WINGS program...

Old June 15th 09, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Default WINGS program...

"Kobra" wrote in message ...

"BT" wrote in message
The old and new wings program took up more of my time in my military
flying career than a normal Flight Review. So I never participated.
BT

One thing no one mentioned: Some insurance carriers give a discount on
your insurance premium if you complete the WINGS program. I know this is
true for mine and I assume it's true whether you rent or own.

Kobra

My renters insurance offer discounts for additional training, it does not
have to be the Wings Program, it can be the online training offered by AOPA.
BT

Old June 15th 09, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

I talked to an FAA guy at the Golden West show over the weekend. He
says the new WINGS program definitely counts as a BFR, but it is quite
different than the old one.
--
He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is
filled with falsehoods and errors.
Old June 16th 09, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Bob Fry wrote:

I talked to an FAA guy at the Golden West show over the weekend. He
says the new WINGS program definitely counts as a BFR, but it is quite
different than the old one.

That's what I was told here too, except that the official text --
specifically AC 61-91H -- from the FAA says otherwise. Hence my problem,
and my decision to play it safe and get myself a BFR.

That said, I like the idea of the Wings program a lot, and will keep
participating; in fact the new version looks good and seems to be an
improvement over the previous program.

The way I see it, the Wings program serves two purposes: a) recurrent
training, learning new stuff, meeting interesting people, etc. b) legal
issues and a** covering (via 14 cfr 61.56(e) and relevant texts). As far
as the new program is concerned, I am quite happy about what I understand
of part a), but not convinced about part b) yet -- until I see a
clarification, in writing, in an official publication (as opposed to just
hear-say and some stuff on the web). But then I am picky.

--Sylvain

ps anyway, the BFR thing was interesting, I didn't waste my time.