Poll: What is the Preferred Format for Aviation Video Download

Old January 26th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Poll: What is the Preferred Format for Aviation Video Download

I share a number of flying videos on my web site in both Windows Media and
Real Video formats. Frankly, I'm tiring of spending the time to render both
high- and low-bandwidth versions of each video in two formats (making four
files for each video), so I'm considering using a single format for all
videos - which brings me to my question:

Given a choice to download the following formats, which would you choose and
why?

MPEG-4
WMV (v9)
Real (v10)

Some issues for consideration include:
Size. MPEG-1/2 files are simply too large compared to Real and WMV. While
storage isn't an issue, bandwidth is (and I run my own server that does not
sit on a backbone).

Quality. WMV and Real offer decent quality at a bitrate of ~250kbps. Of
course, lower bitrates of ~53kbps (to support modem users) drastically cut
down the quality in any format, but WMV and Real offer at least enough
information to pick out a runway while on final. MPEG-4 offers similar
quality for only a slightly larger file (for instance, a sample 1 minute
video is about 1.99MB in WMV and 2.02MB in MPEG-4 for similar bitrates).

Playback. Windows Media Player (WMP) is free and widespread on the most
popular PC operating system. Real Player is free and is bundled with many
name brand computers. There is a fairly wide range of players compatible
with MPEG-4, though, including proprietary players (like Real and QuickTime
[also free]) and "third-party" players.

Compatibility. WMV and Real are proprietary formats, but they are relatively
"open" and encoders are freely available for both formats. They also have
the backing of some of the largest players (business-wise) in the computer
industry. MPEG-4 is a standard published by international standards bodies,
but licensing issues have kept encoders out of the mainstream for several
years. However, that appears to be less of an issue now with a fairly wide
availability (not necessarily distribution) of encoders and players. While
most users are likely running some flavor of Windows, there is a large
number of non-Microsoft users (both in OS and software in general). MPEG-4
would appear to be the cross-platform format of choice, but not unless there
is a large enough market penetration of players.

Thanks for your input!

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/TknoFlyer

Old January 26th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John T opined

I share a number of flying videos on my web site in both Windows Media and
Real Video formats. Frankly, I'm tiring of spending the time to render both
high- and low-bandwidth versions of each video in two formats (making four
files for each video), so I'm considering using a single format for all
videos - which brings me to my question:

Given a choice to download the following formats, which would you choose and
why?

MPEG-4
WMV (v9)
Real (v10)

Something open source, not everyone runs windows.

-ash
Cthulhu in 2005!
Why wait for nature?

Old January 26th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"John T" wrote in message
m...
I share a number of flying videos on my web site in both Windows Media and
Real Video formats. Frankly, I'm tiring of spending the time to render
both high- and low-bandwidth versions of each video in two formats (making
four files for each video), so I'm considering using a single format for
all videos - which brings me to my question:

\
ANYTHING except real player. Yes, I yell, because, IMHO, real player is the
biggest parasite, system dominating piece of crap ever invented. Between
flash and real, I can't figure which I hate more.

I am always certain to kick real player out of every crack and nitch I can
find it in, whenever I reformat, or someone needs my help fixing a mess on
their system.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 27th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"John T" wrote in message
m...
[...]
MPEG-4
WMV (v9)
Real (v10)

Anything but Real. Their player is riddled with bugs, and is practically
spyware too. At least, that's how it was from the time it first came out
until six months or so ago when I finally gave up hope and stopped using it
altogether. Sure, you can use RealAlternative for playing Real files, but
compatibility will always lag behind the current Real format, and in any
case if you're encoding in Real, you're supporting a lame software company
even if users who don't want to don't have to use their player.

Quicktime isn't any less proprietary than WMV, but IMHO it's at least as
equal an option as WMV.

The latest MPEG-4 variation that everyone's raving about is H.264. I don't
think Windows Media Player supports it yet, but I think the Quicktime player
does.

"MPEG-4" by itself doesn't really narrow it down. Most of the current video
formats are based on MPEG-4 somehow. This includes QT, WMV, DivX, and of
course H.264. It would be hard to go wrong with almost any of the popular
MPEG-4-based formats. They all have comparable quality at comparable
bitrates, for most people's purposes.

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned: nearly any format is viable and
reasonable, except Real. I wish Real would just disappear.

Pete

Old January 27th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans wrote:

\
ANYTHING except real player. Yes, I yell, because, IMHO, real player is
the biggest parasite, system dominating piece of crap ever invented.

Well that and the fact the owner of the company is single handedly
keeping Air America afloat.
Old January 27th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ditto on Real Player.

The Monk

Old January 27th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John T wrote:

Given a choice to download the following formats, which would you choose and
why?

I would choose WMV simply because it playes reliably with my software. Some
MPEG-4 files don't, and I don't want Real-Player on my system.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old January 27th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article , John T
wrote:

Given a choice to download the following formats, which would you choose and
why?

MPEG-4
WMV (v9)
Real (v10)

An MPEG variant, by all means. The other two are closed, proprietary
formats, and that's just never a good idea when you're trying to appeal
to a wide audience like the web. And as other pointed out, Real is
just *awful* software.

--
Garner R. Miller
ATP/CFII/MEI
Old January 27th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mpeg-4.
Codecs for WMP, QT and Pocasts.
(Look for the G6 iPod to have a landscape screen the length of the
player.)