Voltage, EDM-700, trim switch follow-up

Old September 28th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default Voltage, EDM-700, trim switch follow-up

I wish I could take credit...but can't as the shop at our home field did
the install. I sure like it though. I'd much rather have a hole
drilled through an inspection panel under the wing than through the side
of the fuselage.

Well, give them a pat on the back. It's a much nicer, sleeker,
cleaner installation than drilling a big, honkin' 5/8" hole in the
side of my plane!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 28th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

A wing mounting for the oat probe is good. I don't know what they
were thinking, but whoever installed mine (came with the plane) put it
under the belly where it catches engine exhaust. It's not seriously
in error except on the ground, but I may elect next annual to have it
moved.

Old September 29th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

A wing mounting for the oat probe is good. I don't know what they
were thinking, but whoever installed mine (came with the plane) put it
under the belly where it catches engine exhaust. It's not seriously
in error except on the ground, but I may elect next annual to have it
moved.

That must've been a bitch to install, too.

JPI called yesterday -- they'll have my EDM-700 repaired and in the
mail today.

They offered to update the unit's software and to install a USB output
(instead of the stupid phono jack) for "only" $268. When I balked at
that, they offered instead to sell me a "little black box" that has a
USB outlet in it, that I could plug into the stupid little phono jack,
for "only" $200.

I declined that, too. For a feature I've used twice in five years, I
figured that was pretty silly. Although I'd probably use it more if
it were "plug & play"...

And the correct landing light blinky thing is also on its way from
California. Maybe by this time next week we'll have everything
done...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 29th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article . com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

Today, we're installing the JPI outside air temperature probe that I
purchased last May. We're gonna install it like Jack Allison did,
out in the left under-wing inspection panel -- an elegant install
compared to the usual "drill a big hole through the side of the plane"
method that most people use. It means removing the pilot-side
interior panels -- a giant pain -- but in the end it'll be a lot
nicer.

I'm confused by the "drill a big hole through the side of the plane"
comment. When I installed the digital OAT probe in my cherokee
it was just a small hole above (and forward) of the fuel selector
valve. A little awkward to get at, but quick to do. And the probe
is about 1 1/4" long, so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old September 30th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:
[JPI] offered to update the unit's software and to install a USB output
(instead of the stupid phono jack) for "only" $268. When I balked at
that, they offered instead to sell me a "little black box" that has a
USB outlet in it, that I could plug into the stupid little phono jack,
for "only" $200.

I declined that, too. For a feature I've used twice in five years, I
figured that was pretty silly. Although I'd probably use it more if
it were "plug & play"...

If the phono jack is an RS-232 serial port, you can buy a USB-to-RS232
cable for about $20 online. Then you need an additional $10 worth of
parts and some soldering to make a cable to go from the DB-9 connector
on the USB-RS232 cable to a phono plug. The first time you use it'll be
"plug and pray" (i.e., require tweaking), but after that it should be
easy.

Disclaimer: This is based on experience with ground vehicles and
equipment. I don't have an A&P; I don't even have a TG&Y. Some of
this may not be allowable on a certificated aircraft. Your mileage
may vary.

Matt Roberds

Old September 30th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

The USB download is directly to a USB memory stick, not to a USB port on
a computer. This was actually the one thing I had planned on getting
while at OSH (I did get a good deal on the combination of adding fuel
flow and the USB download by going to OSH).

I got the internal USB download upgrade installed on mine, and I can
tell you it makes a huge huge huge difference. With the USB thingy, you
just plug a memory stick into the jack in your panel. The unit
automatically senses this and goes into program mode directly to the
DUMP ALL/NEW/N question. You push the selection wait for the download
to finish and then it says Wait USB for about 10 seconds and then goes
back to scan and you unplug the stick and throw it back into the flightbag.

The old download is indeed RS232, it comes out to one of those "power
jack" style barrel connector like many of the wall warts would plug
into, not a phone or phono jack. It's an oddball size too. I
originally went the route of the RS232-USB adapter plus the JPI serial
download cable. At first I was using my old Handspring Visor with a
special cable to download the data, but more often than not that didn't
work (I had to make an RS232 adapter that ran off a 9v battery that went
between the handspring interface cable and the JPI download cable). I
also lost data several times because of the handspring.

I later started using my Sony VAIO T350 laptop for the download via one
of those USB to serial port adapters connected to the JPI download
cable. That set up cost me many hours of frustration, because before I
could even start a download I needed to wrestle with Windows XP to get
it to recognize the USB serial adapter, which often took a half hour or
more to do, plus I had to have my laptop with me in order to do the
download in the first place. Before JPI came out with the USB memory
stick download, I had actually considered building something very similar.

I have the recorded data from nearly every hour my engine has run since
its overhaul in 2003 (there were 2 or 3 gaps where I didn't download
data before the memory got full...mostly because of the hassle). Having
that data paid off in a big way when I had the cam go bad in 2005 at 178
hours, after the warranty on the overhaul had expired. With the data, I
was able to show that the engine had been run regularly and had not been
abused. Because I had that data, the engine shop covered the total cost
of teardown and rebuild of the engine with a new cam, new lifters, new
bearings throughout, honed cylinders and new rings, and an exchange
crank case (it was fretting). That would have been a $12K bill had I not
had the JPI data. That data is worth a lot of money when you have a
problem, even if it is just for diagnosing the engine. The recent
history can tell you a lot about a problem.

Anyway, my point is, that USB upgrade was worth every penny when I
consider the convenience now using the dedicated USB memory stick that
lives in my flight bag vs. having to haul my laptop out to the plane
with me and then wresting windows every time to get a successful
download. I chose the internal one because I was done with adapter
cables. Plugging the stick into the panel is a great way to go. I'm
glad I did it.

Voltage variation Jay Honeck Owning 18 October 3rd 07 09:05 PM
Electric trim switch -- source? Jay Honeck Owning 19 August 1st 07 02:06 AM
Mooney Low Voltage [email protected] Owning 22 August 1st 05 01:01 PM
FA: 12V to 24V DC voltage converter Karl Geng, N1DL Home Built 2 April 21st 05 08:48 PM
Remote Switch for Pointer ELT --- Why Does It Need Voltage? jls Home Built 1 November 22nd 04 09:13 PM