Garmin 195 screen problem

Old November 27th 03, 06:50 PM
BPattonsoa

Default Garmin 195 screen problem

I have a Garmin 195 that had its screen replaced about one year ago after about
two years use. Departing Sedona yesterday, the screen started to fade. Since
I had three waypoints to get through the mess around Palmdale, the muck was
thick, centers were turning down flight following, and my ship does not have
any antique navigation radios, just a compass, it was not nice. Checked the
connections and did not get better. After a while, it faded to almost
invisable, then returned to readable. The top of the 195 was hot. It lasted
til landing, but damn..

Anyone have any ideas, except to upgrade? Have others experienced this type of
problem? When they replaced the screen lase year, they put in a couple of
additinal components and charged a bunch.

Bruce Patton
Old November 27th 03, 09:42 PM
- Barnyard BOb -

I have a Garmin 195 that had its screen replaced about one year ago after about
two years use. Departing Sedona yesterday, the screen started to fade. Since
I had three waypoints to get through the mess around Palmdale, the muck was
thick, centers were turning down flight following, and my ship does not have
any antique navigation radios, just a compass, it was not nice. Checked the
connections and did not get better. After a while, it faded to almost
invisable, then returned to readable. The top of the 195 was hot. It lasted
til landing, but damn..

Anyone have any ideas, except to upgrade? Have others experienced this type of
problem? When they replaced the screen lase year, they put in a couple of
additinal components and charged a bunch.

Bruce Patton

I hate to hear that Garmin charged a bunch, but I'd call 'em
and see if it was worth sending back. If not, don't fret.
FWIW - I've got a Garmin 295, but I'm not entirely happy with it.

It's out of my RV-3 as soon as I get around to installing
my iPAQ 2210 with Sentinel Compact Flash GPS and
ANYWHERE MAP software. I've also installed Delorme
Street Atlas USA, Mapopolis Navigator, tons of games,
mp3 songs and other good windoz stuff. Check out....

http://www.anywheremap.com/pages/awm_systems.htm
http://www.delorme.com/software.htm
http://64.208.105.215/home.jsp?s=106...43.72436434797

Barnyard BOb - living 26 miles from downtown Garmin

Old November 27th 03, 09:54 PM
Ed Wischmeyer

and other good windoz stuff.

Ain't no good windoz stuff. All junk. Bah, humbug!

Why is Monopoly Bill worth so much? Figure out how many hours you've
wasted rebooting, reformatting, trying to figure out manuals that didn't
make sense, undoing things that the program did all by itself to "help"
you, trying to get things to work as advertised, fussin' with viruses
and security flaws, etc. Figure out how much your time is worth per
hour. Figure out how many millions of people have had the same problems
as you. Multiply those all together to get Monopoly Bill's net worth.

Monopoly Bill hasn't created wealth, he's just transferred it -- like a crook.

Bah! Humbug!

Ed "you have to pay me to use microsquish products" Wischmeyer
Old November 27th 03, 10:21 PM
Jim Weir

Ed and I graduated from the same charm school.

{;-)

Jim

"Cy Galley"

-Ed why don't you tell us how you really feel!
-
-"Ed Wischmeyer" wrote in message
-
- and other good windoz stuff.
-
- Ain't no good windoz stuff. All junk. Bah, humbug!
http://www.rst-engr.com
Old November 27th 03, 11:17 PM
Del Rawlins

On 27 Nov 2003 11:54 AM, Ed Wischmeyer posted the following:

Ain't no good windoz stuff. All junk. Bah, humbug!

I miss two programs after moving to the Mac. Autocad and JASC Paintshop
Pro. Neither of which is a Microsoft product.

Why is Monopoly Bill worth so much?

What monopoly? My G4 runs OS X just fine, has for nearly 2 years with
hardly a break.

Figure out how many hours you've
wasted rebooting, reformatting, trying to figure out manuals that
didn't make sense, undoing things that the program did all by itself
to "help" you, trying to get things to work as advertised, fussin'
with viruses and security flaws, etc.

I don't do any of that anymore, except for occasionally with the PC that
is kept on life support in the garage to run an old version of Autocad
LT. One thing I have observed is that Microsoft application software
actually runs pretty good once it is separated from the Microsoft
operating system. 'Course, they had to hire Mac programmers to write
those versions so go figure.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old November 28th 03, 03:23 AM
John Stricker

Or, perhaps you should just learn how to use it.. 7 machines here running
everything from 98SE, ME, XP home, XP Pro. Almost never have a problem.
Then again, I don't intentionally try to do things to create myself
problems.

Even my ME box that I use for my internet gateway has been running about 60
days since the last re-boot.

John Stricker

Old November 28th 03, 03:34 AM
Ed Wischmeyer

I don't intentionally try to do things to create myself
problems.

Like, try to use the advertised functionality? or the "help" systems? :-)

Ed "it's the software, stupid!" Wischmeyer
Old November 28th 03, 03:53 AM
- Barnyard BOb -

Jim Weir wrote:

Ed and I graduated from the same charm school.

{;-)

Jim

++++++++++++++++++++

Bragging or complaining? g

Charming Barnyard BOb -

Old November 28th 03, 04:06 AM
- Barnyard BOb -

and other good windoz stuff.

Ain't no good windoz stuff. All junk. Bah, humbug!

Ed "you have to pay me to use microsquish products" Wischmeyer

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What any of us personally feels, matters not, Ed....

My PPC is useless without an operating system.
When you or anyone offers something more suitable,
I will certainly welcome and embrace it.....
Like I currently do with LYCOMINGS & CONTINENTALS.

In the meantime, let me rephrase....
"and other good stuff that runs in windoz."

Sorry for generating the heartburn, ya'll.

NOT. g

Barnyard BOb --

Old November 28th 03, 04:16 AM
BPattonsoa

This group is simply amazing. Ask a simple question about problems with a
Garmin and you start a minor flame war.

So, does anyone want to answer the original question? Anyone having a lot of
problems with Garmin 195 screens?

Bruce Patton
RV-6A 596S
HP-18 5596S