CHEAP Los Angeles C-172 Flying Club CHEAP

Old April 6th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.marketplace
xyzzy

Default CHEAP Los Angeles C-172 Flying Club CHEAP

On Apr 4, 8:51*pm, "Mike" nospam @ aol.com wrote:

5) You may wish to opt for a wet rate instead of a dry rate. *There's
nothing worse than going out to the plane and finding it low on fuel, then
having to track down who flew it last. *It WILL happen. *Some members will
also routinely leave the plane a gallon or three off full and hope others
won't notice. *You can charge a wet rate based on the price of fuel at the
field, so if someone goes someplace and buys more expensive fuel they have
to make up the difference. *There's advantages and disadvantages both ways,
so you just have to figure out what works best for your situation.

Just one comment on this point. I belong to a flying club that
charges a wet rate that we adjust weekly to reflect actual 100LL
prices at our home field, which is about right in the middle for
cost. We use historical fuel burn rates on the planes, multiply it
by the current cost at the field, and add a dry rate to come up with
this rate.

We reimburse in full for fuel no matter where and at what price
purchased. The philosophy behind that is safety, we want our pilots
to always have sufficient fuel and not try to stretch to get to a
cheaper field to save a few bucks out of pocket. Now if a member is
consistently abusing it by purchasing $7 fuel at Signature at a big
city airport when there is a cheaper FBO available on the field we
might counsel him, but we've really not had a significant problem with
this.