How to file for practice appch at a military base?

Old July 7th 04, 06:18 AM
Yossarian

Default How to file for practice appch at a military base?

I'm planning my 250 nm XC for my instrument rating and would like to do a
PAR approach at Pt. Mugu naval airfield (NTD) in CA on my way back from San
Luis Obispo. How would I file that? I will be coming down V25, should I
expect the IAF to be VTU? Is there any way to indicate in the flight plan
that I would like a practice approach there on my way back to Hawthorne?
Perhaps "PRAC APPCH NTD" in the remarks section?
Old July 7th 04, 12:40 PM
John T

"Yossarian" wrote in message
. 97.142

I'm planning my 250 nm XC for my instrument rating and would like to
do a PAR approach at Pt. Mugu naval airfield (NTD) in CA on my way
back from San Luis Obispo. How would I file that? I will be coming
down V25, should I expect the IAF to be VTU? Is there any way to
indicate in the flight plan that I would like a practice approach
there on my way back to Hawthorne? Perhaps "PRAC APPCH NTD" in the
remarks section?

I'd think (especially post-9/11) that you'd want to call Pt. Mugu prior to
even planning the approach. If you get their permission, then I'd recommend
filing NTD as a waypoint on your route with "PLA NTD" in the remarks section
(with "PLA" being understood to be "practice low approaches").

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old July 7th 04, 12:49 PM
Dave Butler

Yossarian wrote:
I'm planning my 250 nm XC for my instrument rating and would like to do a
PAR approach at Pt. Mugu naval airfield (NTD) in CA on my way back from San
Luis Obispo. How would I file that? I will be coming down V25, should I
expect the IAF to be VTU? Is there any way to indicate in the flight plan
that I would like a practice approach there on my way back to Hawthorne?
Perhaps "PRAC APPCH NTD" in the remarks section?

You don't need anything in the flight plan. If the approach is approved, it will
be just negotiated on the fly with whatever controller you're talking to.

N1234: "we'd like to get a practice PAR approach at Point Mugu"

If you want, you can put "PLA NTD" in the remarks section. PLA is "practice low
approach". This won't result in any ATC action, though, unless you specifically
request it.

Old July 7th 04, 03:05 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Yossarian wrote in
. 97.142:

I'm planning my 250 nm XC for my instrument rating and would like to
do a PAR approach at Pt. Mugu naval airfield (NTD) in CA on my way
back from San Luis Obispo. How would I file that? I will be coming
down V25, should I expect the IAF to be VTU? Is there any way to
indicate in the flight plan that I would like a practice approach
there on my way back to Hawthorne? Perhaps "PRAC APPCH NTD" in the
remarks section?

As someone else indicated, calling ahead of time is a good idea, not only
for post-9/11 consideration, but also to make sure that they have the
staffing necessary for the PAR approach. I do ASR approaches into civilian
airports, and I always call ahead on the phone to make sure they will be
able to accomodate the request.
Old July 7th 04, 03:52 PM
C J Campbell

Don't worry about 9/11. The military knows that terrorists don't request
practice approaches.

You are supposed to have at least a written description of the approach.

Some military bases are more accomodating than others; it never hurts to
ask. It does not help to put anything in the remarks. If the base does PAR
approaches, they will have the staffing for it whether you call ahead or
not. The only issues are the local base policy (base commanders tend to be
more worried about liability than terrorism) and workload.

Old July 7th 04, 05:53 PM
Robert M. Gary

Yossarian wrote in message .97.142...
I'm planning my 250 nm XC for my instrument rating and would like to do a
PAR approach at Pt. Mugu naval airfield (NTD) in CA on my way back from San
Luis Obispo. How would I file that? I will be coming down V25, should I
expect the IAF to be VTU? Is there any way to indicate in the flight plan
that I would like a practice approach there on my way back to Hawthorne?

Whenever you are going to a semi-busy airport, don't worry about
filing all the way to the IAF, just to the general area. You'll always
get vectors anyway.

Perhaps "PRAC APPCH NTD" in the remarks section?

You can put anything you want in the remarks and ATC will see it
(unlike a VFR flight plan).
Old July 7th 04, 06:07 PM
Lee Elson

Yossarian wrote in message .97.142...
I'm planning my 250 nm XC for my instrument rating and would like to do a
PAR approach at Pt. Mugu naval airfield (NTD) in CA on my way back from San
Luis Obispo. How would I file that? I will be coming down V25, should I
expect the IAF to be VTU? Is there any way to indicate in the flight plan
that I would like a practice approach there on my way back to Hawthorne?
Perhaps "PRAC APPCH NTD" in the remarks section?

Awhile back, I asked Mugu Approach about doing a PAR. They said it
wasn't possible. I think it was due to lack of staffing. This was on a
weekend but I wouldn't be surprised if they won't allow it during the
week either.

Lee Elson
Old July 7th 04, 09:04 PM
Bob Gardner

You are going to get a clearance to the airport, no matter what you file.
Filing to an IAF is not necessary, IMHO. Comm failure is an emergency
situation, opening the door to doing whatever you want to do under the PIC
privilege.

Bob Gardner

"zatatime" wrote in message
On 7 Jul 2004 09:53:20 -0700, (Robert M. Gary)
wrote:

Whenever you are going to a semi-busy airport, don't worry about
filing all the way to the IAF, just to the general area. You'll always
get vectors anyway.

What do you when you get to the "general area" while experiencing a
comm failure?

Planning to the IAF gives you procedures to follow if this were to
happen and all parties involved will know what to expect.

Old July 7th 04, 11:34 PM
John Clonts

"KP" wrote in message
Lee Elson wrote in message
. ..
Awhile back, I asked Mugu Approach about doing a PAR. They said it
wasn't possible. I think it was due to lack of staffing. This was on a
weekend but I wouldn't be surprised if they won't allow it during the
week either.

The first thing to go when it comes to staffing is PAR.

Weekends, holidays, mids, down days, and any other time the wing isn't
flying it's a pretty safe bet PAR won't be available. Hours should be
published.

Conversely, if the wing is flying there's very likely to be dual PAR
coverage (ie, staffing for two simultaneous PARs). Then if you get turned
down it will be due to traffic or base policy.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained

I've done several PAR's at Gray Army Airfield (KGRK). Have never been
turned down.

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas