100 Hour Inspections

Old November 29th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Default 100 Hour Inspections

I was reading some FARs. Specifically, 91.409 section (b).

"(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may
operate an aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) for hire,
and no person may give flight instruction for hire in an aircraft which that
person provides, unless within the preceding 100 hours of time in service the
aircraft has received an annual or 100-hour inspection and been approved for
return to service in accordance with part 43 of this chapter or has received
an inspection for the issuance of an airworthiness certificate in accordance
with part 21 of this chapter. The 100-hour limitation may be exceeded by not
more than 10 hours while en route to reach a place where the inspection can
be done. The excess time used to reach a place where the inspection can be
done must be included in computing the next 100 hours of time in service."

So let's say I get an Annual on my own plane in January, fly 100+ hours by
October, and then hire an instructor in November to get an IPC or a BFR. Have
I violated this FAR? Do I need get a 100 hour inspection or another annual
first?

Old November 29th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

Your instructor is not providing the aircraft, you are, so this does not
apply. "no person may give flight instruction for hire in an aircraft which
that person (the CFI) provides...."
Jim

Old November 29th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Judah wrote:
So let's say I get an Annual on my own plane in January, fly 100+ hours by
October, and then hire an instructor in November to get an IPC or a BFR. Have
I violated this FAR? Do I need get a 100 hour inspection or another annual
first?

Only if the CFI is renting the airplane to you.

-Robert

Old November 29th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Poitras

Judah wrote:
[...]

"that person" refers to the instructor, not the instructee. You don't need to
get a 100 hour inspection on your own plane if you don't rent it out.

--
Don Poitras
Old November 29th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Jim Burns" wrote in
:

Your instructor is not providing the aircraft, you are, so this does not
apply. "no person may give flight instruction for hire in an aircraft
which that person (the CFI) provides...."
Jim

I misread the object of "that person". Makes much more sense now...
Old November 29th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

You own the airplane and have hired a pilot/CFI. This is
not a "for hire "operation. However if you allow the CFI to
sell instruction to other people in your airplane you need
the 100 inspections.

Also, renting an airplane to even a student pilot is not a
"for hire" operation and the airplane does not need the 100
inspection.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

. ..

Old November 29th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

renting out is not for hire, unless the renter is using the
airplane for instruction given or providing charter
services.

Old November 29th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Jim Macklin posted:

renting out is not for hire, unless the renter is using the
airplane for instruction given or providing charter
services.

Oh? If "renting out is not for hire", then what does a flying club or an
FBO do? The ARE required to have 100 hr. inspections, even if they aren't
providing charter services or giving instruction.

Neil

Old November 29th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Their own rules may require 100 hour inspections, but the
FAA does not for airplanes just used for rental. A renter
is considered the "operator" of the airplane.

Even an FBO that is using a fleet of airplanes for
instruction, that are required to have 100 hour inspections
for the instruction [ read dual flights] can rent those same
airplanes to a student or any other person even if the 100
hour inspecdtion is due [ time up].

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
| Recently, Jim Macklin
posted:

Old November 29th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

On Nov 28, 10:24 pm, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:
You own the airplane and have hired a pilot/CFI. This is
not a "for hire "operation. However if you allow the CFI to
sell instruction to other people in your airplane you need
the 100 inspections.

Also, renting an airplane to even a student pilot is not a
"for hire" operation and the airplane does not need the 100
inspection.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Is this true? If I own an airplane and a friend who is a CFI keeps
borrowing my plane to instruct a third party for his personal fee, the
plane needs a hundred hour inspection? I'm new at this game, but that
doesn't sound right. My understanding is that if the plane is a rental,
it needs a hundred hour inspection. I am certain that the flying club I
belong to has hundred hour inspections only due to the club rules not
the FAA. The planes in my club are considered owned by each member, not
rented.
Lou