DHC-2 Beaver bites the dust - float plane question

Old June 15th 09, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Default DHC-2 Beaver bites the dust - float plane question

I'm hoping someone that knows something about float aircraft can explain
why this guy went off the road.

The video:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ed6_1244954465

The only print article I found has a goofy explanation/excuse about a gust.
You can see the windsock at 41 seconds in the video.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/v-gal...822922-t3.html

I just don't understand why he lost control of the aircraft.

--
Dallas
Old June 15th 09, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Oh.. I'm sorry guys... that wasn't the link to the print article. This is
the link to the print article:

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/822923.html

--
Dallas
Old June 15th 09, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

he did not go off the road..
he missed the canal
he pulled it off before it really wanted to fly
right side up first, more drag on the left turned him towards the bank
he stalled it onto the grass

Old June 15th 09, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 22:16:00 -0700, BT wrote:

he did not go off the road..
he missed the canal

Checking the METARs for June 6th at PALH

http://www.uswx.com/us/stn/?code=d&n=300&stn=PALH

Wind was 270°- 320° Speeds from 0 to 7

Not much crosswind... :-/

--
Dallas
Old June 15th 09, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bod43

On 15 June, 06:32, Dallas wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 22:16:00 -0700, BT wrote:
he did not go off the road..
he missed the canal

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...08025&t=h&z=17

I did not know that there were that many floatplanes in the whole
world.
100's - at a guess - on the one lake!
Old June 15th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Dallas" wrote:

I just don't understand why he lost control of the aircraft.

Looks like he held back elevator the whole time and never let the floats get
truly on plane. The extra water drag kept him from getting flying speed in
time. Then he horsed it off and stalled it.

I wonder if momma will ever let him take her and the kids flying again.

--
Dan

T182T at 4R4

Old June 15th 09, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:04:58 -0500, Dan Luke wrote:

Looks like he held back elevator the whole time and never let the floats get
truly on plane.

Ok... watching again I like what you're saying. He's one of those pilots
that holds the elevator back and "lets the airplane take off by itself".
So, the airplane got light and one float lifted momentarily causing him to
turn towards shore. His technique probably works fine in open water, but
not trying to shoot the gap in a narrow canal.

His "gust" excuse doesn't fly.. watch the water, it's glass where the wing
lifts.

Damn video cameras everywhere, you can't get away with anything anymore.

--
Dallas
Old June 15th 09, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:04:58 -0500, Dan Luke wrote:

I wonder if momma will ever let him take her and the kids flying again.

My guess would be no. :- )

--
Dallas
Old June 15th 09, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 06:20:11 -0700 (PDT), bod43 wrote:

I did not know that there were that many floatplanes in the whole
world. 100's - at a guess - on the one lake!

Ha.. you did the same thing I did but your link only shows half the planes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...jun-15-002.jpg

Most airports don't have that many land aircraft.

--
Dallas
Old June 15th 09, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
eclipsme

Dallas wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:04:58 -0500, Dan Luke wrote:

I wonder if momma will ever let him take her and the kids flying again.

My guess would be no. :- )

Nor should she! lol
Harvey