Autopilot PIREPS

Old September 27th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
pgbnh

Default Autopilot PIREPS

My partner and I have decided it is time to upgrade the old 'wing-leveller'
autopilot (Century I) to a real autopilot. We will likely be looking for
either 2 or 3 axis (altitude would be nice, but we need to factor in cost)
and will couple it to the Garmin 530. AP to be installed in a Beech Sierra

So, some questions:
What is your favorite AP
Thoughts on 2 v 3 axis
Features to look for
Brands to avoid

Old September 27th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Pgbnh,

What is your favorite AP

S-TEC. Hard to find more cost-efficient retrofits. The 20/30 (if panel
space is an issue, those are completely contained in a turn
coordinator) or the 40/50 come to mind.

Thoughts on 2 v 3 axis

Let's properly define it first:
1 axis is wing levelling including possibly NAV and GPS tracking and
possibly intercepts of desired tracks/radials. This mostly includes
following localizers in an "approach mode".
2 axis includes altitude hold.
3 axis means an additional yaw damper for some, and altitude preselect
and capturing for others. THe latter mostly includes the ability to
follow glide slopes.

You probably don't want more than 2-axis

Features to look for

Well, with a 530, you'll want GPSS. That's GPS roll steering and means
that the GPS drives the autopilot in a more efficient way than just
like a CDI. That will give you turn anticipation and other neat stuff.

Also, you'll need to be aware of the difference between rate-based and
attitude-based autopilots. Most rate-based APs operate with electric
turn coordinators. This means they will continue working when your
vacuum system or your AI fail. Which some (myself included) consider an
important safety feature.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 27th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

pgbnh wrote:
My partner and I have decided it is time to upgrade the old 'wing-leveller'
autopilot (Century I) to a real autopilot. We will likely be looking for
either 2 or 3 axis (altitude would be nice, but we need to factor in cost)
and will couple it to the Garmin 530. AP to be installed in a Beech Sierra

So, some questions:
What is your favorite AP
Thoughts on 2 v 3 axis
Features to look for
Brands to avoid

My S-TEC 55X is a blast coupled with the GNS480 autopilot.
It's two axis. A reasonably stable airplane doesn't need the
third axis, but it is available if you want it.

GPSS is a must.
Being able to couple the approach is handy.
Old September 28th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke[_2_]

"pgbnh" wrote :
My partner and I have decided it is time to upgrade the old 'wing-leveller'
autopilot (Century I) to a real autopilot. We will likely be looking for
either 2 or 3 axis (altitude would be nice, but we need to factor in cost)

Few APs are 3-axis (pitch, roll and yaw).

and will couple it to the Garmin 530. AP to be installed in a Beech Sierra

So, some questions:
What is your favorite AP

S-Tec

Thoughts on 2 v 3 axis

I think you mean 1 (roll only) vs. 2 (roll & pitch). Definitely go for 2.

Features to look for

GPSS, altitude hold.

Altitude preselect & glideslope capture cost a lot more but are very nice to
have.

Brands to avoid

The only real choice nowdays is S-Tec.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old September 28th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

On Sep 27, 12:07 pm, "pgbnh" wrote:
My partner and I have decided it is time to upgrade the old 'wing-leveller'
autopilot (Century I) to a real autopilot. We will likely be looking for
either 2 or 3 axis (altitude would be nice, but we need to factor in cost)
and will couple it to the Garmin 530. AP to be installed in a Beech Sierra

So, some questions:
What is your favorite AP
Thoughts on 2 v 3 axis
Features to look for
Brands to avoid

I have the Stec 30 (roll and pitch with alt hold) and combined with
the new Garmin 430W its performance is absolutely awesome. Rock
steady, flies complete GPS approaches. You are responsible for
altitude changes and glideslope. There's a huge cost difference if
you also want it to fly the slope.

Old September 28th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Can the glideslope tracking be added as an option or does that involve some
tearout and throwaway if you don't purchase the feature during original
install?

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 1st 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Jim Carter wrote:
Can the glideslope tracking be added as an option or does that involve some
tearout and throwaway if you don't purchase the feature during original
install?

Not an option for the 30. The 55X will fly both ILS's (LOC & GS) and
the WAAS glideslopes. If you were to upgrade, I don't know how much
of the original installation is recyclable. You would think that
the servos ought to be in common.

Chelton EFIS: any PIREPS? Kai Glaesner Instrument Flight Rules 3 December 27th 05 12:56 PM
Sun N Fun PIREPS? Jay Honeck Piloting 16 April 26th 05 05:27 PM
Sun N Fun Pireps? Jay Honeck Piloting 1 April 13th 05 02:10 AM
Pireps on Avionics Robbie S. Owning 19 March 13th 05 04:26 PM
PIREPS / airliners [email protected] Piloting 10 January 21st 05 11:15 PM