GWB's piloting fun....

Old May 6th 04, 09:21 PM
B2431

From: "George Z. Bush"

snip

Just for the sake of accuracy, let's just concede that he WAS a
qualif............etc. instead of is. Spoken from experience, I guarantee
that
you can get pretty damned rusty after 30+ years out of the saddle. (^-^)))

George Z.

I have seen enlisted men in the right seat of KC-135s and C-130s in flight.
Flying right seat in calm weather with a qualified pilot in the left seat isn't
that hard. Having said that I have gotten slapped around in the boomer's
compartment when the right seater was flying so I guess the hard part is doing
it well.

In any event Bush was at one time a fully qualified interceptor pilot. I didn't
see anyone fuss when Clinton steered the big Navy boat. He can't claim to have
ever been qualified to do so. In both cases it was a courtesy extended to the
Commander in Chief.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old May 6th 04, 09:27 PM
Cub Driver

I wonder about your wondering. Are you really that big of a left wing
stooge? Flying is so easy even you could do it.

Indeed it is, if you don't have to land the thang or take it into
combat.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old May 6th 04, 09:28 PM
Cub Driver

qualified in a single-seat, single-engine operational jet?

He also has a single- and multi-engine "commercial" rating from the
FAA. www.warbirdforum.com/bushf102.htm

Old May 6th 04, 09:59 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 06 May 2004 16:28:50 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

qualified in a single-seat, single-engine operational jet?

He also has a single- and multi-engine "commercial" rating from the
FAA. www.warbirdforum.com/bushf102.htm

That's the "military competence" provision. If you receive a military
pilot rating, you can go down to the local FAA office and complete a
short exam on FARs. They give you a commercial rating single and
multi-engine (C/L thrust) and instrument rating. No check flights
required. If you can show a form five (or whatever the time log is
now) qualification in an airplane with separated engines they'll take
off the C/L limitation and even issue a type rating. I've got Convair
240/340/440 on mine since I was forced to checkout in the T-29.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old May 6th 04, 11:41 PM
OXMORON1

Ed wrote:
I've got Convair
240/340/440 on mine since I was forced to checkout in the T-29.

Ed,
Be thankful you got it the easy way. You could have gotten it on the old
Overland South, Mather-Tuolomne-Bakersfield-Kingman and back...6.1 hours
complete, three or four days a week!
You got to do it with the studly Wing wienies!

Rick
Old May 7th 04, 06:11 AM
John Keeney

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

It sounds as if he gave them a zero-G ride!

So how many people were in that airplane, anyhow?

Must have been awfully crowded.

My memory of the stories at the time is three.
The pilot, the President and one secret service guy.

Old May 7th 04, 07:05 AM
CallsignZippo

To bad George did not have the same fun dancing over downtown
Hanoi.Oops I forgot he was having fun defending the US of A from an
air attack from the Mexican Air Force. Well, I guess that's another
yarn for another day.

Well, I don't know about anyone else but I am sure as hell glad all
major combat operations are over in Iraq, I was worried we were going
to get in a real shooting war for a while.

More boots on the ole proverbial ground, hell we don;t need them, we
just have to hire some more private contractors, and the dead enders
and thugs will be gone in no time.

Lastly, after 911 the primary theatre of operations should have been
Afghanistan and the outlaw regions of Pakistan, not Iraq. Bin Laden
and his band of murders never (until recently) had a foothold in Iraq,
but they sure as hell, have one today, not only in Afghanistan but
Iraq as well.

How in the hell, do you invade and occupy the WRONG country.
Old May 7th 04, 11:27 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

George Z. Bush wrote:

Just for the sake of accuracy, let's just concede that he WAS a
qualif............etc. instead of is. Spoken from experience, I guarantee
that you can get pretty damned rusty after 30+ years out of the saddle.

I seem to recall a flight down to the Bahamas where I let an old USAF type
handle the controls for the first time in 20 years or more. Within just a
couple of minutes he was holding heading within 5 degrees and altitude within 50
feet. I will admit the resulting landing required getting the landing gear
serviced.

But straight and level flying? Must be like riding the proverbial bike...

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Old May 7th 04, 01:28 PM

[...]