VOR routes without VORs

Old April 15th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default VOR routes without VORs

Is it "cheating" or bad form or against regulations to plan a route based on
VORs and then fly it by GPS, particularly when the aircraft may be out of
range of the VORs at some point along its route?

Old April 15th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ZikZak

On Apr 15, 1:17 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Is it "cheating" or bad form or against regulations to plan a route based on
VORs and then fly it by GPS, particularly when the aircraft may be out of
range of the VORs at some point along its route?

No, it's just fine. Current regs require backup nav equipment be
aboard when navigating by GPS under IFR, but it doesn't require that
you actually use it. When VFR, it makes no difference at all.

Old April 15th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

ZikZak writes:

No, it's just fine. Current regs require backup nav equipment be
aboard when navigating by GPS under IFR, but it doesn't require that
you actually use it.

Thanks.

So if I file IFR and my route uses VORs, and at some point I'm out of range of
all the VORs on my route (but still navigating okay because of the GPS, which
just treats them as waypoints and doesn't actually need to be able to receive
the VOR signals), does that mean I'm technically illegal because I wouldn't be
able to fall back onto the VOR receivers I have aboard if the GPS failed?

Old April 15th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
Is it "cheating" or bad form or against regulations to plan a route based on
VORs and then fly it by GPS, particularly when the aircraft may be out of
range of the VORs at some point along its route?

IFR: yes
VFR: no

But why would anyone do that unless you are talking about using GPS
to get from VOR to VOR?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 15th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
ZikZak writes:

No, it's just fine. Current regs require backup nav equipment be
aboard when navigating by GPS under IFR, but it doesn't require that
you actually use it.

Thanks.

So if I file IFR and my route uses VORs, and at some point I'm out of range of
all the VORs on my route (but still navigating okay because of the GPS, which
just treats them as waypoints and doesn't actually need to be able to receive
the VOR signals), does that mean I'm technically illegal because I wouldn't be
able to fall back onto the VOR receivers I have aboard if the GPS failed?

No, it means you have no clue how IFR flights are planned and flown.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 16th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

ZikZak wrote:
On Apr 15, 1:17 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Is it "cheating" or bad form or against regulations to plan a route based on
VORs and then fly it by GPS, particularly when the aircraft may be out of
range of the VORs at some point along its route?

No, it's just fine. Current regs require backup nav equipment be
aboard when navigating by GPS under IFR, but it doesn't require that
you actually use it. When VFR, it makes no difference at all.

There is no such requirement if you have a TSO-C146 GPS.
Old April 16th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ZikZak

On Apr 15, 7:03 pm, Ron Natalie wrote:
ZikZak wrote:
On Apr 15, 1:17 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Is it "cheating" or bad form or against regulations to plan a route based on
VORs and then fly it by GPS, particularly when the aircraft may be out of
range of the VORs at some point along its route?

No, it's just fine. Current regs require backup nav equipment be
aboard when navigating by GPS under IFR, but it doesn't require that
you actually use it. When VFR, it makes no difference at all.

There is no such requirement if you have a TSO-C146 GPS.

Correct, I meant to say "navigating by most GPSs."

Old April 16th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ZikZak

On Apr 15, 1:53 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
ZikZak writes:
No, it's just fine. Current regs require backup nav equipment be
aboard when navigating by GPS under IFR, but it doesn't require that
you actually use it.

Thanks.

So if I file IFR and my route uses VORs, and at some point I'm out of range of
all the VORs on my route (but still navigating okay because of the GPS, which
just treats them as waypoints and doesn't actually need to be able to receive
the VOR signals), does that mean I'm technically illegal because I wouldn't be
able to fall back onto the VOR receivers I have aboard if the GPS failed?

No, you're not illegal because if the GPS fails you can dead reckon to
the service volume of the next VOR, triangulate your position from
VORs that you're actually in range of, use the ADF, request vectors,
etc.