Autocontrol IIIB

Old October 21st 03, 06:24 PM
PaulaJay1

Default Autocontrol IIIB

I have the original Autocontrol IIIB in my 79 Archer. Lately it has been
flying one dot to the right of course when in GPS/NAV mode. I've set the CDI
scale to 1.0nm full scale on the GPS so the error is only about 0.2 nm. If I
set the heading but to the right a little, we fly right down the line. This
says to me that the autopilot is putting out a small bias to the left that the
GPS/NAV has to constantly correct. Is there a simple adjustment in the
autopilot to correct this? Maybe I should just vent to the newsgroup and leave
good enough alone!

Chuck
Old October 21st 03, 07:33 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
PaulaJay1 wrote:

I have the original Autocontrol IIIB in my 79 Archer. Lately it has been
flying one dot to the right of course when in GPS/NAV mode.

Wild guess: Is your rudder trim set right?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 21st 03, 11:47 PM

On 21-Oct-2003, (PaulaJay1) wrote:

I have the original Autocontrol IIIB in my 79 Archer. Lately it has been
flying one dot to the right of course when in GPS/NAV mode. I've set the
CDI scale to 1.0nm full scale on the GPS so the error is only about 0.2
nm.
If I set the heading but to the right a little, we fly right down the
line.
This says to me that the autopilot is putting out a small bias to the left
that
the GPS/NAV has to constantly correct. Is there a simple adjustment in
the
autopilot to correct this? Maybe I should just vent to the newsgroup and
leave good enough alone!

We have an Autocontrol IIIB in our '79 Arrow but it is not coupled to a GPS,
just CDIs for the two VOR/LOC receivers. My understanding of the
Autocontrol IIIB nav coupling is that it steers to capture and center the
CDI, using the heading bug on the DG as a reference for direction (and
correcting with a "crab angle" as necessary to intercept and hold course as
defined by the CDI). Assuming it works the same way coupled to a GPS-driven
CDI, it seems that what you are saying is that your Autocontrol IIIB wants
to track with the needle slightly off center. This I understand. It could
be due to a maladjustment in the CDI or in the Autocontrol IIIB. You can
probably determine which by seeing if the same thing happens when tracking
on a VOR radial and/or when coupled to a second CDI (if you have one).
Actually, from your post I infer that you have verified CDI accuracy against
aircraft position as shown on a moving map display. That would point to the
A/P as the culprit. But then you say that if you "set the heading but to
the right a little" you fly "right down the line". Do you mean that you are
slightly adjusting the DG's heading bug? This really shouldn't make a
difference, because to the autopilot this should just appear as a slight
change in the crosswind component.

One other thing: In our plane, the A/P mode switch has been a bit flaky in
that it stays in HDG (track heading bug) mode when we think we have switched
to NAV (track CDI) mode. It's easy to check when using a VOR by spinning
the OBS and seeing if the airplane rolls in response to the CDI needle
movement.

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old October 22nd 03, 06:45 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , "James M. Knox"
writes:

The only IIIB adjustment for "centering" is probably not relevant. Set the
IIIB in HDG mode (no NAV tracking). Does it track with the DG heading bug
under the lubber line? If so, it's adjusted properly.

Interesting. I've not looked at the heading bug tracking that closely. I'll
look next time and see if the heading but is on the lubber line or off to the
right a little.

Chuck
Old October 22nd 03, 06:45 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , "James M. Knox"
writes:

. Maybe I should just vent to the newsgroup and leave
good enough alone!

That's all it's off! Heck, you may have one of the best units out there!

Old October 22nd 03, 11:34 PM
Jeff

Are you in GPS or NAV mode?
GPS - the CDI would be reading the GPS course
NAV - it would be reading what you had your OBS set to and your NAV receiver set to
the freq of the navaid
what GPS/ NAV do you have, the garmin 430 and the NAV that you can get with it?

I know that when I am having my auto pilot track a VOR it may be off by a dot
sometimes, this is basically because the VOR is not that sensitive when your a ways
from it. But when I shoot a localizer, the AP tracks it perfect. Have you tried
tracking a localizer with your AP ?

Jeff

Old October 23rd 03, 01:29 AM
PaulaJay1

In article , Jeff writes:

Are you in GPS or NAV mode?
GPS - the CDI would be reading the GPS course
NAV - it would be reading what you had your OBS set to and your NAV receiver
set to
the freq of the navaid
what GPS/ NAV do you have, the garmin 430 and the NAV that you can get with
it?

I know that when I am having my auto pilot track a VOR it may be off by a dot
sometimes, this is basically because the VOR is not that sensitive when your
a ways
from it. But when I shoot a localizer, the AP tracks it perfect. Have you
tried
tracking a localizer with your AP ?

When I am flying a GPS course (with the garmin 430) straight and narrow, the
CDI is constantly about one dot to the left. Same for an ILS, though the
Garmin goes into approach mode and the full scale CDI is 0.2 nm. Thus the
"error" is only a couple hundred feet. I generally fly the last part of the
approach so, no problem at all.

I've decided to take the advice of several and leave it alone and say that it
is the nature of the beast. Thanks to all for the comments.

Chuck