BRS chutes. Why doesn't everyone use them?

Old January 22nd 11, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default BRS chutes. Why doesn't everyone use them?

On Friday, January 21, 2011 4:35:43 PM UTC-8, bildan wrote:
I'd be more impressed with BRS chutes if videos of the tests didn't
show the flight test guy jumping with his own personal 'chute after
the BRS deployment. It suggests he knows riding the darn thing down
isn't good for his health.

When's the last time you saw a live person (dummy?) testing an automotive airbag? They save lives and prevent major injury, but I sure wouldn't want to try one unless I *really* needed it.

As they say, the BRS will save the pilot's life, but the ride is likely to be bumpy. The glider will likely be sacrificed to soften the landing, so it might need some modifications to have some crush zones and some structure to prevent a long sharp object from penetrating the cockpit.

-Tom

BRS chutes. Why doesn't everyone use them? Sparkorama Soaring 53 January 26th 11 01:55 PM
F-104 Chutes out Glen in Orlando Aviation Photos 0 October 9th 09 07:01 PM
Square chutes - ExtreemSports.wmv (0/1) Tech Support Soaring 4 December 15th 08 07:40 PM
Square Chutes... sisu1a Soaring 4 December 9th 08 06:04 PM
Puchaz spin - now wearing 'chutes Bill Daniels Soaring 60 February 14th 04 08:08 PM