Vedubber ????

Old May 17th 09, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tri-Pacer[_3_]

Default Vedubber ????

I haven't seen any posts from Vedubber (sp?) recently

How's he doing

Paul
N1431A
KSDM

Old May 17th 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

Tri-Pacer wrote:
I haven't seen any posts from Vedubber (sp?) recently

How's he doing

Paul
N1431A
KSDM

He posted the afternoon of may 14th from Doyle's email and
at 4:29 pm on the fifteenth.

Brian W
Old May 18th 09, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob

On May 17, 12:48*pm, "Tri-Pacer" wrote:
I haven't seen any posts from Vedubber (sp?) recently

Dear Paul (and the Group),

Thank you very much for asking. I don't think any one can do better
than to have their friend's ask how they are doing. Which is pretty
damn good, all things considered. Medically, the cancer's 'scores'
have been substantially flat for the last eight weeks. The oncologist
(Dr. Alberto Bessudo) says I can say it is in remission(!!) if I wish
but he also pointed out that the cancer is still there and could
resume an active role at any time.

Dr. Bessudo is one very cool dude when it comes to cancer. He said
the cancer is doing exactly what he expected it to do when treated
according to the regime he worked out (ie, an aggressive combination
of radiation followed by chemotherapy). But he also said he took my
'strength' into account when he laid out this particular regime. His
definition of 'strength' is not easy to define. It includes my
physical strength -- the chemotherapy that knocked down the cancer has
reduced me to about 160 pounds (from about 230) but he was also taking
my mental attitude into account... along with the 'strength' of my
family and friends.

The chemotherapy continues, along with the weekly blood tests. And
they continue to tinker with my medication, fine-tuning the dosages of
the sixteen (!) drugs I am taking, so that while there is no cure for
multiple myeloma, once the tumor has been blasted with radiation it's
possible to reduce the effects of the cancer to something akin to a
chronic ailment.

The last remaining problem is the pain, which prevents me from
standing for more than about fifteen minutes at a time. If I take
enough pain-killers to eliminate the pain, it usually puts me to
sleep.

The pain is focused on my back, where the tumor has literally
destroyed my fifth lumbar vertebrae. We are presently trying
epidermal injections. The goal here is to prevent the nerves in my
back from carrying the 'pain signals.' So far, there has been a
dramatic improvement. Not only can I stand up nearly twice as long as
before, I have been able to drive my 1965 VW bus. Before, I was
unable to depress the clutch due to the pain.

Aviation-wise, I have been showing how to build a wooden airplane
using low-cost lumber from the local lumber yard. The goal here is to
show people how to build a simple, safe airplane powered by a VW
engine. The most recent road-block has been the fact a lot of would-
be builders do not own a table saw, the use of which is a virtual
necessity. My response has been to show people how they can use an
inexpensive portable circular saw to build themselves a table-saw. I
have drawn up the plans for such a saw and have been building one,
taking pictures as I go along.

-R.S.Hoover
Old May 18th 09, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Copperhead

On May 17, 12:48*pm, "Tri-Pacer" wrote: I haven't seen any posts from Vedubber (sp?) recently

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*----------------------------------

Aviation-wise, I have been showing how to build a wooden airplane
using low-cost lumber from the local lumber yard. *The goal here is to
show people how to build a simple, safe airplane powered by a VW
engine. *The most recent road-block has been the fact a lot of would-
be builders do not own a table saw, the use of which is a virtual
necessity. *My response has been to show people how they can use an
inexpensive portable circular saw to build themselves a table-saw. *I
have drawn up the plans for such a saw and have been building one,
taking pictures as I go along.

-R.S.Hoover

Bob,

Without any doubt you are one of the most positive minded persons I've
ever encountered, I would think your outlook on life and desire to
keep on with your project's was evident to your Doctor and all other's
around you. Such an outlook on life is a rare thing so even though
you've endured sickness and pain you've not given in to anything. Not
to be disrespectfull or ugly I'd say that "your a tough old goat with
a lot of miles left in you". Keep up the good fight and all of the
intresting topics you post.

Joe
Old May 18th 09, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Dear Paul (and the Group),

Thank you very much for asking. I don't think any one can do better
than to have their friend's ask how they are doing. Which is pretty
damn good, all things considered. Medically, the cancer's 'scores'
have been substantially flat for the last eight weeks. The oncologist
(Dr. Alberto Bessudo) says I can say it is in remission(!!) if I wish
***************
Fan-damn-tastic news! Glad to hear it!

I understand the gravity and problem with your pain in your back. I fight a
similar fight, although it does not sound as bad as your pain situation. I
hope you find some relief.

In addition to your other strategies in beating your pain, if you have not
tried accupuncture, you should give it a try. One method of attack will
likely not do it, but the little needles hooked up to some electricity do
seem to help, at least for me.
****************

(I've been) showing how to build a wooden airplane using low-cost lumber
from the local lumber yard.

****************
I'm reading with interest. One other note, though. If a person does not
have a circular saw already, one of the small table top saws can be
purchased for near the same price as a good circular saw.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 18th 09, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob

On May 17, 6:39*pm, Copperhead wrote:

Without any doubt you are one of the most positive minded persons I've
ever encountered...

Dear Joe (and the Group),

In all honesty I would expect you or anyone else to have done exactly
the same thing. The people deserving of praise are the ones who
facilitated my treatment, making sure I was at the proper place at the
appointed time -- making sure my journal was up to date and any
questions I might have were properly researched, so that when I saw a
physician we didn't waste our time with chit-chat; that a drug
reaction experienced two weeks ago was not forgotten by the time I saw
the appropriate physician. Attention to such details and the
maintaining of accurate records, made my treatment far more
effective. At the same time it served to make the physician's staff
aware of the fact that we were playing an active role in my
treatment.

-Bob
Old May 18th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob

On May 17, 8:02*pm, "Morgans" wrote:

I'm reading with interest. *One other note, though. *If a person does not
have a circular saw already, one of the small table top saws can be
purchased for near the same price as a good circular saw.

Dear Jim,

Roger that. Almost ANYTHING would be better than trying to BUILD a
table saw. But the people showing the most interest in the 'Chugger'
project are not here in the States, where small table-top saws are
available -- many of them are in countries where they don't even have
electricity. Think about that one for a minute. Turning out 3/4"
square longerons (ie, or 19mm) using a 'stomp-saw' and a lot of
enthusiasm. The DIY table saw is for those wealthy enough to not only
have electrical power, but who have access to things such as used
portable saws. And as you've probably guessed, most of them have
ALREADY made some effort to apply their portable saw to the task of
turning out rib-sticks, spar-caps, longerons and so forth.

One thing coming out of all this is a fuller appreciation of my
statement that knot-holes will automatically fall out of the
equation. That is, the available lumber is cut according to the
pieces for which there is the greatest need -- typically rib cabs and
longerons. Large knots typically cause the piece to break at the knot,
leaving the builder to scarf the pieces together. But if they keep
cutting, re-sawing the pieces which fail inspection until they arrive
at the smallest pieces -- the 1/4" rib-sticks -- by the time you
arrive at that point the matter of suitable wood for longerons and
spar caps has resolved itself.

A point often overlooked is that SOME knots ARE allowed (!!) (Read
the manual.)

But the need to make long, accurate cuts is the driving forced behind
the table saw project. And even that carries a hidden message:
Flying IS possible, even at a village level. All it takes is for
someone to step outside of the 'box' -- to look at the problems from a
new perspective.

I doubt we will see many POWERED lightplanes -- there simply isn't
enough suitable engines. But primary gliders are well within the
capabilities of virtually everyone.

-Bob

Old May 19th 09, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob

On May 18, 4:53*pm, Jerry Wass wrote:

But then they may have assorted sizes of BAMBOO !!---With some rawhide
strips, or sinuew sp? & some hide/hoof glue----??

Bamboo -- the world's largest GRASS -- has excellent strength-to-
weight properties... but only in the proper orientation. Many early
flying machines made good use of bamboo but it took careful
craftsmanship to ensure it could carry the designed load. Normally, a
plug was shaped to a sliding fit in the open end, immediately adjacent
to a node. The plug was glued into the bamboo then drilled to accept
bolts, typically in two directions.

My own experiments have been limited to the use of bamboo shishkabob
skewers as diagonal members in ailerons, flaps and control surfaces.
I've used a variety of methods to secure the bamboo, including lacing
it in place with kevlar roving then smearing both sides of the laces
with urethane glue. But tests showed I didn't need the roving -- that
simply laying the bamboo in a bed of urethane glue gave about the same
strength. Strength-wise, the most significant gains came from using
two skewers vs one. The LENGTH of the urethane glue bed was a good
indicator of strength.

-Bob

Old May 22nd 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Many early
flying machines made good use of bamboo but it took careful
craftsmanship to ensure it could carry the designed load.

You'll see it in Curtiss machines. I recently found one in the
Albuquerque airport. Right inside the front door. It was a one-off
built under license in the early teens (wish I could remember the
details).

I've also flown with it many times. My "Stormy Petrel" series of hang-
gliders were all bamboo framed. The design was a combination of the
original Kicenuik Batso and the Conduit Condor, with a little "Frey"
thrown in. Further inspiration came from Dan Poynter's book, and
photos of a guy named Chuck Slu%!#$^$%TWFQ#$% flying something
similar. The sail "fabric" was 4mil polyethylene stitched together
with an ordinary office stapler. I made my own harness and hang-strap
from nylon webbing. Now this definately fits into the "not-higher-than-
you-can-fall" category, and the ship typically lasted one season only.
But the bamboo was free, the bolts could be reused, and the whole ship
could be fabricated in a weekend. I did it three times using only a
coping saw, 1/4" drill, stapler, measuring tape, and pen-knife. That's
it.

Now 15 seconds in the air may not seem like its even worth it to the
rest of this group. But, my first flight as PIC was just as amazing to
me as crossing the Atlantic was to Lindberg. And I think that if one
split bamboo into lumber and worked it carefully, most of the parts of
a Primary could be made. Longrons and spars are the big issue since
tubular bamboo is really hard to deal with.

Just a few thoughts,
Harry Frey
lowest of the American low-buck flyers

Old June 8th 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Monk

On May 17, 7:12*pm, Bob wrote:
On May 17, 12:48*pm, "Tri-Pacer" wrote: I haven't seen any posts from Vedubber (sp?) recently

Dear Paul (and the Group),

Thank you very much for asking. *I don't think any one can do better
than to have their friend's ask how they are doing. *Which is pretty
damn good, all things considered. * Medically, the cancer's 'scores'
have been substantially flat for the last eight weeks. *The oncologist
(Dr. Alberto Bessudo) says I can say it is in remission(!!) if I wish
but he also pointed out that the cancer is still there and could
resume an active role at any time.

SNIPPED
-R.S.Hoover

Great to hear Bob! If I was closer, I'd offer to take you to your
next appointment or to see a movie or something.

Monk