Interesting pic

Old July 16th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
jgalban

Default Interesting pic

A backcountry newb in a Mooney managed to land long and plow into a pickup
truck at an Idaho backcountry strip. I saw the Mooney after the crash and
it was bent, but mostly intact. My real surprise came when I flew into the
strip and saw the truck :

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/IMG_0738.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/IMG_0737.jpg

Yikes! Somebody up there must have been watching out for this pilot. He
and his passenger both lived.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old July 16th 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

JGalban wrote:

A backcountry newb in a Mooney managed to land long and plow into a pickup
truck at an Idaho backcountry strip. I saw the Mooney after the crash and
it was bent, but mostly intact. My real surprise came when I flew into the
strip and saw the truck :

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/IMG_0738.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/IMG_0737.jpg

Yikes! Somebody up there must have been watching out for this pilot. He
and his passenger both lived.

Hmm, no engine in the truck?
Old July 16th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 16, 1:32*pm, More_Flaps wrote:
JGalban wrote:

Hmm, no engine in the truck?

I wouldn't be surprised if the truck looked pretty much like that
before the accident. I had an accident with a truck in my Mooney (in
Mexico). My wing got smashed pretty good but not a scratch on the
truck. Airplanes are made of pretty soft metal.

-robert
Old July 16th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 16, 6:43*am, "JGalban" u32749@uwe wrote:
* A backcountry newb in a Mooney managed to land long and plow into a pickup
truck at an Idaho backcountry strip. * *I saw the Mooney after the crash and
it was bent, but mostly intact. *My real surprise came when I flew into the
strip and saw the truck :

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/IMG_0738.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/IMG_0737.jpg

* Yikes! *Somebody up there must have been watching out for this pilot. *He
and his passenger both lived.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

It never ceases to amaze me how many pilots fly into Idaho from
California and attempt to land at a backcountry strip without any
experience. We typically have at least 1 fatal a year because of
this.

There is an outfit in McCall that offers backcountry flight
instruction with experience instructors. If you want to land in the
Idaho backcountry, please get a backcountry orientation and checkout
flight with an experienced instructor first. Your life could depend
on it.
Old July 17th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"JGalban" u32749@uwe wrote in news:8738babbddf4f@uwe:

A backcountry newb in a Mooney managed to land long and plow into a
pickup
truck at an Idaho backcountry strip. I saw the Mooney after the
crash and it was bent, but mostly intact. My real surprise came when
I flew into the strip and saw the truck :

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/IMG_0738.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/IMG_0737.jpg

Yikes! Somebody up there must have been watching out for this
pilot. He
and his passenger both lived.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

It has to be the truck in the background!
No way an airplane is going to do that much damage unless it hit the truck
at very high speed and pretty much obliterated itself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDtC9kjVk

Bertie
Old July 17th 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

More_Flaps wrote:

Hmm, no engine in the truck?

It's in there. It's just that the radiator assembly is folded back on top
of it. You can see the air cleaner housing peaking out.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old July 17th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

It has to be the truck in the background!
No way an airplane is going to do that much damage unless it hit the truck
at very high speed and pretty much obliterated itself...

Nope. That's the one that the Mooney hit. A Mooney mechanic friend took
a look at the pics and he figures that it was a combination of the mass of
the engine, plus the sturdy steel cage in the Mooney.

BTW, the plane did hit the truck at a pretty high speed. He had firewalled
it to attempt a go-around about 500 ft. before impact. He was pretty close
to takeoff speed.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old July 17th 08, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

It has to be the truck in the background!
No way an airplane is going to do that much damage unless it hit the
truck at very high speed and pretty much obliterated itself...

Nope. That's the one that the Mooney hit. A Mooney mechanic
friend took
a look at the pics and he figures that it was a combination of the
mass of the engine, plus the sturdy steel cage in the Mooney.

BTW, the plane did hit the truck at a pretty high speed. He had
firewalled
it to attempt a go-around about 500 ft. before impact. He was pretty
close to takeoff speed.

Ah, OK. i hadn't expected the engine to have been part of the accident,
really. Even then, that's an amazing amount of damage. It's kind of the
equivelant of a beercan hitting a dumpster except for the engine. Amazing
the occupants of the Mooney weren't killed.

Bertie
Old July 17th 08, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Uli

JGalban via AviationKB.com wrote:

BTW, the plane did hit the truck at a pretty high speed. He had
firewalled
it to attempt a go-around about 500 ft. before impact. He was pretty
close to takeoff speed.

pretty late to decide for a go-arround on an uphill strip with trees at it's
end (i guess it's big cr). i'm not so sure if a mooney should be my first
choice for that kind of flying...

besides, i can only repeat what dean already said: don't fly the backcountry
without experience. flying, especially taking off and landing, is very
different from what most pilots are used to.

cheers,
uli

well, that was interesting Bob Noel Owning 1 April 2nd 07 09:10 PM
OT, but very interesting. Flyingmonk Piloting 11 January 16th 06 03:48 AM
interesting aluckyguess Piloting 11 October 27th 04 11:10 PM
interesting day to Catalina lance smith Piloting 2 February 10th 04 02:19 AM
Interesting? KP Piloting 0 February 5th 04 07:03 AM