Dream Time -- Little help here?

Old July 1st 03, 03:09 PM

I'm looking through this all in hindsight, of course. My installation time could be off
by as much as a factor of 2, but I wouldn't say any more than that.

: I'm amazed that you were able to install all of the above in only 20-40
: hrs, including antennas and splitters one assumes.

: It took more than 20 hrs for us to install our intercom (of course,
: DH is a trifle anal about wanting everything neatly bundled,
: heat shrinked, etc.

I've done a fair bit of wiring in my educational pursuits, so I've gotten used to
soldering, heat shrinking, bundling, etc. Only difference here was mil-spec wire.

: Part of that time of course was taking out and putting in the
: interior, which of course you'd only have to do once, but still,
: especially for stuff you got off ebay which might not have a
: sound wiring harness and proper connectors...

True enough, but for those that needed it, install kits and pin removal tools.

For grins, I posted up a quick page showing the before and after pictures. I'd
forgotten how rough it looked before.

http://juneau.me.vt.edu/~papenfuss/plane.html

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old July 1st 03, 03:39 PM
clyde woempner

Why replace anything till it breaks, get your money's worth out of what you
have, as long as it works use it. Now do I sound like the wife??
Clyde

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Okay, the interest rates aren't going any lower, and I can refinance our
relatively-small-but-still-fairly-significant aircraft loan for a much

lower
rate, and lower my monthly loan payments to next to nothing.

OR (heh, heh, heh...), I can keep the same monthly payment, and get MORE
(bwa-ha-ha!) money, with which to upgrade my woefully out of date panel.

SO, here's the deal -- I need you guys to help me plan my Oshkosh shopping
trip! Here are the parameters:

1. Figure around $8K to play with.
2. Figure VFR needs only, but with minimal IFR capability. (I will
eventually finish that rating...)

Here's what I've got now:

2 Narco coms
2 Narco VORs, both with glide slope
Narco audio panel
Narco transponder
Narco DME
JPI FS 450 fuel flow meter
PS Engineering CD player/4 place intercom
JPI EDM-700 engine analyzer.

Everything works. We have a hand-held Lowrance Airmap 300 that has just
started acting hinky, and we'll be looking to replace it at OSH.

For the panel, I'm leaning toward installing a good VFR GPS/COM
(UPSAT/Apollo?), leaving one of my Narco coms as "Com 2", and leaving the
Narco VOR Navs "as-is". I'd really like to junk the Narco audio panel,

and
install the PS Engineering one, but I'm not sure if I can swing the

GPS/Com,
the new handheld GPS AND a new audio panel...

What do you guys think? (Or should I install "God's Own Leather

Interior"
instead?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 1st 03, 04:11 PM
Jay Honeck

Use the $$ to buy more autogas, Jay!

The latest count off the gauge on the Mighty Grape: 1300 gallons pumped:

Translated into dollars, that's 1300 gallons x $1.50 (per gallon price
differential comparted to Avgas) = $1950.00 saved since November.

It's hard to beat.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 1st 03, 04:24 PM

Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:
: It would be nice to have, but for my IFR training, I wanted to be
: roficient at old-school stuff. The GPS will only make it easier...

: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

: Spoken like a man who definately doesn't have an IFR approach
: GPS, especially an older model.

I believe we're making the same point. I'm already irritated at having to dial up
obscure identifiers on my VFR GPS (push, push, wind-wind-wind, push, wind-wind-wind, push, etc).
I know that dealing with the unit itself would be a pain, but once it's in a moving map approach
makes things simpler to actually fly. My point was that for learning, I'd rather make it hard
on myself and learn to deal with situational awareness, distractions, and airplane control on
partial panel on the initial rating. Maybe later when actually proficient with this will I
consider making thing easier. Fine line between easy/complacency and difficult/proficiency.

Old July 1st 03, 04:30 PM

Jay Honeck wrote:
: Use the $$ to buy more autogas, Jay!

: The latest count off the gauge on the Mighty Grape: 1300 gallons pumped:

: Translated into dollars, that's 1300 gallons x $1.50 (per gallon price
: differential comparted to Avgas) = $1950.00 saved since November.

: It's hard to beat.

Preaching to the choir here, Jay. I'm already sold on autogas with a $1.25/gal diff
between based 100LL and 93 AKI with a $0.125 tax rebate (obviously since the pricey STC). I'm
still lugging 6-gal cans to the airport though. I'm pretty sure the new Nazi airport manager
would have kittens if I tried to use/store a fuel truck/trailer on the line. Still thinking
about how to do it for cheap. If I could easily filter the 6-gal containers to get the small
amount of sediment and water out of it, I probably wouldn't even bother with trying to do it
bulk.

Old July 1st 03, 06:41 PM
Dennis O'Connor

I've been swilling that cheap arabic 83 octane for years... Can't be
beat... I do tend to go crazy in the hot weather and use gasp 87 octane,
though...

My mechanic hates, absolutely hates, mogas, so come annual time I run the
tanks down and fill with 100LL to cover up the odor... Every year he glares
at me and says, "Why aren't these plugs fouled?"....
I change the subject and never answer him, but he's getting suspicious as to
why my over 500 hour set of plugs are still like spanking new - which cuts
into his profit margin...

Denny

Old July 1st 03, 06:54 PM
Jim Fisher

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
. ..

Just recently I saw a "stormscope" in a magazine devoted to Park and
Recreation Department people. It's designed to allow Park and Rec

directors
to close/open outdoor events when storms get close by.

Not even close in performance to an aviation panel-mount Stormscope or
Strikefinder.

I would probably agree. But from where does this information come? What's
the difference . . . other than up to fourteen-thousand dollars?

I performed a search for the gadget that I originally mentioned and cannot
find it. It had a LCD screen that gave you range and direction of the
strike within something like 60 miles. The only one I could find out there
was this piece of crap that gives distance only:
http://www.bryanglobalservices.com/skyscan.html

So, if this is what you are comparing a "real" Stormscope to then I would
have to agree.

But this other gadget (that I cannot find on the Web) was much niftier. I
imagine that some enterprising aviation enthusiast cold very easily take the
digital range/direction output from this gadget and overlay that information
on a palm computer aviation map and, whalla!, a Strikefinder that rivals the
"performance" of the "real" thing at literally pennies on the dollar.

Y'all send me a dollar or two when you invent it and become wealthy, okay?

--
Jim Fisher

Old July 1st 03, 08:04 PM

: But if it were me I woulda sprung for one piece
: of fancy new equipment: one of those PS Engineering combination
: audio panel/intercoms with the built-in CD player

The intercom,audio panel, and GPS/COM were the first things we put
in. That was when we were still planning on a simple VFR panel. Upon
pricing old equipment like the KX-170B, it quickly became apparent that
for only very slightly more money, we could go with old-school digital
IFR. Doing it over I'd probably put in a little better intercom, but this
one works fine and has a "good sounding" name.

Old July 1st 03, 09:43 PM
Ryan Ferguson

Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:

But if it were me I woulda sprung for one piece
of fancy new equipment: one of those PS Engineering combination
audio panel/intercoms with the built-in CD player

Feh! CDs are old technology, and they're not cockpit-friendly. I bought a
Creative Labs Nomad 20GB mp3 player. It stores the equivalent of hundreds of CDs
and has about 20 hours of nonstop playtime thanks to two lithium ion rechargeable
batteries. It plugs into my intercom via a 1/8" stereo audio cable, so it eats no
panel space. Best of all - no changing CDs! Grand total cost: about $430,
including the second battery. (Play time is 10 hrs. with just one.) I also use
it when forced to fly commercial to drown out the little screamers. I even fall
asleep to soothing tunes in hotel rooms across the country thanks to high-quality
Sony earbuds (about $30.) You can't even feel 'em in your ears as you sleep.

I have about 16GB filled, and have no idea what I'll do with the remaining 4GB -
will fill it with new albums as I buy them, I suppose. Gotta love technology.

-Ryan
CFI-ASE-AME, CP-ASMEL-IA, CP-RH, AGI