Vertex VXA-150 Pro V handheld radio question

Old April 23rd 04, 08:04 PM
Alan Meyer

Default Vertex VXA-150 Pro V handheld radio question

I just got a new Vertex VXA-150 handheld transceiver and wonder
if anyone else who has one can answer a question for me.

I programmed in two frequencies and set the radio for "dual
scan" The secondary frequency was very active, but it was
difficult to hear on dual scan. The broadcast was interrupted
every second or so with a short burst of static hiss. It sounded
like the radio was frequently re-tuning itself to the primary band,
listening, playing the static it found there, and then switching back.

Does anyone know if that is the expected behavior? Or is
my radio defective and in need of repair?

If it's expected, I'll keep the radio anyway since I like the
size, sound, other features and price. But if this can be
fixed, I'd like to get it fixed.

Thanks.

Old April 24th 04, 10:45 AM
Scott

I don't own one of those radios, but it does sound like maybe you have
some sort of "priority scan" enabled. In priority scan, the radio will
shift to the frequency you have programmed in the priority channel (or
if you didn't programm one in, the Yaesu default frequency will be in
there) at some regular interval, even if you are stopped on an active
channel that is not the priority channel. Check in the instruction
manual for info on setting up the priority channel...

Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Building RV-4
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Old April 24th 04, 01:42 PM
Alan Meyer

Scott,

I think that indeed, what you describe is what's happening. I presume it's
normal and expected. It makes the dual scan feature less useful than I had
expected it to be. Ideally I would like the radio to be able to detect that
there is no signal on the priority channel without having to audibly
interrupt the secondary channel every second but, it ain't an ideal world
and the price on the radio was right.

Thanks.

Alan