Radio buzz

Old April 16th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default Radio buzz

I have an MX170 radio that I use to pick up ATIS, etc. Recently it
will occassionally have a buzz in it that is so loud you cannot hear
the transmission. It will buzz on all freq, then later in the flight
it will go away. This unit is no longer supported so I'm wondering if
there is any chance this could be something that could be addressed
without opening the unit (which is now illegal to do ).

-Robert

Old April 16th 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
mikem

On Apr 15, 8:11 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
...Recently it
will occassionally have a buzz in it that is so loud you cannot hear
the transmission. It will buzz on all freq, then later in the flight
it will go away.

What kind of buzz? When it buzzes, is the loudness of the buzz
effected by the vol control? by the squelch control? is the buzz there
even with the power switch off?

Old April 16th 07, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
mikem

On Apr 15, 10:42 pm, "mikem" wrote:
On Apr 15, 8:11 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

...Recently it
will occassionally have a buzz in it that is so loud you cannot hear
the transmission. It will buzz on all freq, then later in the flight
it will go away.

What kind of buzz? When it buzzes, is the loudness of the buzz
effected by the vol control? by the squelch control? is the buzz there
even with the power switch off?

One more question. When it buzzes, can you still tell that there would
be a signal received if it where not for the buzz?

Old April 16th 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 15, 10:44 pm, "mikem" wrote:
On Apr 15, 10:42 pm, "mikem" wrote:

On Apr 15, 8:11 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

...Recently it
will occassionally have a buzz in it that is so loud you cannot hear
the transmission. It will buzz on all freq, then later in the flight
it will go away.

What kind of buzz? When it buzzes, is the loudness of the buzz
effected by the vol control? by the squelch control? is the buzz there
even with the power switch off?

One more question. When it buzzes, can you still tell that there would
be a signal received if it where not for the buzz?

I can hear the transmission in addition to the buzz. The buzz is
affected by the volume control. I don't have a squelch control for the
radio that I know of. However, pressing "test" (removing squelch)
doesn't affect the problem.

-Robert

Old April 16th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
mikem

I can hear the transmission in addition to the buzz. The buzz is
affected by the volume control. I don't have a squelch control for the
radio that I know of. However, pressing "test" (removing squelch)
doesn't affect the problem.

Ok, assuming the radio is "normal" (not buzzing), if you tune the
radio to a quiet channel where no-one is transmitting, with the
squelch switch in the TEST position, what do you hear?

When the radio is buzzing, tune the radio to a quiet channel where no-
one is transmitting, with the squelch switch in the TEST position,
what do you hear?

While it's buzzing, have you every tried pushing on the MX170's front
panel so as to seat it into its tray? I could be that the tray is
poorly mounted, and one-or-more pins in the tray connector are making
intermittent contact.

Does the buzzing follow engine rpm? While its buzzing, what happens if
you turn on/off heavy electrical loads, like nav/taxi/landing lights
and pitot heat?

What about turning off the right mag/left mag briefly in flight?

I'm trying to determine if the buzzing is RFI being received by the
MX170 as an on-channel radio signal (which open's the receiver's
squelch), or if it is something that is originating inside the MX170.

Old April 16th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 16, 8:06 am, "mikem" wrote:
[...]

Ok, I'll try that. I know the unit is on its last legs. I've tried to
have it serviced but the one guy that is authorize by the FAA to open
the unit just wants to sell new units and flat our refuses to offer
any serivce/support/parts/etc (makes you want to buy his new unit,
doesn't it ).

-Robert

Old April 16th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Chris

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ok, I'll try that. I know the unit is on its last legs. I've tried to
have it serviced but the one guy that is authorize by the FAA to ....

Just buy another unit then.

Old April 16th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 16, 12:51 pm, "Chris" wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Ok, I'll try that. I know the unit is on its last legs. I've tried to
have it serviced but the one guy that is authorize by the FAA to ....

Just buy another unit then.

That's the plan. However changing anything in the traying of a Mooney
is very, very, very expensive.

-Robert

Old April 19th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

That's an interesting heresy and untruth. Mind telling us how you came to
believe this?

Jim

Old April 19th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

If he opens it up, isn't there some sort of qualifications he needs to
certify it and return it to service?

RST Engineering wrote:
That's an interesting heresy and untruth. Mind telling us how you came to
believe this?

Jim

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

without opening the unit (which is now illegal to do ).

NASA Apollo 11 astronauts left to right are Neil A Armstrong, Michael Collins, Edwin E 'Buzz' Aldrin 8903695.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 1 April 10th 07 08:14 PM
bit of a buzz Chris Piloting 11 December 14th 05 09:05 PM
buzz off Eric Joiner Military Aviation 0 June 1st 04 04:40 PM
F-14 buzz JD Naval Aviation 3 February 11th 04 07:39 PM
the buzz John Shelton Soaring 3 December 18th 03 01:16 PM