Removing old antennas

Old March 18th 04, 01:02 PM
Stu Gotts

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:46:28 -0800, Jim Weir wrote:

Oh, Christ. Here we go again...

Jim

That's EXACTLY (word for word) what my response was going to be!

Old March 18th 04, 02:23 PM
Nathan Young

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 02:21:03 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Is it worth the bother?

We're coming up on our annual inspection in May, and there are at least four
antennas on our bird that do nothing. I'll bet there's a few feet of cable
going to each one, too.

Does removing an antenna net you any extra speed, or is it mainly a weight
reduction thing?

You will probably gain 1-2mph for removing all 4 antennas.

My question: What are the antennas?

-Nathan

Old March 18th 04, 04:10 PM
Jay Honeck

My question: What are the antennas?

A previous owner (2 owners ago, a guy I know well) had installed a complete
glass panel -- one of the first anyone had seen.

Well, okay, it wasn't a "complete" glass panel, like the new Garmin G1000,
but it was as close as you could get five years ago. Multi-function
display, up-linked weather, the whole nine yards.

When he bought his awesome Comanche 400, he took all those goodies with
him... :-(

In typical aviation fashion, the shop disconnected the wires and left the
antennas.

So, on top I've got an Apollo antenna (GPS, I presume), and two Com antennas
that appear to go no where. On the bottom I've got several unidentified
antennas that can probably go, too.

I'll have to dig around some more at the annual to see what goes where.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 18th 04, 04:48 PM
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
So, on top I've got an Apollo antenna (GPS, I presume), and two Com antennas
that appear to go no where. On the bottom I've got several unidentified
antennas that can probably go, too.

If the Apollo antenna looks like a comm antenna, then it's probably an
Apollo loran antenna. A GPS antenna would look like a thin disk. One
thing you might want to consider is keeping one of the extra comm antennas
and use it for your handheld comm. In an emergency, it would work a lot
better than the rubber duck. I keep meaning to install the extra comm
antenna I bought years ago, for that purpose.

--- Jay

--

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old March 18th 04, 05:29 PM
kage

"the whole nine yards"
Jay. Do you know where that aviation saying came from?

Karl

Old March 18th 04, 05:33 PM
Jay Honeck

If the Apollo antenna looks like a comm antenna, then it's probably an
Apollo loran antenna. A GPS antenna would look like a thin disk. One
thing you might want to consider is keeping one of the extra comm antennas
and use it for your handheld comm. In an emergency, it would work a lot
better than the rubber duck. I keep meaning to install the extra comm
antenna I bought years ago, for that purpose.

Good ideas. And you're right -- the Apollo is probably a loran antenna.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 18th 04, 05:34 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

In typical aviation fashion, the shop disconnected the wires and left the
antennas.

Jay, what you really want to do is find out what goodies he had in there, buy
all of them, and hook the antennae back up. :-)

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 18th 04, 05:35 PM
G.R. Patterson III

kage wrote:

"the whole nine yards"
Jay. Do you know where that aviation saying came from?

Supposedly the ammo belt for a WWI machine gun was this long. So if you fired
at a target until you ran out of ammo, you gave it the whole nine yards.

Old March 18th 04, 06:05 PM
Ben Jackson

In article Y3l6c.35073$1p.540919@attbi_s54,
Jay Honeck wrote:

Good ideas. And you're right -- the Apollo is probably a loran antenna.

They make a GPS antenna with the same footprint for LORAN-GPS upgrades.
If you need a GPS antenna it's nicer than a patch, and the same price as
the regular ones (ie shockingly expensive).

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old March 18th 04, 07:03 PM
Javier Gorordo

Ron Wanttaja wrote
snip
"Scab patches"? I just bought one of the little 99 cent steel hole plugs

snip

Wouldn't a steel plug used in an aluminum base be a potential source
of galvanic corrosion?
Hope there's plenty of paint between the dissimilar metals and better
yet, that the plugs are made of stainless steel or, at least, have
been passivated.

Regards,

Javier

Removing water repelent from fiberglass lay-up? Roger Home Built 2 December 2nd 04 11:15 PM
Do ADF antennas need replacing if changing the receiver? [email protected] Owning 5 December 11th 03 10:13 PM
Choice of Paint for use over Copper foil Antennas Charlie Precourt Home Built 1 December 2nd 03 02:51 AM
Hidden Antennas Dick Goff Home Built 2 August 20th 03 05:23 PM
F-14 squadrons removing refueling cover plate? dave999 Military Aviation 7 August 6th 03 09:45 AM