FS: ECCENTRIC ASSEMBLY TOOLs

Old March 17th 13, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default FS: ECCENTRIC ASSEMBLY TOOLs

On 3/17/2013 4:47 PM, SteveB_Z5 wrote:
I agree this kind of tool is useful when one-man rigging, and this

Chip, My first 2 gliders both had levers for assembly (Jantar and
Libelle) and I can't understand why more manufacturers don't use this
method. The tools I make are made from Delrin to be nice to the spar
bushings. The tool also protects the bushings from the wear of using
the wing pins to bring the bushings into alinement. One would work
quite well on your -24.

I have used a steel eccentric tool (I like the Delrin idea better),
which did a nice job of pulling the wings together; however, my
experience on both an ASW 20 C (1500 hours, about 400 riggings) and an
ASH 26 E (3400 hours, about 700 riggings), is the wing pins don't wear
out the bushings. No discernible wear, in fact.

email me)
Old March 18th 13, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:56:51 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 3/17/2013 4:47 PM, SteveB_Z5 wrote:

I agree this kind of tool is useful when one-man rigging, and this

Chip, My first 2 gliders both had levers for assembly (Jantar and

Libelle) and I can't understand why more manufacturers don't use this

method. The tools I make are made from Delrin to be nice to the spar

bushings. The tool also protects the bushings from the wear of using

the wing pins to bring the bushings into alinement. One would work

quite well on your -24.

I have used a steel eccentric tool (I like the Delrin idea better),

which did a nice job of pulling the wings together; however, my

experience on both an ASW 20 C (1500 hours, about 400 riggings) and an

ASH 26 E (3400 hours, about 700 riggings), is the wing pins don't wear

out the bushings. No discernible wear, in fact.

email me)

Don't underestimate the importance of a good, preferably synthetic grease when assembling any glider. A couple of years ago my tie-down neighbor showed up with his brand-new ASG-29. We just about killed ourselves a couple of times trying to get the heavy inner wings on until I gave him my Super Lube synthetic grease (what a name!). He did have the undersized main pin from Schleicher to align the wings but that still didn't help much.
Super Lube to the rescue, don't go to the glider club without it!
Old March 18th 13, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My Mosquito, back in the 80s, came with an assembly lever like the Libelle.
I have a friend with a Mini Nimbus (same wing) and it has no such
capability. When he got the glider, part of the kit was a tire iron with
the sharp end dipped in the tool handle rubber stuff to soften it a bit.
The theory was to put that through the main pin bushings to pull the wings
together. I wonder why Shempp-Hirth copied the wings and not the assembly
method.

Old March 18th 13, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Friday, March 15, 2013 12:21:40 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
On Friday, March 15, 2013 5:40:00 AM UTC-7, Tony wrote: Round is a shape And nobody mentioned the nickname that (as far as I know) Captain Kurt Staubach came up with. Jim

JS, Maybe the Aussies can make a super lube product for wing pins? Maybe call it "Assemble, You *******!"

Steve
(Jim told me they make a fabulous starter fluid for engines called "Start, You *******!")
Old March 18th 13, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Monday, March 18, 2013 11:01:42 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
I wonder why Shempp-Hirth copied the wings and not the assembly

method.

They have "Templins" at the Schempp Hirth Factory, so no problem!

T8
Old March 19th 13, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_4_]

Of course the Aussies have a fabulous spray for such events...
http://www.inoxed.net/MX4.htm
Lanox contains Lanolin, made from sheep parts. Things just slip together if properly cleaned and lubed with this stuff. There's plenty of lanolin in Oz since sheep farming is big down there. I own / owned Cobra assembly tools but not used them with lanolin.
Lanox still can't top the starter fluid... What else would you yell at the engine?
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Aer.../#.UUfn-642d8E
There was a can (for entertainment value) in VJS trailer before shipping it Sydney to Long Beach, but I was advised not to ship something as flammable as ether.
Jim

Old March 22nd 13, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Monday, March 18, 2013 6:08:25 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Don't underestimate the importance of a good, preferably synthetic grease when assembling any glider. A couple of years ago my tie-down neighbor showed up with his brand-new ASG-29. We just about killed ourselves a couple of times trying to get the heavy inner wings on until I gave him my Super Lube synthetic grease (what a name!). He did have the undersized main pin from Schleicher to align the wings but that still didn't help much.

Super Lube to the rescue, don't go to the glider club without it!

Super Lube is one of my favorites too, good for almost everything . . . with one exception. Don't even consider trying it on THAT!

bumper

Old March 22nd 13, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Friday, March 22, 2013 12:41:19 AM UTC-4, bumper wrote:
Super Lube is one of my favorites too, good for almost everything
. . . with one exception. Don't even consider trying it on THAT!

bumper

Oh My Goodness. This sounds like the voice of experience.
Bumper, we know how much you love your tools and potions,
but please tell us you didn't try this...