't save a few sheckels.

BTW this could affect quite a few of us, so I'm really hoping that people with a good avionics/GPS level of knowledge could help us out here.
Old April 3rd 17, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_15_]

On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 7:27:03 AM UTC-7, Andrew Ainslie wrote:
[...]

The TN72 antenna is different that the amazon antenna. The TN72 is an amplified TSO antenna that is why the size and price is more.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old April 3rd 17, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Ainslie

Richard,

That antenna is also amplified. I get that the TRIG one is TSO'ed, but is that really necessary for this application? Also a lot of money was spent making it tough to go on top of a plane in the breeze, which we don't need.

Old April 3rd 17, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Ainslie

I just noticed that there is a difference in cable termination, which could probably be fixed with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/2pack-Female-...=TNC+SMA+cable

Old April 3rd 17, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GeneReinecke

On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 8:27:03 AM UTC-6, Andrew Ainslie wrote:
[...]

Pardon the thread creep: Will this work with a Trig 21 Transponder in an experimental glider or do I need a Trig 22 or better? $359 at Aircraft Spruce plus a $300 antenna is a pretty affordable option for ADS B voluntary compliance. I guess worries about multi thousand dollar solutions was overhyped?

Old April 3rd 17, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 9:42:32 AM UTC-6, GeneReinecke wrote:
[...]

Gene,
I checked on this question for an "experimental" glider and on Dec 7th, 2016 I received this reply directly from Trig:

"Thank you for your interest in our TN72 GPS receiver.

The TN72 is compatible with your TT21 transponder and is an ideal choice for your glider.
TABS exists to allow exempt aircraft like yours to participate in ADS-B.
Your TT21 transponder exceeds the technical requirements of TABS and so does not require upgrading."

Thx - Renny
Old April 4th 17, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_15_]

On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 8:42:32 AM UTC-7, GeneReinecke wrote:
[...]

More affordable

http://www.craggyaero.com/trig.htm

Richard
Craggy Aero
Old April 3rd 17, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GeneReinecke

[...]

Excellent. Thanks for the quick response.
Gene
Old April 5th 17, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

The previous owner of my glider installed a TT21. Last July in rural Vermont, a Cessna overflew me on my 6. He was about 100 feet above me.

So I've been thinking that there is a very remote chance that installing ADS-B out might one day be a very big one time pay off for me. I expect that as we get closer to 2020, more and more ADS-B equipped power pilots will rely more and more on their screens and audible alerts for VFR traffic avoidance. I'll probably install ADS-B out eventually, and the cost of the TN72 with the recommended antenna seems reasonable. So the question remains, do I want to spend $300 less and buy a no-name antenna on Amazon?

On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 10:27:03 AM UTC-4, Andrew Ainslie wrote:
a phenomenally expensive $300 plus antenna with it....

I see why it's $300 - after all, it contains an amplifier and yet can handles being exposed to god knows what placed on the outside of an aircraft. But we will no doubt be placing ours somewhere inside where they never get wet. So is there any reason why one can't use this one?

This is missing the point. The TSO'd antenna is tested to comply with the specification. I'd be paying $300 for a quality assurance process and some peace of mind. The price is set by what the buyers will pay, it has little to do with the cost of production. The $300 would seem insignificant if I were paying $6000 to install ADS-B in my aircraft.

The seller of the bargain antenna copied the much sought-after-specification onto the Amazon catalog. He knows a guy, that knows a guy, who makes cheap antennas. Maybe the antenna unit that I buy off Amazon will work as advertised, and maybe it will still be working when I need it. Maybe it will develop a short and brick my TN72. Maybe I will notice and install a new TN72 and an expensive antenna before I really need it. It's all a matter of probabilities. If I'm feeling lucky, then why bother installing ADS-B at all?

Old April 5th 17, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Ainslie

I'm now a lot more into this. Your Clearnav, LXNAV, FLARM antennae are all exactly the same as that 300 buck antenna in terms of spec and performance.

BTW if you're really into TSO'ed equipment, don't buy the $350 TN 72, but the $2000 TN70, which is functionally almost exactly the same... but TSO'ed.

Your choice!

Trig TX-Too much sun? K m Soaring 1 June 7th 16 06:01 AM
Trig transponder [email protected] Soaring 0 April 14th 16 03:30 AM
Comm antenna distance from pilot? Becker flex antenna? [email protected] Soaring 3 January 16th 13 11:16 AM
Trig 1090ES ADS-B Receiver jcarlyle Soaring 1 July 21st 10 10:00 PM
TRIG TT21 Transponders Tim Mara[_2_] Soaring 12 September 26th 09 02:01 AM