Very OT - Jack-booted storm troopers

Old January 7th 04, 05:19 PM
Rich S.

Default Very OT - Jack-booted storm troopers

Sorry about this - I just had to get it out.

Yesterday was the first meaningful snow we have had in the Puget Sound area
for quite a few years. Kids have grown up without knowing for whatinthehell
a sled was used. Lord, did it come down! Large chunks of the working class
stayed home to avoid playing bumper cars, to tend their kids (since many
schools were closed), and just to enjoy a taste of winter.

One of the steep, long hills in Seattle was closed to auto traffic early in
the storm. Before long, several hundred people had brought out their sleds,
saucers, inner tubes and snowboards and turned Queen Anne Avenue into a good
old-fashioned sledding hill and half-mile long block party. As may be
expected, after a few hours a sled veered off the hill and went splat into
something or other. One of the riders broke her arm and the Aid Car was
called.

You guessed it. The next thing to happen was the arrival of the Seattle
Police. The news reports went something like, "The unruly crowd was
dispersed by the heroic actions of the outnumbered police". "Several people
resisted but were subdued and booked for failure to comply with lawful
orders." This was accompanied by video of a citizen apparently (and loudly)
asking an officer what authority he had to run citizens off a closed street,
whereupon this heretic was taken down, handcuffed, frisked and shoved into a
patrol car.

And then they wonder why the city government, bureaucracy, and police are
despised by many residents. I moved out when I was told the city had denied
a permit to hold a parade in honor of the returning Gulf War troops.
Instead, a permit was issued for the annual Gay Parade. The Mayor and Chief
of Police joined the celebration and marched along.

Rich S.

Old January 7th 04, 05:56 PM
C J Campbell

People were allowed to sled all day on Queen Anne hill. Although the road
was closed, it crossed several cross streets, some of them very busy.
Although there are stoplights at each of these intersections, it is obvious
that sledders, skiers, snowboarders, snowmobiles, and all the rest were not
going to pay the slightest attention to them. Several sledders were nearly
hit by cars on Mercer Way. The police closed down the sledding at dusk,
believing that it was too dangerous for the winter recreation activity to
continue at night.

As is typical in Seattle, when the police tried to close down the hill, the
crowd started to riot. No doubt Rich S. would have been the first to try to
sue the city if he had gotten run over by a car in the dark.

Old January 7th 04, 06:11 PM
nafod40

C J Campbell wrote:

As is typical in Seattle, when the police tried to close down the hill, the
crowd started to riot. No doubt Rich S. would have been the first to try to
sue the city if he had gotten run over by a car in the dark.

I wonder who the driver would have been...

Old January 7th 04, 06:15 PM
RU ok

"C J Campbell" quacked:

People were allowed to sled all day on Queen Anne hill. Although the road
was closed, it crossed several cross streets, some of them very busy.
Although there are stoplights at each of these intersections, it is obvious
that sledders, skiers, snowboarders, snowmobiles, and all the rest were not
going to pay the slightest attention to them. Several sledders were nearly
hit by cars on Mercer Way. The police closed down the sledding at dusk,
believing that it was too dangerous for the winter recreation activity to
continue at night.

As is typical in Seattle, when the police tried to close down the hill, the
crowd started to riot. No doubt Rich S. would have been the first to try to
sue the city if he had gotten run over by a car in the dark.

Thank you for the flip side of the 'Rich" report.

However, you snide comment/cheap shot about what Rich
would or wouldn't do is totally uncalled for and most unworthy.

Barnyard BOb - netiquette police wannabee

Old January 7th 04, 06:17 PM
Rich S.

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
People were allowed to sled all day on Queen Anne hill. Although the road
was closed, it crossed several cross streets, some of them very busy.
Although there are stoplights at each of these intersections, it is

obvious
that sledders, skiers, snowboarders, snowmobiles, and all the rest were

not
going to pay the slightest attention to them. Several sledders were nearly
hit by cars on Mercer Way. The police closed down the sledding at dusk,
believing that it was too dangerous for the winter recreation activity to
continue at night.

As is typical in Seattle, when the police tried to close down the hill,

the
crowd started to riot. No doubt Rich S. would have been the first to try

sue the city if he had gotten run over by a car in the dark.

1. My comments were directly in response to the TV coverage - I wasn't
there.
2. I am referring to the three-block area between Valley Street and Prospect
Street. There is but one intersection at Aloha Street and it is far from
busy. Mercer Street is several blocks away and is a major thoroughfare.
Anybody sledding there is an idiot.
3. I saw the tape of the police rousting the sledders well before dusk.
4. It should be typical everywhere to resist illegal government actions. If
the street is closed to traffic, the cops have no business running people
off.
5. You have no idea of what I would do under any circumstances. Are you
making a statement of fact, O self-proclaimed world famous flight
instructor?

Rich S.

Old January 7th 04, 06:36 PM
C J Campbell

"nafod40" wrote in message
| C J Campbell wrote:
|
| As is typical in Seattle, when the police tried to close down the hill,
the
| crowd started to riot. No doubt Rich S. would have been the first to try
| sue the city if he had gotten run over by a car in the dark.
|
| I wonder who the driver would have been...

Anybody with any sense at all left the Peoples' Republic of Seattle a long
time ago. The entire population now consists of Congressman James "Baghdad
Jim" McDermott's supporters and those who are outraged by anything involving
the Seattle Police or Fire Department, including rescuing women who are
being raped, putting out fires, etc. Seriously, Seattle residents have been
known to riot simply because police have attempted to halt these crimes
while in progress. The mob asserted a right to rape women during Mardi Gras,
for example.

Frankly, I think the police and firefighters should just go on strike and
let the damned place burn to the ground.

Old January 7th 04, 06:43 PM
C J Campbell

"Rich S." wrote in message

| 1. My comments were directly in response to the TV coverage - I wasn't
| there.

I saw the same TV coverage. What I got out of it was that Seattleites, as
usual, were behaving like lunatics.

| 2. I am referring to the three-block area between Valley Street and
Prospect
| Street. There is but one intersection at Aloha Street and it is far from
| busy. Mercer Street is several blocks away and is a major thoroughfare.
| Anybody sledding there is an idiot.

If you watched the TV coverage then you know that the sledders were going
far beyond the three block area and crossing Mercer Street.

| 3. I saw the tape of the police rousting the sledders well before dusk.

It was dusk. It looked lighter on TV because the cameras have automatic
exposure adjustment. Sunset this time of year is 4:30, about the time that
police closed the area.

| 4. It should be typical everywhere to resist illegal government actions.
If
| the street is closed to traffic, the cops have no business running people
| off.

The city has every duty and right to mitigate dangerous situations. The city
issued a lawful order.

| 5. You have no idea of what I would do under any circumstances. Are you
| making a statement of fact, O self-proclaimed world famous flight
| instructor?

I am not only world famous, but omniscient. I know things about you that
even you do not know. :-)

Old January 7th 04, 06:54 PM
Rich S.

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

The city has every duty and right to mitigate dangerous situations. The

city
issued a lawful order.

To quote Bill the Cat. "Pppphhhhhhwwwwwttttttt !"

Rich S.

Old January 7th 04, 08:00 PM
C J Campbell

"Rich S." wrote in message
| "C J Campbell" wrote in message
|
| The city has every duty and right to mitigate dangerous situations. The
| city
| issued a lawful order.
|
| To quote Bill the Cat. "Pppphhhhhhwwwwwttttttt !"

Don't do that! Now you have clean your computer screen.

I'd rather fly with you than argue with you any day. Tell you what. Call
PAVCO at 800-645-3563 and put yourself on my schedule and N7277M any time
we are free. We'll go flying, my treat. If I get real ambitious, I'll even
make up some sort of " I Flew With the World Famous Flight Instructor"
certificate for you, suitable for framing.

Old January 7th 04, 08:51 PM
Rich S.

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

Don't do that! Now you have clean your computer screen.

I'd rather fly with you than argue with you any day. Tell you what. Call
PAVCO at 800-645-3563 and put yourself on my schedule and N7277M any time
we are free. We'll go flying, my treat. If I get real ambitious, I'll even
make up some sort of " I Flew With the World Famous Flight Instructor"
certificate for you, suitable for framing.

Now you've done it! Gone and spoiled a perfectly good argument - and just
when I was starting to wax eloquent, too.

Ok - but only if you'll risk life and limb for a ride in the Emeraude. I
promise to not push you out (canopy won't open in flight).

Rich "Oh waa!" S.