Sport pilot question

Old May 18th 05, 03:55 PM

Default Sport pilot question

The Sport Pilot regs say that a Private Pilot acting as a Sport Pilot
must have a current Bi-annual flight review, but I cannot find anything
in the Sport Pilot regs. that states that a Sport Pilot must have a
flight review of any kind after he/she gets the initial license. If
that is the case, why can't a Private Pilot act as a Sport Pilot
without having to have the Bi-annual flight review?

Neal

Old May 19th 05, 12:22 AM
gilan

Have you asked your question on the Light-Sport Aircraft group?
--
Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group

wrote ...

Old May 19th 05, 01:44 AM
UltraJohn

one possiblilty is that a PPL flying under SP doesn't need to be signed off
for each airplane make and model that he flys. A SP that is not a PPL needs
signed off and tested for each!
John

Old May 19th 05, 03:02 AM
Morgans

"UltraJohn" wrote in message
ink.net...
one possiblilty is that a PPL flying under SP doesn't need to be signed

off
for each airplane make and model that he flys. A SP that is not a PPL

needs
signed off and tested for each!
John

You need to research that further, with EAA. The interpretation is that if
you hold a single engine land SP, you are good to go on all sp SEL. if you
want to fly a seaplane, you can, if you get a signoff for that one model.
Same for a twin.

It closes the loophole that has allowed a SEL PP fly an experimental
seaplane or twin, with no checkouts or controls. No longer, with a SP.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 19th 05, 04:05 AM
W P Dixon

Hi Gang,
Well from the way I am seeing it, it mentions recreational and private
pilots..but never a sport pilot. Could this be because sport pilots can not
fly twin engines, retracts, etc. so there is no need to be included in the
new rule. A sport pilot must be signed off to fly w/floats, trikes, powered
parachutes, gliders. Seems the new sport pilot rule pretty much already has
it covered as far as getting endorsements to fly other aircraft, in their
category. Seems like what is mentioned in this new rule are pretty much
planes sport pilots can not legally fly anyway? Of course I am sure the FAA
rule is about 3,907,268 pages long and I have not read the official
document, but that is what I am getting from what I am reading on the news
websites.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old May 19th 05, 04:33 AM
UltraJohn

You need to research that further, with EAA. The interpretation is that
if
you hold a single engine land SP, you are good to go on all sp SEL. if
you want to fly a seaplane, you can, if you get a signoff for that one
model. Same for a twin.

It closes the loophole that has allowed a SEL PP fly an experimental
seaplane or twin, with no checkouts or controls. No longer, with a SP.

I'll look later when I have more time buttttt. I think I'm right.
A SP from scratch gets endorsed for his make and model and must be
checked/tested for additionals. I may be wrong (I thought I was wrong once,
but I was mistaken!).
John

Old May 19th 05, 04:43 AM
W P Dixon

John,
Sport Pilots can not fly twin engine aircraft, they would be required to
"move up" in certificate . As for float planes , that is still being debated
by higher folks than myself. I think the meaning of sport pilot floats ,
means just floats, not amphibious ( that means retracts, which are against
sport pilot rules) I just do not see this affecting sport pilots at all,
just rec and PPL's that have been flying twins with no rating for them
because they were homebuilts or what have you.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

k.net...

Old May 19th 05, 05:42 AM
Morgans

"UltraJohn" wrote in message
k.net...

You need to research that further, with EAA. The interpretation is

that
if
you hold a single engine land SP, you are good to go on all sp SEL. if
you want to fly a seaplane, you can, if you get a signoff for that one
model. Same for a twin.

It closes the loophole that has allowed a SEL PP fly an experimental
seaplane or twin, with no checkouts or controls. No longer, with a SP.

I'll look later when I have more time buttttt. I think I'm right.
A SP from scratch gets endorsed for his make and model and must be
checked/tested for additionals. I may be wrong (I thought I was wrong

once,
but I was mistaken!).
John

I'll have to double check, myself.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 19th 05, 05:47 AM
Morgans

"W P Dixon" wrote in message
John,
Sport Pilots can not fly twin engine aircraft, they would be required to
"move up" in certificate . As for float planes , that is still being

debated
by higher folks than myself. I think the meaning of sport pilot floats ,
means just floats, not amphibious ( that means retracts, which are against
sport pilot rules) I just do not see this affecting sport pilots at all,
just rec and PPL's that have been flying twins with no rating for them
because they were homebuilts or what have you.

SP allows for repositionable gear for amphibians. Just what that means, is
still out for debate. The one time ruling I saw was that the flight had to
originate and end from water, or start and end from land. Kinda defeats the
purpose of an amphibian, doesn't it? I hope it gets changed. That is
stupid.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 20th 05, 03:36 AM
W P Dixon

You are correct there Jim, and I agree it sure needs to be "fixed" on the
amphibs. I read the FAA SP notice today on the site and it says a
proficiency check is required for a sport pilot to go from SEL to
weight-shift or glider . I think originally it was just going to be a CFI
endorsement. Let me stress this came from the Sport Pilot FAA website,...had
nothing to do with PPL's. Amazing how a rule that could be so simple has to
be made so dern complicated by people in suits that have nothing better to
do ! I guess what I read was what the aveb news and all was talking about.
It is all I saw on the official site.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech