Cobra Trailer brakes

Old July 14th 04, 04:51 PM
Chip Bearden

The bearings and seals are off-the-shelf parts that a good bearing or
auto parts supplier should be able to get for you. I carry a spare set
in the front of my trailer just in case. From experience, it can be
difficult to find them on Sunday evening...in a small town...in
eastern Tennessee.

The bearing numbers are stamped on the races. Not sure about the
seals; I might have had to take one in for the supplier to match up.

I had something similar occur on a Komet trailer years ago. The
bracket welded to the front of the tongue (just before it exits the
front of the trailer) broke, allowing the trailer to settle onto the
brake actuating rod. The bolts at the rear of the tongue kept
everything connected but it jammed the surge brake on.

A bearded, southern good ole' boy pulled up beside us on the freeway
in North Carolina in a tricked out van and pointed back at the
trailer, which had smoke pouring from the hubs. He helped me lash a
chain around the tongue and front crossmember which allowed me to limp
into a nearby town for a quick repair.

Lesson learned: Surprisingly, he knew it was a glider trailer. As he
ferried me to the local Kmart to buy some chain, I was giving him the
"how gliders fly without an engine, kindergarten version" speech when
he allowed that he had just had a ride in a glider, a Grobee (sic).

"It was last week; I've got some pictures here." At which point he
pulled out a packet of prints with him climbing into and out of a Twin
Grob at a nearby commercial operation!

He refused any compensation for ferrying me around and being late for
dinner, but I signed him up as an SSA member when I got home.

Chip Bearden

J.J.
I know you were trying to make light of the situation and I didn't
take the comment ofensivly. I found a brake shop in Riverside that
will turn the drums reline the shoes, they have the seals in metric.
They havn't located a perfect match for the return springs yet, close
but not exact. The bearings were in good shape not blued or chipped
and the same with the races. I'll look closer tomorrow. In the
meantime I've been watching awsome Q's and lenticular clouds over the
Big Bear and San Gabriels and can't get the trailer to roll!!
Russ

Old July 14th 04, 11:51 PM
bart w

Sounds to me like it would be a good practice to secure the brake
handle in the down position by some means while hooked up. Mine does
pull up rather easily and I'd hate to find out there's a problem by
some fellow honking and gesturing from the next lane!

2NO
Old July 15th 04, 12:02 AM
Eric Greenwell

bart w wrote:
Sounds to me like it would be a good practice to secure the brake
handle in the down position by some means while hooked up. Mine does
pull up rather easily and I'd hate to find out there's a problem by
some fellow honking and gesturing from the next lane!

Does it use a gas cylinder on the handle? Perhaps it needs to be replaced.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old July 15th 04, 04:48 AM
Eric Greenwell

Tom Serkowski wrote:

In the US, chains are required to attach the trailer to the tow
vehicle. I have the chains a bit longer than the brake actuation
cable, so if the hitch comes off the ball, the cable will actuate the
brake, and the chains will keep the brakes-on trailer attached to the
vehicle.

That sounds like a good plan, especially since many/most US folks have
inadequate chains. Until you've seen a trailer connected to the tow
vehicle by only the chains, you have no idea how violent the swerving
and bucking can be. Having the brakes applied should dampen it considerably.

Has anyone had a trailer come off the ball while hooked up like Tom
describes, and how did it work out?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old July 15th 04, 06:33 AM
Andy Blackburn

I use the same setup, but have elected to satisfy myself
with theoretical rather than empirical proof.

9B

--
Change 'netto' to 'net' to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old July 15th 04, 03:38 PM
bart w

On the subject of the safety chains, I've noticed that the metal tab
attached to the front underside of the trailer that anchors one end of
the chain doesn't appear to be that strong. It looks to me like if
the trailer came off the ball, the chain would yank that tab right off
the trailer...
Old July 15th 04, 05:19 PM
Paul Repacholi

Eric Greenwell writes:

That sounds like a good plan, especially since many/most US folks
have inadequate chains. Until you've seen a trailer connected to the
tow vehicle by only the chains, you have no idea how violent the
swerving and bucking can be. Having the brakes applied should dampen
it considerably.

Has anyone had a trailer come off the ball while hooked up like Tom
describes, and how did it work out?

You cross the chains over. Left chain to right shakle on the tow bar,
and visa versa. This keeps the trailer centred when it comes off the
tow ball. Bit of noise, and slow down *SLOWLY*. You dont want your
trailer chewing on the boot!

If you rub the chains straight, it can whip around like a demeted dog!

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

Cobra Trailer Axel Replacement Carter Soaring 7 July 7th 04 02:06 PM
Cobra Trailer Question Deputy Dog Soaring 7 January 3rd 04 03:11 PM
Trailer brakes Bert Willing Soaring 1 October 31st 03 07:55 AM
Cobra Trailer Soaring 1 September 28th 03 01:14 PM
Cobra trailer fittings for different glider makes & models John W Soaring 4 September 24th 03 03:21 PM