Tiedowns at Parowan during Region 9

Old May 9th 04, 04:47 PM
Kirk Stant

Default Tiedowns at Parowan during Region 9

As I understand the latest Region 9 newsletter, the current plan is
for the majority of gliders at Parowan to rig/derig everyday.

To me, at least, this is unacceptable. Please, if this is what is
definitely going to happen, let me know ASAP so plans can be changed.

I really want to race at Parowan (having flown there before); and one
of the pleasures of a week of intense flying is just that - flying,
not rigging everyday. And I'm not thrilled about counting on "first
come, first served" for the few available paved tiedowns.

I realize ramp space will be at a premium, and if there is no other
realistic alternative I can live with that, but in that case I would
like to know it now so I can change my plans and let someone else
enjoy the contest. I really don't care where I have to tie down - up
at the north end, or in the "grass" on the side of the taxiway - it's
easy and quick to hook up a towbar and tow to the grid, and I will
bring my own tiedown stakes if needed.

I hope this can be resolved, I'm really looking forward to the race.

Kirk Stant
66
Old May 12th 04, 05:44 AM
clay thomas

(Kirk Stant) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Kirk,
I have seen some serious winds come through Parowan so putting it back
in the box is not a bad idea. If you have your own anchors, I am sure
you will have no trouble finding a place to tie down. I have heard
that the "screw in" anchors are fairly effective. Having said that,I
am sure there are several pilots that would be happy to take your
place!
Clay Thomas
Old May 12th 04, 07:14 PM
goneill

In the South Island of NZ when the wave systems really get pumping
no screw anchor is ever going to hold .
The system I have seen used is having two 4 inch long heavy wall pipe
welded to form a "x" with a steel u welded on for the tie down point.
Then 3 foot steel waratahs driven through each hole to just about full
depth, these waratahs with a loop welded on the end to help jack them
back out of the ground after use. Three are used to secure each aircraft.
They will hold just about anything down
gary
"Kirk Stant" wrote in message
om...
(clay thomas) wrote in message

. com...

I have seen some serious winds come through Parowan so putting it back
in the box is not a bad idea. If you have your own anchors, I am sure
you will have no trouble finding a place to tie down. I have heard
that the "screw in" anchors are fairly effective. Having said that,I
am sure there are several pilots that would be happy to take your
place!
Clay Thomas

Clay,

I've flown out of Parowan several times, staying for over a week at a
time; the times we had a storm blow in it would have been more
dangerous to try to derig vs tieing down - bit of a push there!

My concern is that from the tone of the newsletter, you would not have
the option to pick a place to tie out - the contest management
specifically reserves the right to make you move to comply with their
parking plan. And that is probably the only way to go if there are
limited tiedown spaces, otherwise how do you sort out who can and who
can't?

This is turning out to be a moot point for me anyway, as it looks like
other commitments are going to prevent me from going anyway. Bummer.

Kirk